Griese to Tampa

kledanhoj

Wish we would have been able to secure a higher pick however, knowing Griese is at the end of his journeyman career we at least get something for nothing.

I am amazed we got a trade done, period. It was obvious to everyone in the league we were going to cut him before the 300K bonus came into effect soon. We need to open up a spot for a QB in the draft to develop behind Rex & Kyle. Hopefully it turns out to be higher than a 6th or 7th but if not, well, something is definitely better than nothing.

I am amazed we got a trade done, period. It was obvious to everyone in the league we were going to cut him before the 300K bonus came into effect soon. We need to open up a spot for a QB in the draft to develop behind Rex & Kyle. Hopefully it turns out to be higher than a 6th or 7th but if not, well, something is definitely better than nothing.

Yeah, I can't believe anyone traded for him. Like you said, everyone had to know we were going to cut him. According to the Sun Times his contract is:

His contract calls for a base salary of $1.4 million in 2008, $1.8 million in 2009 and $2.2 million in 2010

I guess getting a veteran backup for $1.4 next year isn't a bad deal. If you waited for him to get cut, you'd probably have to give him more than that with a signing bonus.

well folks according to ChicagoBears.com it is an undisclosed 2009 draft pick, so were gonna have to wait another year to see what we get in return...

still better than nothing....

Yeah, I was just about to post that. Interestingly enough, that same article says the Bears plan to move forward w/o Ayanbedejo.

I wouldn't say Gilmore is TRASH. He isn't a star, but he is a good blocker on ST and at TE, and he could catch fairly well when given the chance.

Griese, on the other hand, was trash :lol:

Agreed Hester. If it was 3rd & short, Gilmore was damn near always in the game since he's the best run-blocker. He was also our back-up FB and he caught a couple touchdown passes in 2006.

I'd have liked to have him back, but his role would be diminished while Olsen's role will be increased.

Who is this Josh Johnson I keep hearing?

From Fantasy Insider Online:

Scouting Report: Josh Johnson (San Diego 1-AA)

Written by Adam Allen

Posted on 1/22/2008

Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego (1-AA) (Senior)

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 200 lbs

Bench: DNP

40 Time: 4.44

Vertical: 33.5

GRADE:

POSITIVES

• Unbelievable stats (113 TD’s with only 15 INT’s in his career)

• Ridiculous senior season (138.7 Passer Rating / 43 TDs / 1 INT)

• Special playmaker as a runner

• Excellent pocket presence

• Great record (only lost 4 games over the last three seasons)

• Strong arm, but has great touch and accuracy when needed

• Tall, long and very athletic

• Coached by Jim Harbaugh for three years (ex-NFLer and current Stanford HC)

• Looked good in the Shrine Game versus 1-A prospects

NEGATIVES

• How would he have fared against 1-A opponents?

• Needs to add a little weight for the next level

ANALYSIS

Everyone has their sleepers – here’s mine Johnson’s passer rating, winning pedigree and career completion percentage can tell you a lot about his skills. Yet, he is even more spectacular as a runner. Granted, coming from a 1-AA school, Johnson will not be in the same class as the big guns, but someone will notice his skills and take a shot on him in the 2nd or 3rd Round. This kid could be special.

Be sure to check out all the Scouting Report Player Profiles in FIO’s 2008 NFL Draft: Top 100

If Griese makes the Bucs roster next year, we'll get a 7th rounder... however, I have a hard time seeing Griese make their roster. I am willing to put money on it that they draft a QB first day, whether it be Brennan, Johnson, or Booty. Griese will probably have to compete with Chris Simms (if he can still actually play football) and Luke McCown for the backup role to Garcia.

Actually, Griese has a good shot at being the backup because he is familiar with Gruden's offense, and is better then both Simms and McCown and more experienced.

The Trib (got it off Rotoworld) is reporting it's a 6th round pick in '09. I assume it's a conditional pick but like stated previously by folks, anything is good for a guy we were cutting today.

EDIT: Forgot the link

by trading for him they get him without having to battle for him in free agency plus they get his relatively small contract (for a veteran QB) with no signing bonus...unless Griese demands to renegotiate it.