Many solid signings or 1/2 big signings?

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I was thinking that maybe we should go after solid and just above average OL men then just 1 or 2 big name guys, like Faneca. We could get a guy like Stacy Andrews from Cincy who would only demand around $5-$6 million a year, and Jason Brown from Baltimore for the equal price of Andrews. With saving money there, we could then sign Berrian, DJ Hackett/Bryant Johnson, and maybe Ayanbedejo.

Or, would you rather us address the WR position in the draft and just spend all the cap room on Faneca?

I was thinking that maybe we should go after solid and just above average OL men then just 1 or 2 big name guys, like Faneca. We could get a guy like Stacy Andrews from Cincy who would only demand around $5-$6 million a year, and Jason Brown from Baltimore for the equal price of Andrews. With saving money there, we could then sign Berrian, DJ Hackett/Bryant Johnson, and maybe Ayanbedejo.

Or, would you rather us address the WR position in the draft and just spend all the cap room on Faneca?

You know what is interesting to me? We look at our needs for the team. We are concerned about our OL, WR, & QB. We will be losing ? Briggs. We have a ? mark at RB, & depth at S.

When we go to a site like Football's Future where they rank Free Agents in the order they feel are best to worst I notice that at QB Rex is #2 behind Anderson who likely will stay with CLE making Rex #1, At WR Moss is #1 but Berrian is #2, At OL R Brown of the Bears is listed #1 with Feneca #2, and of course, Briggs is the #1 LB on the list.

There are some nice OLmen available. Yes, I definitely like Feneca, but there are some other good options as well.

Ruben Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears

An aging veteran, Brown has a lot of experience opening holes for backs and allowing time for passers. He’s a solid guard who holds down his position quite well. If he decides to stick around, he may have a couple of good seasons left. Teams won’t line up to sign him, but there should be a handful that show interest.

Alan Faneca, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and contract extension talks have gone nowhere. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Flozell Adams, UFA, Dallas Cowboys

A veteran left tackle, Adams should hit the market and receive decent interest. A second-round pick in 1998, Adams has developed into one of the league’s better offensive linemen. His size, experience, and performance will lure teams into making a considerable offer for his services. The Cowboys are developing young talent behind him, and depending on how that youth pans out the rest of the season, the team could allow him to leave in favor of saving some money.

Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers

With Gross’ contract voiding at season’s end, the Panthers will need to increase his salary in order to keep him around. The ownership seems to agree that he deserves a pay raise, and the team appears to want to keep him around as their starting right tackle. A former first-round selection who has played well, Gross will be looking for a considerably larger check come next season.

Ryan Lilja, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

A quality guard, Lilja is relatively young and has a Super Bowl ring to call his own. The Colts will do well to sign him to an extension, but there’s a chance that Lilja tests the market. In reality, the system that Lilja plays within is a nice fit, and he gets to protect Peyton Manning, so he could easily stay.

Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He’s 25 and is listed at 6’7” while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team’s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the potential he has shown on the field.

Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

A big, experienced guard, Womack could get a decent offer from any team missing out on a top tier target like Faneca. If Womack isn’t the outright starter in Seattle this season, look for him to find work elsewhere with an expanded role guaranteed.

Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

Scott is the starting right guard for one of the top offensive line units in the entire NFL, and his ability to help protect Peyton Manning should equate to a nice contract number. Indianapolis has found a way to retain most of their line talent in recent seasons, and it should come as no surprise if Scott is locked into a long-term deal in the near future.

Todd Steussie UFA St. Louis Rams

Steussie has been a solid offensive tackle for several years, but he was placed on injured reserve earlier this season because of a foot injury. He’s approaching forty years of age, but he may still have a good season or two in him. He should receive some attention as a free agent simply because of his experience and the position he plays.

Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina Panthers

A late third-round selection in 2004, Wharton has developed into a solid starting left tackle. He has been a key reason for the successes that the Panthers have had, and his absence in 2006 was a key reason for the team’s struggles. Wharton’s rookie contract will expire at season’s end, and his value on the market should be fairly strong. A quality left tackle is hard to find, and team’s looking to bolster an offensive line will have to consider Wharton. Carolina will likely make every effort to work out an extension.

