Bears to trade Griese

GakMan23

Bears | Team will try and trade Griese

Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:29:41 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears will try and trade QB Brian Griese before a $300,000 roster bonus is due to him Tuesday, March 4. If they cannot trade him before that time, he will be released.

Bears | Team will try and trade Griese

Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:29:41 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears will try and trade QB Brian Griese before a $300,000 roster bonus is due to him Tuesday, March 4. If they cannot trade him before that time, he will be released.

That would be awesome to get some value out of him a 5th or a 6th would be a dream.

Awful market for QBs in FA. Even a bad QB could look good to another team, or teams. If Griese is on the market, he would likely attrack interest for a few teams, and thus there are no guarantees you will get him.

Also, I think money comes into play. If you trade for a player, you are not on the hook for the signing bonus. If Griese is a FA, you may have to pay him a couple million in SB. Heck, we just gave Orton what, $1.5m. A team may give up a 5th or 6th, but also would get Griese w/o having to give him a SB.

He's a great 3rd QB, relatively cheap and with enough experience that he doesn't need reps in practice. Look at the AZ Cardinals whose 3rd QB is Anquan Boldin and tell me that a guy like Griese isn't a better option. More likely if a team is in a spot where they'll be spending a 5/6/7 rd pick on a QB to fill that 3rd spot trading that pick for Griese might make more sense. Especially if you don't have much confidence in your #2 QB.

What makes no sense is if you are going to attempt to trade someone, why announce that you will release him anyway? You lose any leverage you might have.

In 2005 Seattle gave us a 6th round pick for Mike Green. He'd been benched in favor of Brandon McGowan and damn near everyone else. Most GM's view those late round picks as "garbage" picks and don't mind giving them away. Especially since Griese's contract is extremely reasonable.

Considering Griese is a helluva a lot better then Tavaris Jackson, if I'm a team like Minnesota or any team struggling for a QB, I'd be happy as hell to give up a #6 pick for him.