Mendenhall

Ed Hochuli 3:16

The more and more I think of it, the more I wouldn't mind if we took Rashard Mendenhall, RB out of Illinois. He is an absolute monster- a muscular, faster, better attituded Cedric Benson.

However, I'd only do this if we could trade Benson to a team for a 2nd rounder, so that way, we could go Flacco in the 2nd, then somebody like Carl Nicks, then Roy Schuening.

What are your thoughts on taking Mendy if we could get a 2nd, or 3rd, for Benson?

no way any team is stupid enough to give up a 2nd or 3rd for Benson. Hell, Randy Moss netted a 4th, IIRC and Benson isnt even in his league in terms of production or pure physical talent.

Plus, I really doubt JA would even think about cutting Benson loose...not to mention the cap hit.

Not going to happen.

The more and more I think of it, the more I wouldn't mind if we took Rashard Mendenhall, RB out of Illinois. He is an absolute monster- a muscular, faster, better attituded Cedric Benson.

However, I'd only do this if we could trade Benson to a team for a 2nd rounder, so that way, we could go Flacco in the 2nd, then somebody like Carl Nicks, then Roy Schuening.

What are your thoughts on taking Mendy if we could get a 2nd, or 3rd, for Benson?

We'd be lucky to get a bag of used jocks for Benson at this point. Plus the cap hit is fairly significant if I can remember. He is with us for 1 more yr.

Peace :bears

Well OK then let's rephrase. JA said that OL should be picked in rounds 2-7. How unhappy would you be if we went Mendenhall at 14, then Flacco with our 2nd rounder?

Mendenhall, Brohm, or Phillips would be the only players I would consider at #14 if I was not selecting OL. So I would not mind that pick. It gives Benson some real competition, and gives us a legit back for the next 5 years. The only issue I see with that scenario would be not drafting an OL until the 3rd. I guess FA will determine some of these possibilities.

Mendenhall, Brohm, or Phillips would be the only players I would consider at #14 if I was not selecting OL. So I would not mind that pick. It gives Benson some real competition, and gives us a legit back for the next 5 years. The only issue I see with that scenario would be not drafting an OL until the 3rd. I guess FA will determine some of these possibilities.

But if we sign a guy like Bell or Faneca for G, and then a guy who might be cheap, like Stacy Andrews for T, then I wouldn't feel so guilty not selecting an OL until round 3.

I've like Mendenahall for a while. I personally would rather have him over about any player on offense for the 1st round depending on how it shakes out.

But if we sign a guy like Bell or Faneca for G, and then a guy who might be cheap, like Stacy Andrews for T, then I wouldn't feel so guilty not selecting an OL until round 3.

Well you can cut Andrews out of that he just got franchised. Who's left, Starks but he has too many knocks on him but a change of scenery might help.

The problem I see is that in 2005 we took Benson in the first round, and in 2007 we took Wolfe in the 3rd round. Any player you draft in rounds 1 through 4 you expect them to be able to start. We've done that twice at the same position and have crap to show for it. I don't think JA can justify doing that 3 times in 4 years.

Our best option is free agency. Justin Fargas resigned with Oakland for 3 years, 12 million, with 6 million guaranteed. I'm guessing we'd be able to sign Julius Jones or Derrick Ward for something in that price range. (Ward looked like a hall-of-famer against the Bears, but it scares me that every running-back the Giants played all season looked monstrous.)

Michael Turner has a better "up-side" but would cost more and has proven less.

Either way, Cedric has ZERO value. If the cap number was minimum, a team might throw us a 6th or 7th rounder for him, just to take a chance. That's it.

There is a cap hit for trading/releasing Benson but iirc it is under $2 Mil, so relatively manageable.

Maybe the Bears can trade Benson to the Broncos for Javon Walker. Not sure who has more trade value, but I know the Broncos like Benson and if anyone could harness Benson's talent, it's them.

That would make Mendenhall (or Jonathan Stewart, who might have more pass-catching ability) more of a possible target. I think Javon Walker has a roster bonus due pretty soon, so I would imagine Denver will want to do something with him relatively soon.

There is a cap hit for trading/releasing Benson but iirc it is under $2 Mil, so relatively manageable.

Maybe the Bears can trade Benson to the Broncos for Javon Walker. Not sure who has more trade value, but I know the Broncos like Benson and if anyone could harness Benson's talent, it's them.

That would make Mendenhall (or Jonathan Stewart, who might have more pass-catching ability) more of a possible target. I think Javon Walker has a roster bonus due pretty soon, so I would imagine Denver will want to do something with him relatively soon.

Why would the Broncos want Benson when they can basically turn any runner into a 1,000 yard back?

Why would the Broncos want Benson when they can basically turn any runner into a 1,000 yard back?

They are likely to lose Travis Henry, and have expressed interest in Benson. They also might have to get rid of Walker, so they might as well turn a malcontent into someone who they can turn into a franchise back. He wouldn't come with any signing bonus, so he'd be fairly cheap for them.

If we pick up Faneca then id def go for Mendy or Stewart in the first round. Bensons a free agent after this year anyway right? I think we have plenty of room financially to have benson stick around for a year till his contract is up. I'd personally take Stewart over Mendy. They are both outrageously huge guys and I seen a piece on Stewart and he seems to have a tremendous work ethic. Both these kids are gonna be studs in this league and IMO gonna be x times better then benson. If Stewart is there and the bears have signed Faneca then they need to seriously take a long hard look at him and snatch him up. Stewart + faneca= playoffs imo