Other Free Agent Offensive Linemen

OG P.J. Alexander UFA Atlanta Falcons

OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns

OT Trai Essex RFA Pittsburgh Steelers

OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA Pittsburgh Steelers

OT Cory Lekkerkerker RFA Miami Dolphins

OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks

OG Brian Rimpf RFA Baltimore Ravens

OG Keydrick Vincent UFA Baltimore Ravens

OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans

Another interesting note, if we could fix our OL in FA with a LOT & OG, and had the luxury of picking another need at #1 instead of OL, (and before I go further, I do not think JA would do this) how about a RB? I say this only because of this note:

An NFL Network analyst reported during NFL total access that Darren McFadden's stock is dropping, he expects to see him drafted no earlier than after the first 20 picks. Darren McFadden is also not considered the the number one RB going to the draft, Illinois RB Rashard Mendenhall is number one.

If this is true I think if McFadden is on the board when the Bears select you will hear the following announcement:

With the 14th selection in the 2008 draft the Chicago Bears trade with the Dallas Cowboys their selection for Dallas' #22 in round 1 and #59 in round 2

For those who are scrambling for their draft trade value charts that is our #14 (1100 pts) for their #22 (780 pts) and #59 (310 pts) or 1100 for 1090.

Jerry Jones is reportedly so much in love with McFadden that he would probably jump all over it. There was speculation that they might even trade for the #1 slot to get him. If they could get him with our #14, wow, they have saved themselves a ton of money and it will cost them much less in trade of picks with us than Miami.

If this is true I think if McFadden is on the board when the Bears select you will hear the following announcement:

For those who are scrambling for their draft trade value charts that is our #14 (1100 pts) for their #22 (780 pts) and #59 (310 pts) or 1100 for 1090.

Jerry Jones is reportedly so much in love with McFadden that he would probably jump all over it. There was speculation that they might even trade for the #1 slot to get him. If they could get him with our #14, wow, they have saved themselves a ton of money and it will cost them much less in trade of picks with us than Miami.

I like the idea, only if Otah is still on the board. At 22, we'll be right in front of Pittsburgh who will probably go Otah, so there we need to take Otah, then at 28, probably Flacco (he might be gone to TB at 20. I still don't see why many think their biggest need is QB...). If Flacco's stock drops a bit in the combine, then maybe we can take James Hardy or Early Doucet at 28, then wait to take Flacco with our 2nd rounder.

When we go to a site like Football's Future where they rank Free Agents in the order they feel are best to worst I notice that at QB Rex is #2 behind Anderson who likely will stay with CLE making Rex #1, At WR Moss is #1 but Berrian is #2, At OL R Brown of the Bears is listed #1 with Feneca #2, and of course, Briggs is the #1 LB on the list.

IMHO, Rex and Berrian heading their respective positions is more indicative of the weakness of that position in FA. As for OG, I too saw the listing showing Brown as the #1 FA, and to be honest, that actually dropped my overall opinion of the web site. I am sorry, but there is simply no argument for this. Brown is coming off an awful, injury pleagued season, and is on the verge of retirement. No question he is still a name, and a legend, but it is Danny Snyder thinking to say he is the best of the group of FAs.

There are some nice OLmen available. Yes, I definitely like Feneca, but there are some other good options as well.

While I am not saying the other FAs are w/o talent, at the same time I think there is simply a big dropoff, not only in terms of talent, but in terms of leadership and other benefits I think Faneca brings to the table.

Flozell Adams - He is a LT and is going to get a boat load in FA. LT is simply too expensive of a position to get a top FA (though I altered on that stance when Walter Jones was available)

Jordan Gross - I believe I saw he is being tagged.

Lija - To be honest, I know little about him, but I personally am not big on getting Indy OL. While I am sure he is good, at the same time, I believe Indy OL tend to be over-rated as I think Manning (and their offense in general) make them look better than they may be.

