Favre retires

aalonsoj

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7870944?MSNHPHMA

Favre has decided to call it a career

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G GS Comp Att Yds TD Int

257 253 5,377 8,758 61,655 442 288

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

He led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game after passing for a stunning 4,155 yards, looking very much at times like a younger version of himself. In addition he threw 28 TDs — including an overtime Hail Mary pass to beat Denver in front of a national audience — and had a 95.7 quarterback rating. He was also voted into the Pro Bowl following the 2007 season but declined to go.

Favre leaves the game as the all-time record holder in several categories including wins, passing yards, touchdowns and consecutive games started. A three-time MVP, The southern swashbuckler won fans over with his carefree style that epitomized the "gunslinger" moniker and made fans out of everyone from the guy next door to those already enshrined in Canton.

If in fact, Favre does not have a change of heart, his final pass of a Hall of Fame Career was an interception by the Giants' Corey Webster, setting up New York's overtime win in the NFC title game.

For the last few years, the question of whether or not Favre was going to retire has been the most debated topic during the off-season. Two years ago he let his decision linger as reports both that he was returning and that he was retiring emerged. In fact, at one point he was supposedly going to announce his retirement at his charity golf tournament. Of course, those reports ultimately proved to be false.

Then after his final game of the 2006 season, a tearing and emotional Favre appeared on national TV and seemed to be bidding the game adieu. But once again, he had a change of heart and came back for what proved to be one heck of a final hurrah.

This time, Favre has made his decision and will likely make it publicly known soon. However, like in the past, Favre could wake up any day now and decide to change his mind, although that doesn't seem likely at this point.

The team will now shift to Aaron Rodgers, a former first-round pick, who has had few opportunities to play since being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft. But when Favre was injured in a Thursday night game against Dallas this past season, Rodgers looked pretty good in relief. The former Cal star completed 18 of 26 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown — the first of his career — and nearly rallied the Packers to the win.

Should have retired two years ago?

4155 yards. 66.5% completion. 28/15 TD/Int ratio. 95.7 QB rating. The season he is coming off is one Bear fans can only dream about.

And did you happen to see Aaron Rogers against Dallas? Right now, I think I would take Rogers over either of our two QBs.

Should have retired two years ago?

4155 yards. 66.5% completion. 28/15 TD/Int ratio. 95.7 QB rating. The season he is coming off is one Bear fans can only dream about.

And did you happen to see Aaron Rogers against Dallas? Right now, I think I would take Rogers over either of our two QBs.

Rogers did play well against Dallas, but in his limited action, it's the only time he's looked decent. He's always looked terrible in training camp and in preseason. He also has been hurt way too much for someone with his limited exposure.

He may end up being a very good QB, but I don't think we can project that based on one good game.

We have seen Rex, and I would say few still believe he will ever be a great QB. Most Orton has his supporters, there really aren't "that" many.

Rogers may be nothing. At the same time, he at least offers that "unknown" element Rex does not. At least w/ Rogers, there is hope. It may be false hope, but hope that has yet to be tested and destroyed.

I would also point out that he has a pretty damn solid offense to work in. GB's OL may not be Minny's equal, but is solid. Grant didn't get his first start until week 8, and racked up nearly 1,000 yards from there. He was the best RB in the league in the 2nd half of the season. Driver, Jennings and Jones form a trio of WRs, w/ any one better than ours.

I am not trying to love on the fudge packers, or hate on the bears, but the reality is Rogers has a shit load more to work w/ than Rex/Orton, and while he may be crap, he at least offers that unknown element which is better than our known element.

I would take potential crap over known crap anyday.

We have seen Rex, and I would say few still believe he will ever be a great QB. Most Orton has his supporters, there really aren't "that" many.

Rogers may be nothing. At the same time, he at least offers that "unknown" element Rex does not. At least w/ Rogers, there is hope. It may be false hope, but hope that has yet to be tested and destroyed.

