ESPN INsiders Running back list

bradjock

Angelo stated that he wanted to make sure he had cap room available, not just to sign his own guys, but to try and sign free agents also. Depending on what happens with Berrian, the most likely positions Angelo will target IMO are RB & OG. I know there's speculation we'll draft a running back, but we've done so early two of the last 3 years and have little to show for it.

I've posted ESPN Insider's running-back story below. I think we'll target Julius Jones. He won't cost nearly what Michael Turner will cost, and most of the other guys aren't much of an upgrade over Adrian Peterson.

Turner and Kreider highlight free-agent RB/FB classes

Running backs

This season's unrestricted and restricted free-agent RBs class is similar to classes of recent seasons. Like big-name quarterbacks, elite running backs never hit the open market, but there are always a few up-and-comers available. These are players who have never been go-to guys but should make very good money in free agency. Teams will often take a chance on a backup RB, hoping he can ramp up his production to become an excellent No. 1 back.

Free-agent RBs in '08 Name Team Status

Mewelde Moore Vikings UFA

Derrick Ward Giants UFA

ReShard Lee Raiders UFA

Michael Turner Chargers UFA

Maurice Hicks 49ers UFA

Jamal Lewis Browns UFA

Aveion Cason Lions UFA

Jesse Chatman Dolphins UFA

Reno Mahe Eagles UFA

Verron Haynes Steelers UFA

Josh Scobey Seahawks UFA

Chris Brown Titans UFA

Musa Smith Ravens UFA

T.J. Duckett Lions UFA

Ron Dayne Texans UFA

LaBrandon Toefield Jaguars UFA

Aaron Stecker Saints UFA

Travis Minor Rams UFA

Michael Bennett Buccaneers UFA

Samkon Gado Dolphins RFA

Vernand Morency Texans RFA

Alvin Pearman Seahawks RFA

Tyson Thompson Cowboys RFA

Shaud Williams Bills RFA

Julius Jones Cowboys V-UFA

Michael Pittman Buccaneers V-UFA

Tatum Bell Lions V-UFA

Rock Cartwright Redskins V-UFA

Marion Barber Cowboys V-RFA

V: player can void his contract and become a free agent The guy who fits that mold and is the top UFA RB on the market is the Chargers' Michael Turner. He has been in the shadow of the best RB in the NFL, LaDainian Tomlinson, over his career. Turner is a well-built back with excellent speed and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball. Turner appears to have all the physical tools to be a starting back, but there is always that unknown because he has never done it full time at the NFL level.

Marion Barber is listed as the backup in Dallas, but he is the workhorse back on that team. Barber can void his contract and become a free agent, which he will do if he and the Cowboys can't come to a long-term deal prior to the start of free agency. Barber is one of the most physical runners in the NFL. Plus, he catches the ball well out of the backfield and is one of those players who can bring a spark to an offense. His only drawback is he does not have big-time speed.

Turner and Barber are very close in terms of free-agent value. It basically just comes down to what you want for your offense, but both should flourish as starters.

The Cowboys' starter on the depth chart is Julius Jones, who is also set to become an unrestricted free agent, and all indications are that Dallas will let him test the market. It is hard to gauge the market for Jones because even though he has started every game the past two seasons, his career production is just average. However, he has split time, which does not help his numbers. The biggest drawback with Jones is that he is not a physical inside runner. Plus, although he's a scat-back type of runner, his hands are just average.

Veteran back Jamal Lewis does not have as much value as Turner and Barber, but he is coming off an excellent season, which saw him return to the Lewis of three years ago. He was healthy and back running with a physical style that made him one of the league's more feared backs. Despite playing eight seasons, Lewis is just 28 years old. His body looked well-rested last season and he appears to have some solid years left. The Browns desperately want him back and he fit their scheme well, so look for him to stay in Cleveland.

After this group, there is not a ton of excitement in terms of starters, but there are some quality role players. Saints RB Aaron Stecker turned some heads with the way he played in New Orleans once he received his opportunity. He has been a career backup but is a player with solid run skills who has always delivered when called upon. We would say he rates as a high No. 2 back right now.

Jesse Chatman was one of the few bright spots in Miami's offense last season. He was solid after replacing the injured Ronnie Brown. Chatman is a guy who was kind of unknown and has now proved his value as a definite No. 2 NFL back, with the possibility of being a No. 1 in the right system.

The Vikings' Mewelde Moore dropped down the depth chart this past season, but when healthy he has made some plays. He does not have a big market, but should be considered strongly by a team looking for depth.

The Buccaneers' Michael Pittman and Michael Bennett, the Titans' Chris Brown, the Lions'T.J. Duckett and the Texans' Ron Dayne are guys who were once considered potential No. 1 backs (and, in the case of Bennett and Brown, are former 1,000-yard rushers). That time has passed and these guys are now more considered as backup types. They are guys you like to have because of their experience, but they won't be your No. 1 guy.

Overall, this is a good group of runners. There is a nice mix of potential future stars and some veteran guys who can provide solid depth.