Starks - I really do not want to get a RT in FA. While we need an upgrade, getting a RT in FA basically gives up upgrading LT, as we would have no where to move Tait. Also, while I know you would like to open up options in the draft, signing a RT would basically close the option to draft an OT, which is among the richest positions in the draft.

There are other FAs listed, but to be honest, I think you begin to see a pretty big dropoff.

Another interesting note, if we could fix our OL in FA with a LOT & OG, and had the luxury of picking another need at #1 instead of OL, (and before I go further, I do not think JA would do this) how about a RB? I say this only because of this note:

One. I do not see many LTs in FA, and the one or two I see are going to be VERY expensive. To get that AND a good OG is going to cost, and cost a whole lot (more than Faneca).

Two. I do not buy McFadden is falling so much he will be there for us. Unless there is an injury we don't know about, I don't see it.

Agreed. Unless he gets to the combine and doctors find an injury, or he runs a 4.5/40, or some other totally unexpected thing, he is not going to free-fall like some are reporting to gain some publicity.

Now the one thing I would give is, it is possible he isn't the first RB off the board. That does happen. Cedrick Benson was far and away the #1 RB on boards, but then Brown moved higher and higher, and eventually did get drafted first. Still, that didn't mean Benson free fell.

Also, what are the chances Dallas gives up their 2 firsts for our 1st? Giving up 2 firsts just to move up 8 spots is kind of wacky.

But hey, Jones is an egotistical freak, so if he wants DMC, he can have my 14th pick, and I'll take those 2 first rounders. Not to mention I guess it does work out b/c the chart has those #'s almost equal.

Also, what are the chances Dallas gives up their 2 firsts for our 1st? Giving up 2 firsts just to move up 8 spots is kind of wacky.

But hey, Jones is an egotistical freak, so if he wants DMC, he can have my 14th pick, and I'll take those 2 first rounders. Not to mention I guess it does work out b/c the chart has those #'s almost equal.

Jones is egotistical, but he's not retarded. Marion Barber is damn good running back, a restricted free agent, and it's likely he'll be locked up by them long before the draft on April 26th. Why the hell would the Cowboys give up two draft picks to take a running-back, when they already have a top-shelf guy? While I assume McFadden will be gone, many mocks have Mendenhall available when the Cowboys draft at #22.

It just doesn't make sense IMO.

Upon giving this some thought...I think that the best move for the Bears is 1/2 big signings. Yes, the Bears have several needs. But there are several other factors that play in to the decision.

First, while they may not have a stud at a lot of positions, even at those positions they tend to have some depth. Running back for example, or WR. They don't have a guy who tore up the league last year, but they have a set of recent high round guys at RB, they have a variety of pieces at WR, and even when you look at the O-Line, they still have a couple of anchors in a guy like Kreutz.

Second...the Bears have 5 draft picks in the top 4 rounds this year, including one at #14. Add that on top of the fact that they essentially red shirted a bunch of their guys last year (Bazuin, Okwo) and, when you throw in injuries (Dvoracek, Brown, Vasher) they have guys coming back who can make them a lot better already on their roster. Even without FA, if this team went in to next season, it wouldn't bear much resemblance to the team that lost those games in a lot of ways because it got banged up pretty early. So they still have players at a lot of positions, so they don't really need to spread out their $ that much.

And third...and perhaps most importantly...they ought to have a clock ticking in their head. Specifically, not just on the O-Line, but on their key player, Urlacher, who is starting to get up there, with neck surgeries, etc. Throw in Harris moving towards FA, Kreutz getting older...the Bears need to try to make that jump back to the top again next year. They can't afford to just plug a hole or two with an average guy and hope to rebuild slowly, they have some reason to want to move quickly to make another run while they still have a few of these key guys.

That's why I think you re-sign Grossman, maybe draft a QB somewhere but not in the first, and try to hit that one big success in FA to plug your biggest hole, which in my eyes last year was the O-Line. Spend the 1st pick on an O-Linemen, go all out and sign Faneca if it's even remotely reasonable, and see if a playoff run isn't still within their grasp with this roster.