Sox trade for Nick Swisher

DaBearSox

Well for some reason my work blocks soxtalk but not talkbears...so just thought i'd post this here

In acquiring Swisher, White Sox general manager Ken Williams admittedly gave up quite a bounty of young talent from a Minor League system that entered the present offseason slightly less than stacked with top prospects. Oakland picked up outfielder Ryan Sweeney, left-handed starter Gio Gonzalez and right-handed starter Fautino De Los Santos in a major boost to the franchise's rebuilding program.

Thoughts?

Solid pick up.

I hate when people drool all over guys like Gio & DLS.

Both guys haven't even pitched above A or AA ball.

I gotta agree with you there....I thought Sweeny might have been something special though, I bet Kenny offered Anderson first but Beene wouldn't bite...

And Konerko unless he gets moved. People will grow to love Swish just like they did Rowand.

Paulie is my homeboy, i hope he doesn't get moved...(plus I would have to go and get new jerseys since my Iguchi got retired last year)

I gotta say Kenny really pulled something out of his ass after biffing the Rowand signing. Both of those players play with the same mentality...and I think Swish is going to have a monster year at the Cell.

From what I have read from the Oakland fans, they are pretty pissed with Beene on this one.

wow...I am actually excited for the season now

I despise this move. You should never trade 2 potential no. 2's or aces without at least getting pitching in return, and please don't include a young sweet swinging lefty with loads of potential on top of it. Call me crazy, but Sweeney and DLS will be haunting us for a while. I saw DLS in that summer minor league all-star game, I forget the name of it, and DLS has pure nasty stuff. I hate how people say, "well he's 2-3 years away, and we don't even know if he will be good." DLS is the best pitching we have had in a while and we will really regret trading him. And I hate it when you trade a natural like Ryan Sweeney. He has a natural swing and just has loads of talent. Give me a freakin break if you think he will suck because he hit a bump in the road when he was 21 in AAA and in a cup of coffee in the bigs.

I despise this move. You should never trade 2 potential no. 2's or aces without at least getting pitching in return, and please don't include a young sweet swinging lefty with loads of potential on top of it. Call me crazy, but Sweeney and DLS will be haunting us for a while. I saw DLS in that summer minor league all-star game, I forget the name of it, and DLS has pure nasty stuff. I hate how people say, "well he's 2-3 years away, and we don't even know if he will be good." DLS is the best pitching we have had in a while and we will really regret trading him. And I hate it when you trade a natural like Ryan Sweeney. He has a natural swing and just has loads of talent. Give me a freakin break if you think he will suck because he hit a bump in the road when he was 21 in AAA and in a cup of coffee in the bigs.

You hate to trade away pitching, but they still are prospects. There have been more elite prospects that have never made it compared to ones that did. That is the nature of the game. I would say there is a good chance that one of those 3 will be an elite major league player over their career, one will be a fringe player, and one will turn out to be nothing. That is just how it works.

Is there a risk in that deal? A ton. However, if you don't take risks you end up like the Pirates. Remember the Beckett/Lowell deal for the BoSox. That was a huge risk and look how it turned out.

If the Sox farm system was rated so low with these guys in the system, how come these guys are so valuable now to other teams? The A's now have 5 of the Sox Top 10 prospects, but I thought the A's were the team that is great at drafting young players?

I heard he threw 98-99 consistently and his curve ball was absolutely nasty...

I heard he threw 98-99 consistently and his curve ball was absolutely nasty...

If I recall correctly, he was more in the 96 range but his fastball had tons of movement on it, and his slider or curve was filthy. If he adds an above average changeup, while still learning how to be a pitcher, we are looking at a future ace here. I am telling everyone here right now, DLS will be making the White Sox look silly when we face him in 1-3 years.

Didn't realize you're a professional scout.

DLS hasn't even pitched above A Ball, yet.

So, stop drooling all over him.

K, thanks.

If I recall correctly, he was more in the 96 range but his fastball had tons of movement on it, and his slider or curve was filthy. If he adds an above average changeup, while still learning how to be a pitcher, we are looking at a future ace here. I am telling everyone here right now, DLS will be making the White Sox look silly when we face him in 1-3 years.

So I guess his potential was to be a Carlos Marmol type pitcher?

Hey guys. I like the pickup. Yeah, you gotta give up something to get something. The Sox were really hurting for a quality OF and a guy who can get on base. Last year they struggled in their consistency with scoring runs because of guys like Uribe killing them.

Yeah, I hate to trade away prospects, but then I thought Jeff Liefer was gonna be a superstar and I'm sure Scott Ruffcorn went out the door with a lot of hopes as well.

The Sox have added flexibility in this guy being able to play some first base.

I'm really wondering today about the renewed rumors of Pauly Konks going west in exchange for Figgins and E. Santana. Figgins would be an excellent fit on the Sox, but Santana was soooo bad last season. If he pitched like he did the previous two years, then fine.