Demorrio Williams to visit

GakMan23

WILLIAMS LINES UP VISITS

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that Falcons free-agent linebacker Demorrio Williams has already lined up visits with the Chiefs, Bucs, and Bears.

Williams plays on the weak side. In Chicago, he could be the replacement for Lance Briggs.

WILLIAMS LINES UP VISITS

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that Falcons free-agent linebacker Demorrio Williams has already lined up visits with the Chiefs, Bucs, and Bears.

Williams plays on the weak side. In Chicago, he could be the replacement for Lance Briggs.

Hmmm??? No Faith in Jamar???

Or Okwo for that matter?

Seriously, we spend 2 picks getting ready to replace Briggs and we're not going to play either one of them? That's a recipe for NFL franchise futility.

If Williams is an upgrade over Jamar or Okwo, put them on STs. Remember, Hilly is no youngster and who knows how Url is health-wise.

If Williams is an upgrade over Jamar or Okwo, put them on STs. Remember, Hilly is no youngster and who knows how Url is health-wise.

ST's? No idea what you're saying there.

Here's my problem. The Bears have spent a 4th and a 3rd round pick grabing those 2 young LB's. If they're going and not only spending draft picks on those guys, but are also spending cap space to bring in other guys to fill those same positions, then the Bears are retty much flailing trying to fill that hole. If they can't count on the guys they drafted, then they might as well just sell off and rebuild entirely, because you can't win in this league if you can't draft well.

ST's? No idea what you're saying there.

Here's my problem. The Bears have spent a 4th and a 3rd round pick grabing those 2 young LB's. If they're going and not only spending draft picks on those guys, but are also spending cap space to bring in other guys to fill those same positions, then the Bears are retty much flailing trying to fill that hole. If they can't count on the guys they drafted, then they might as well just sell off and rebuild entirely, because you can't win in this league if you can't draft well.

He means Special Teams.

I would argue that if you simply show blind faith in draft picks, then you are rebuilding.

Okwo went down early last year, so while he was a 3rd round pick, he is not a player we can expect to simply step in and replace a pro bowl LB. As for Williams, he has been here two years. It is possible the staff likes him, but does not believe he is ready to take over.

Seriously, we are talking about a 3rd and 4rd rounders here. We are also talking about replacing a pro bowl LB, and doing so in a year we have a ton of cap space. If we did not even consider FAs to replace Briggs, then I would argue that a sign we are rebuilding.

By your logic, we should not look at OGs in FA. I mean, we just drafted Beekman in the 4th, so we should simply rely on him, right?

We drafted Bradley and Hass, not to mention Hester. No reason to look at FA WRs.

We drafted Wolfe last year, and Benson and AP prior to that. No need to look at RBs.

Its a nice thought that a team can ignore FA and just rely on draft picks, but also unrealistic. There is not a team in the league that can get away w/ this. Every team uses FAs, and I would argue that every team signs FAs after having also drafted player(s) at that position.

I would argue that if you simply show blind faith in draft picks, then you are rebuilding.

Okwo went down early last year, so while he was a 3rd round pick, he is not a player we can expect to simply step in and replace a pro bowl LB. As for Williams, he has been here two years. It is possible the staff likes him, but does not believe he is ready to take over.

Seriously, we are talking about a 3rd and 4rd rounders here. We are also talking about replacing a pro bowl LB, and doing so in a year we have a ton of cap space. If we did not even consider FAs to replace Briggs, then I would argue that a sign we are rebuilding.

By your logic, we should not look at OGs in FA. I mean, we just drafted Beekman in the 4th, so we should simply rely on him, right?

We drafted Bradley and Hass, not to mention Hester. No reason to look at FA WRs.

We drafted Wolfe last year, and Benson and AP prior to that. No need to look at RBs.

Its a nice thought that a team can ignore FA and just rely on draft picks, but also unrealistic. There is not a team in the league that can get away w/ this. Every team uses FAs, and I would argue that every team signs FAs after having also drafted player(s) at that position.

Just a small correction- we picked Hass up off waivers. We didn't draft him.

But yeah, I still get your point.

Balta, you're right that giving up on Williams and Okwo would show that a big mistake was made -- twice, even -- but if the coaches are confident about that, what's the point in putting them out there? If it's recognized as a mistake, it's better to cut your losses than to stick it out because of a bad past decision.

That said, I can't imagine they're giving up on Okwo, at least. Sure, he went on IR, but the Bears love putting young defensive players on IR when they scratch a finger. What could they have seen to be so sure he isn't a good lb?

Regardless of having JWilliams and Okwo, if Briggs is gone who do we have as backups? Assume Jamaar Williams starts, that leaves us with Okwo as the lone decent (but unknown) backup LB. If we sign Demorrio Williams to a modest contract and let him compete with Jamaar Williams for the starting role on the weak side I have no problem with that. Nor should Jamaar as he has the inside edge knowing the defense for 2 years. At least you know Williams is your starting WLB heading into training camp.

Regardless of having JWilliams and Okwo, if Briggs is gone who do we have as backups? Assume Jamaar Williams starts, that leaves us with Okwo as the lone decent (but unknown) backup LB. If we sign Demorrio Williams to a modest contract and let him compete with Jamaar Williams for the starting role on the weak side I have no problem with that. Nor should Jamaar as he has the inside edge knowing the defense for 2 years. At least you know Williams is your starting WLB heading into training camp.

That is what I view this as too. Depth and competition. We have been screaming for competition at QB, and when the Bears look to bring in someone for competition at another position we say we suck at drafting? Come on...Demario Williams is no pro bowler, and I can see Jamar beating him out after having been in the system for a 2 years. FA isn't just about starters, it is about creating depth too.

If we lose Briggs AND Ayanbadejo, I can see Williams brought in on the cheap to compete at WILL, add depth, and play special teams.

It seems inevitable that we're going to lose Ayanbadejo. He's expressed interest in at least being given the chance to compete for a starting job and the Bears want no part in that. Last season we let 3 of our top ST's players go: Todd Johnson, Cameron Worrell, and Dante Wesly. Our ST's didn't suffer much. My guess is we'll look at Jamar Williams or Michael Okwo to be that special teams ace who replaces Ayanbadejo.