Who wants Flozell Adams?

bradjock

There's a ton of love for Faneca but I've heard little about Flozell Adams. The guy is a pro-bowl LT. The fact that he turns 33 in May is a major problem, but you hope to get 3 years out of a guy like that. Let Tait move back to the RT position,

I'll be honest, I haven't been a big fan of signing a guy, especially since he'll cost an arm and a leg. But I was sitting here trying to think what we could do that would allow us to draft Mendenhall. There are damn few tackles available in FA, and Adams is the only one who is any good.

IMO, if we don't sign Adams (assuming no other good tackle becomes available, and they usually don't) we pretty much HAVE to draft an offensive tackle with our #14 pick. We'll be able to sign a free agent guard, but there's no other tackles. If we have to start the season with Terrance Metcalf as our back up Tackle I might have to start sending bomb threats to Halas Hall.

Adams is going to be expensive, is older than Faneca, and there have been many questions about his motivation. Adams was a hot topic here in Dallas every year. He was one of those players coaches constantly said could be as good as he wanted to be. It wasn't until a contract year he showed the sort of desire and motivation the coaches begged of him, which makes me really question going after him.

I know you want Mendenhall, but I think this is a pretty solid/deep class of RBs, and feel we can get a better RB after the 1st than other positions of high need.

I still dream of the scenario where Clady slips some in the draft, and we use our extra 3rd to leap frog Denver to get him. After signing Faneca, I think we would have an awesome left side, and after moving Tait to the right, an all around great OL. In the 2nd, or even maybe the 3rd, we can still add a very good RB to compete w/ Benson, who behind a much improved OL, might look like the player we hoped he would be when we drafted him.

So what if we sign Faneca, Stallworth (cheaper verson of Berrian) and Booker, while drafting Clady and a RB, like maybe Charles (another Texas product, but one w/ speed). W/ those additions, Rex might even look like a good passer.

I'd rather have the LT who can anchor that position for the next 7-10 years instead of a stopgap that leaves us in the same spot in a year or two. You don't get many chances to do that so when opportunity is knocking it's best to answer the door. Decent OG are easier to find than LT so fill that in later rounds or with one of the FAs available.

I still would prefer Faneca for the following reasons:

1) He's younger

2) Better work ethic and motor as proven year in and year out.

3) Nasty demeanor

4) Locker room leader

5) Most importantly, too many LT prospects not to get one. This is a position that you can strike gold in. If not, you have Tait and Faneca anchoring the left side and your rookie on the right. Otherwise, we'll be in a continous cycle of overpaying for short term usage.

Why I don't want to draft a RB early. Let me start by saying, I would love Mendenhall. That being said, I still think Benson can be productive and would not want to spend an early pick and the loot. What I think would motivate Benson more is a FA or late rounder pushing him for time. That would motivate me as a thoroughbred. He seemed motivated in 06 when he wanted the starting job from TJ. Anyway, let's see if the OL fixes Bensons problem and cut bait next year if needed.

Now we have an extra pick for a WR, QB or Safety early.

What I think would motivate Benson more is a FA or late rounder pushing him for time. That would motivate me as a thoroughbred. He seemed motivated in 06 when he wanted the starting job from TJ. Anyway, let's see if the OL fixes Bensons problem and cut bait next year if needed.

I agree that a FA could push Benson, but I don't see a draft pick doing it, unless it's our no. 1, and that ain't gonna happen. Benson's got his head up his arse so far that he belives he's the second coming of Jim Brown. No draft pick taken much lower than he was is going to have any effect on him. He feels that he's got Chicago all sewn up and he's not the least bit fearful of losing his job.

Great analysis on Benson, Chile.

I think you're spot on. This guy lives in a non-reality (probably a similar Shangri-La as Ricky Williams...). But he seems to have the Bears by the short and curlies. Until I see it, I think he'll be given the #1 spot yet again... This coaching staff like talking big about competition, yet rarely does it.

I agree that a FA could push Benson, but I don't see a draft pick doing it, unless it's our no. 1, and that ain't gonna happen. Benson's got his head up his arse so far that he belives he's the second coming of Jim Brown. No draft pick taken much lower than he was is going to have any effect on him. He feels that he's got Chicago all sewn up and he's not the least bit fearful of losing his job.

Fortunately for us it's not up to Benson who the starting running back is. He didn't seem particularly motivated by having Thomas Jones take his reps, so I don't know why a draft pick or free agent would have any effect on his performance. That's the problem with him, and the reason I think he should be cut--he is not motivated. And now he's a step slower coming off this injury.

I say cut him and eat the relatively small ($1.7mil) cap hit, and invest heavily in your next RB, whether high in the draft or in dollars through free agency. If you want to get off the bus running you can't have a substandard RB corps. They've blown two high draft picks recently on running backs, but they shouldn't compund those mistakes by sticking with them too long.

There is no doubt they need to overhaul the line too, but I think a new RB should be a priority. Problem is this team has a lot of should-be priorities, and the GM seems to think he can take a passive role in free agency.

I agree. I'm all for cutting the bum. However, maybe we could trade him for a 6th or 7th... At least we get something. Send him to Denver, the land of misfit RB's...

Fortunately for us it's not up to Benson who the starting running back is. He didn't seem particularly motivated by having Thomas Jones take his reps, so I don't know why a draft pick or free agent would have any effect on his performance. That's the problem with him, and the reason I think he should be cut--he is not motivated. And now he's a step slower coming off this injury.

I say cut him and eat the relatively small ($1.7mil) cap hit, and invest heavily in your next RB, whether high in the draft or in dollars through free agency. If you want to get off the bus running you can't have a substandard RB corps. They've blown two high draft picks recently on running backs, but they shouldn't compund those mistakes by sticking with them too long.

There is no doubt they need to overhaul the line too, but I think a new RB should be a priority. Problem is this team has a lot of should-be priorities, and the GM seems to think he can take a passive role in free agency.

I have to disagree with a few of you here regarding Benson’s motivation. This is strictly my opinion, but…

One – Benson was motivated when TJ was here. He just happened to get hurt at some bad times. If you remember that last camp he and TJ were in, he was knockin’ heads.

Second – Benson is an egomaniac, and a fragile minded one at that, obviously thinking higher of himself than he should. If a free agent or lower round back starts taking his cheese, he’s more apt to rise to the occasion.

Lastly – Benson is a pussy of a man. He has shown us this by his inability to play through injuries and constant pouting. If we bring in a Mendenhall via the draft, what is he going to do? I think he’s going to raise a stink by holding out, demanding a trade, or faking an injury. Anything but compete for his job out of fear of losing it. All do the Bears no good.

Now we have to pray Mendenhall is the real deal, because Benson has already checked out. Plus we are paying two 1st round picks at a position with no production. All the while, greater needs have not been addressed. Right now, Benson is less of a question mark than our OL and WR’s. Because we know they suck bad enough make Benson suck.

The only way I can endorse drafting Mendenhall is if the staff has evaluated the season and deemed the OL was not to blame for the crappy running game. (Which is highly unlikely) Then you draft Mendenhall and let CB cry.

IMO- JA is going to have to sign at least 3 FA’s and strike gold with at least 2 of them. Add to that, he needs to hit on over half of this draft, hopefully with a couple of them starting this year. This is Benson’s year to decide if he wants a career in football.