I Love a Good Conspiracy...

Mongo3451

In a teleconference Friday afternoon after he signed a one-year contract with the Bears, Lloyd was asked how the quarterback situation was explained to him.

``Rex Grossman is the starter. Coach Ron Turner and coach Lovie [smith] think very highly of him, and Kyle Orton, they think very highly of him also. I think that as a receiver, it’s really our jobs to make those guys look good and it’s their job to make us look good too. It’s just going to be a hand-in-hand relationship maybe I could say for all of us to get better because I think that’s really what it comes down to. We are really at a pivotal point in our careers where we really need to lean on each other and help each other out to really become what we want to become in this league.”

Oops. So much for the Great QB Battle of 2008. And we thought Grossman and Orton received nearly identical contract extensions last month with identical bonus money for a reason.

The follow-up question was who told Lloyd, who played for Turner at Illinois and met with coaches in Halas Hall before the call on Friday, that Grossman was the man?

``I mean, that’s what I’m assuming. Rex Grossman.

``Orton and Grossman signed one-year deals, I figured maybe Grossman was the starter. Open competition is what I’m being told right now.”

Talk about a mixup at the line of scrimmage. After one more question, Turner got on the phone and worked as fast as he could to straighten out the matter.

``I just listened to part of that and Brandon said that he assumed it was going to be Rex. I just want to clarify that before we got going. You guys know the situation. It’s an open competition. Both guys have been told that. When I talked to Brandon about the quarterback situation, I talked about both guys, about Rex Grossman and Kyle. I feel we’ve got two guys that can get the ball to all of our receivers. So again I just want to start with that and we’ll go from there.”

Conspiracy theorists, you have been armed.

Is this a slip up? I can see a FA asking, "who's throwin' the rock?" Hmmm...

Guest TerraTor
I think you missed the point Terra. It's not Rex V Kyle. It's the staff blindly handing the job to Rex again. Funny, yet true quote though!

Haha. No No i got it, It blows my mind. How bad must a guy be to just get cut and told never to come back

I think you missed the point Terra. It's not Rex V Kyle. It's the staff blindly handing the job to Rex again. Funny, yet true quote though!

Even if they have basically given the job to Rex, I don't think it will be the same as in previous years. They will have to keep up the appearance of a competition because of everything they've said. Orton would be super pissed if he wasn't given the chance to compete. As long as the coaches don't tell Rex the job is his (even if theyh think it), then I think it is irrelevant. He'll still have to step it up because he thinks he's in a competition.

Does anyone really think Orton can beat Rex out in a training camp competition anyway? We've all seen Rex at training camp when there is no pressure on him. He perfroms incredibly. The only chance Orton has is to perform well in training camp and hope he way out plays Rex in preseason games.

Even if they have basically given the job to Rex, I don't think it will be the same as in previous years. They will have to keep up the appearance of a competition because of everything they've said. Orton would be super pissed if he wasn't given the chance to compete. As long as the coaches don't tell Rex the job is his (even if theyh think it), then I think it is irrelevant. He'll still have to step it up because he thinks he's in a competition.

Orton shouldn't be super pissed. We unloaded Griese to clear room for him to be our #2 QB and compete for the #1 spot. But I hope like hell he does step up and beat Rex out. Although I'm not certain exactly what else Orton can do to quicken his release and have more consistent accuracy.

Does anyone really think Orton can beat Rex out in a training camp competition anyway? We've all seen Rex at training camp when there is no pressure on him. He perfroms incredibly. The only chance Orton has is to perform well in training camp and hope he way out plays Rex in preseason games.

No. Hell no. The problem is Rex is a MUCH better passer then Kyle Orton. Much quicker release, much better accuracy. The thing is, he's terrible at "sensing the sack" and when he does he often throws it too the other team, unlike Orton, who throws it out of bounds. That and his passes get batted down 5 times a game.

In training camp they'll be playing two hand touch with Rex, so it's not a real measure of what he's capable of. Then he'll play maybe 5 full quarters of pre-season football, which isn't nearly enough time.

So Rex gives us the best chance to win, with his throws, and the best chance to lose, with everything else. I hope like hell we give the job to Orton. I'm tired of developing ulcers with Rex at the wheel.

If I was Lloyd I would be hoping Rex was my guy. Lloyd is a sideline WR. He isn't known as a guy who takes the beating over the middle making catches. Rex is the guy with the ARM capable of making the throws which will allow Lloyd to flourish (ie sideline outs/deep balls, etc).

Orton on the other hand is the type of QB who needs to use the middle of the field a lot to succeed. Either way I'm perfectly comfortable with the QB position. I'd like the Bears to make an all out push at Larry FItzgerald if he hits the market (because I think a true #1 like that can help any QB and make every other WR on the field better).

Aside from that, strengthen the oline/WR core/RB (my 2 biggest desires are a FA guard and a 1st or 2nd rd tackle that suceeds and one of Stewart/Jones/Mendenhall).

It sounds like exactly what, me and a number of other have been thinking...

It's a competition for the wolrd to think, and in reality it's Rex yet again. Oh joy.

You have to remember that all reports from people close to the Bears indicate that if anyone was the favorite it was Kyle Orton. That said, I'm guessing the outside people still consider Rex the guy given that he has won/earned the job (well if people consider it that, cause his draft status obviously helped him with that) whenever he's been healthy in the past.