Fullbacks

Free-agent FBs in '08 Name Team Status

Thomas Tapeh Eagles UFA

Brad Hoover Panthers UFA

Cecil Sapp Broncos UFA

Tony Richardson Vikings UFA

Dan Kreider Steelers UFA

Bryan Fletcher Colts RFA

Justin Green Ravens RFA

Corey McIntyre Falcons RFA

Leonard Weaver Seahawks RFA

Even though former Baltimore Ravens FB Ovie Mughelli became the highest-paid FB in the NFL when he was signed by the Falcons last season, the position is really a dying breed in today's NFL. More and more teams are going to one-back or multiple-receiver sets and the role of the blocking FB has diminished. If a team does use a fullback, in most cases it is strictly in short-yardage situations, which means there is very little money or value invested into the position.

This year's class of free-agent FBs offers little to no excitement. The best blocker of the group is Pittsburgh's Dan Kreider, but he missed much of the 2007 season due to injury. Krieder is in the old mold of FB. He is a very good lead blocker, but offers very little in the way of offensive skills as a runner or receiver.

Vikings veteran Tony Richardson is more in the mold of a guy who can catch out of the backfield or run with it, but his best days have long passed.

Beyond Krieder and Richardson, the list offers little to no value. In our opinion Jones is the only FB who offers much value.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com.

Marion Barber will not be let go. The only way Barber isn't in Dallas is if Dallas moves up and grabs McFadden and I think that is a pure rumor at its finest (ie, Jerry Jones went to Arkansas therefor he'll do anything to get this stud that played there).

I am getting more and more excited about Rashard Mendenhall. He had some solid 40 times today, is strong and a great receiver out of the backfield. I think he would be a tremendous asset on the offensive side of the ball. I know it is a deep RB draft though so they could always wait and hope one of Felix Jones/Stewart and whomever else is there in the 2nd (I would be stunned if that happened though) but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the top 4 backs in this draft.

And good god, did anyone see McFadden's 40 time. Between his legit running skills and now the measurables I think he has probably guaranteed himself of going top 10 and is the #1 back in the draft with Rashard/Stewart/Jones all a bit behind.

Marion Barber will not be let go. The only way Barber isn't in Dallas is if Dallas moves up and grabs McFadden and I think that is a pure rumor at its finest (ie, Jerry Jones went to Arkansas therefor he'll do anything to get this stud that played there).

I am getting more and more excited about Rashard Mendenhall. He had some solid 40 times today, is strong and a great receiver out of the backfield. I think he would be a tremendous asset on the offensive side of the ball. I know it is a deep RB draft though so they could always wait and hope one of Felix Jones/Stewart and whomever else is there in the 2nd (I would be stunned if that happened though) but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the top 4 backs in this draft.

And good god, did anyone see McFadden's 40 time. Between his legit running skills and now the measurables I think he has probably guaranteed himself of going top 10 and is the #1 back in the draft with Rashard/Stewart/Jones all a bit behind.

I'd love Mendenhall, but considering we let Fred Miller go, and other then Flozell Adams, there are NO offensive tackles available in free agency. As of right now, John St. Clair is our starting RT, and our back-up is Terrence Metcalf (who couldn't cut it as a guard.)

If Berrian leaves, the cupboard is bare at WR. There are no good safeties who are available in free agency, and our QB group isn't exactly great.

Of our "need" positions, running-back and guard are the two that are most easily fixed via free agency. With Tait getting older, we're getting desperate at the offensive tackle position.

I'd love Mendenhall, but considering we let Fred Miller go, and other then Flozell Adams, there are NO offensive tackles available in free agency. As of right now, John St. Clair is our starting RT, and our back-up is Terrence Metcalf (who couldn't cut it as a guard.)

If Berrian leaves, the cupboard is bare at WR. There are no good safeties who are available in free agency, and our QB group isn't exactly great.

Of our "need" positions, running-back and guard are the two that are most easily fixed via free agency. With Tait getting older, we're getting desperate at the offensive tackle position.

Eugene Wilson, Atari Bigby, Gibril Wilson, Yeremiah Bell, and Hamza Abdullah. I'd call 2 of those good, and 3 are solid.

Eugene Wilson, Atari Bigby, Gibril Wilson, Yeremiah Bell, and Hamza Abdullah. I'd call 2 of those good, and 3 are solid.

I should have clarified: There are no safeties in free agency who are an upgrade over the guys we have. Mike Brown is a pro-bowler when healthy, and Danieal Manning easily falls into the "solid" category. The thing is, the cover 2 we run puts so much emphasis on safety play, that they need to be top tier.

None of the guys you mentioned are an upgrade.

Are you sure Atari Bigby is a free agent?

I should have clarified: There are no safeties in free agency who are an upgrade over the guys we have. Mike Brown is a pro-bowler when healthy, and Danieal Manning easily falls into the "solid" category. The thing is, the cover 2 we run puts so much emphasis on safety play, that they need to be top tier.

None of the guys you mentioned are an upgrade.

Are you sure Atari Bigby is a free agent?

:blink:

Bigby is a free agent? I would love to get that guy. I noticed him during the playoffs and he was laying people out.

Yeah, Bigby played pretty well during the playoffs and can lay the wood, but he can't cover anyone. He is a penalty waiting to happen.