Bears Notes

Da Bears 88

1. He reiterated the club's desire to re-sign Rex Grossman. 2. He had optimism about the club's attempts to re-sign other impending free agents, including WR Bernard Berrian and LB Lance Briggs.

3. He said he wants S Mike Brown back for 2008.

4. He said S Adam Archuleta is expected to return this coming season.

5. He is comfortable with a rookie starting on the offensive line, and likes the depth at tackle for the draft.

6. He is not concerned about allegations the New England Patriots taped the walk-through of the St. Louis Rams the day before Super Bowl XXXVI.

the thing is, you fix the OLine, and you make the QB, RB, and WR all better... I don't know by how much, but you do.

Agreed, but the question is the one you finish w/.

Minny has one of the best OLs in the game. How good did Tavarius Jackson look? He has as good of a run game as a QB can ask for, and when he dropped back, plenty of time. Yet even w/ teams stacked to play the run, and minimal blitzing because that could weaken their run defense, Minny still had an inferior passing game.

Agreed, but the question is the one you finish w/.

Minny has one of the best OLs in the game. How good did Tavarius Jackson look? He has as good of a run game as a QB can ask for, and when he dropped back, plenty of time. Yet even w/ teams stacked to play the run, and minimal blitzing because that could weaken their run defense, Minny still had an inferior passing game.

Minny also has terrible receivers. Also, for the most part their offensive line is better at run blocking.

Minny also has terrible receivers. Also, for the most part their offensive line is better at run blocking.

What do we have. After cutting Moose and losing Berrian, our WRs are not studs either. We can hope all we want about Hester and Bradley, but the evidence thus far does not place them any higher than Minny's group.

As for run v pass blocking, they may be better run blockers, but their pass blocking is damn good too. Especially the left side. McKinnie, Hutch and Birk are great pass blockers.

What do we have. After cutting Moose and losing Berrian, our WRs are not studs either. We can hope all we want about Hester and Bradley, but the evidence thus far does not place them any higher than Minny's group.

As for run v pass blocking, they may be better run blockers, but their pass blocking is damn good too. Especially the left side. McKinnie, Hutch and Birk are great pass blockers.

The Vikings dont really compare to our situation anyway. They went from having a good line to a great line. Right now we have a terrible line so if we improved to even a good line it makes all other aspects of our offense better. Just because Tavaris Jackson doesnt have good passing numbers just means hes not very good.

Also, I said we dont have good receivers and that our qb would benefit from an upgrade at the position. I dont even know why Minny is in this conversation they are in a completely different situation.

The point is, our offensive line getting better makes our QB, RB and WRs better, Jackson has nothing to do with that.

If you want to go the route of examples of what happens to offensive numbers and QB performance with an overhaul of the offensive line you dont have to go much farther than Cleveland.

I agree that an improved OL should help the QB, WRs and RB. I agree w/ that. But I would make two points beyond that.

(a) While I agree that is what should happen, it is not a guarantee. Cle is a great example of how a much improved OL can benefit all. On the other hand, I simply use Minny as an example of how it is not a sure thing.

(B) While an improved OL, or even a great OL, can make everyone look better, bad players still don't end up looking that good. Just like how a great QB can make an average WR look good, and a good WR look great, but a bad WR still looks bad because he still has to catch the ball.

So now, look at our positions we hope the improved OL will help.

QB - I do not know if it is Orton, Rex, Griese, or some unknown. Right now, I think Orton is the most likely to be our starter next year. I believe you are a big Orton supporter. I like him too, but I while I think he has absolutely earned the right to compete for the start, I also have to admit he may be crap. You may disagree, but there is simply not the evidence to prove otherwise yet. Thus, if he is simply not an NFL starting QB, not even an improved OL is going to help him.

RB - While I personally believe in Benson, much like you w/ Orton, and believe an improved OL can make Benson a pro bowl RB, I also have to admit there is every possibility he is simply a bust. I have to admit that an much improved OL may only help Benson improve from crap to not as awful smelling crap.

WR - Will an improved OL help Hester learn where to lineup, or what route to run. Will an improved OL help Bradley stay healthy? Will an imrpoved OL turn Davis into a playmaker?

That was my point. It is easy enough logic to believe (and I do) that improving our OL should improve the rest of the parts. At the same time, I argue that it is also possible that our parts are beyond help, much like Minny. Like Minny, it is possible our QB and WRs simply suck, and no OL can improve them.

I agree that an improved OL should help the QB, WRs and RB. I agree w/ that. But I would make two points beyond that.

This is what I want to talk about. If the OL is fixed, that will definately make the O better as a whole. It's also good to know what areas are good or not. IE: If the Colts O suck, you know it is something other than Manning. This is why it's important to have a strong OL. Now you know if Benson, Rex and Orton is a bust or not, as you can not answer skill position players until it's proven they have protection up front.

We will be thin if we lose Berrian as well...I hope serious thought is being given for Booker, or some good FA WR. Hester could be a good one but it is way too early to tell, Bradley has never stepped up, Davis is solid but relatively unproven and hasn't been a starter. Haas could turn out to be good, but there are too many "could be's" in the current crop of WR's.