I would also point out that he has a pretty damn solid offense to work in. GB's OL may not be Minny's equal, but is solid. Grant didn't get his first start until week 8, and racked up nearly 1,000 yards from there. He was the best RB in the league in the 2nd half of the season. Driver, Jennings and Jones form a trio of WRs, w/ any one better than ours.

I am not trying to love on the fudge packers, or hate on the bears, but the reality is Rogers has a shit load more to work w/ than Rex/Orton, and while he may be crap, he at least offers that unknown element which is better than our known element.

I would take potential crap over known crap anyday.

Good point. I guess if you know what you have and it isn't good, not knowing what you have is better! At least then there is some hope!

And thus, you have the bears backup QB.

Seemingly, every year Bear fans at some point begin chanting for the backup QB, whoever it may be. It isn't because he is any good, but because whoever is on the field sucks.

There is always hope the backup is better than the starter. Of coarse, then the backup comes in and plays like shit, and you then move on to QB #3.

"Ding dong the witch is dead!" :cheers

Pardon me for a moment while I do a happy dance... :D

That guys been a thorn in our side for 15 years +, and we're had about 45 QB during that span! I'm glas the era is over!

He's been a great competitor and a sure fire hall of famer...but, I for one, am glad he's hanging it up! Kudos Mr, Favre...see you in Canton.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7870944?MSNHPHMA

Favre has decided to call it a career

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G GS Comp Att Yds TD Int

257 253 5,377 8,758 61,655 442 288

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

He led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game after passing for a stunning 4,155 yards, looking very much at times like a younger version of himself. In addition he threw 28 TDs — including an overtime Hail Mary pass to beat Denver in front of a national audience — and had a 95.7 quarterback rating. He was also voted into the Pro Bowl following the 2007 season but declined to go.

Favre leaves the game as the all-time record holder in several categories including wins, passing yards, touchdowns and consecutive games started. A three-time MVP, The southern swashbuckler won fans over with his carefree style that epitomized the "gunslinger" moniker and made fans out of everyone from the guy next door to those already enshrined in Canton.

If in fact, Favre does not have a change of heart, his final pass of a Hall of Fame Career was an interception by the Giants' Corey Webster, setting up New York's overtime win in the NFC title game.

For the last few years, the question of whether or not Favre was going to retire has been the most debated topic during the off-season. Two years ago he let his decision linger as reports both that he was returning and that he was retiring emerged. In fact, at one point he was supposedly going to announce his retirement at his charity golf tournament. Of course, those reports ultimately proved to be false.

Then after his final game of the 2006 season, a tearing and emotional Favre appeared on national TV and seemed to be bidding the game adieu. But once again, he had a change of heart and came back for what proved to be one heck of a final hurrah.

This time, Favre has made his decision and will likely make it publicly known soon. However, like in the past, Favre could wake up any day now and decide to change his mind, although that doesn't seem likely at this point.

The team will now shift to Aaron Rodgers, a former first-round pick, who has had few opportunities to play since being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft. But when Favre was injured in a Thursday night game against Dallas this past season, Rodgers looked pretty good in relief. The former Cal star completed 18 of 26 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown — the first of his career — and nearly rallied the Packers to the win.

One of the things I will not miss is that stat that shows how many starting QB's the Packers have the last 16 years and the Bears 9999+ starting QB's in that time span. They show what on TV at every Bears Packers games.

Now GB can start their own streak.

I may hate the team he played for. But, i have all the respect in the world for the man.

Good luck in the future, Brett!! I'll miss watching ya play. Of course the Bears won't. :lol:

I may hate the team he played for. But, i have all the respect in the world for the man.

Good luck in the future, Brett!! I'll miss watching ya play. Of course the Bears won't. :lol:

Actually, since Lovie took over, we own him, so Packer fans might be saying "I'll miss watching ya play, expect for when we play the Bears" :lol: