Eagles make offer for Fitzgerald

ostrogoth

The Larry Fitzgerald-to-the- Eagles trade scenario takes on new intrigue daily, with a report surfacing Friday that the Eagles have submitted a trade offer to Arizona to obtain the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

The Cardinals and Fitzgerald have hit an impasse in contract renegotiations, according to The Arizona Republic, which also reported that the Eagles have offered cornerback Lito Sheppard and wide receiver Reggie Brown as trade bait with hopes of forcing the Cardinals to deal away the wideout if they can't reach an agreement to restructure his contract.

A league source confirmed to The News Journal that the Eagles have proposed a trade to Arizona, but the source couldn't elaborate on the details of the proposal.

The Cardinals still hold out hope of reaching a new deal with Fitzgerald or having him play out the rest of his contract, according to The Arizona Republic report.

Fitzgerald, 24, is scheduled to make $14.6 million in 2008 and $17.4 million in 2009, the final year of his contract. Cardinals general manager Rod Graves has adamantly stated that Fitzgerald will remain with the Cardinals.

Contact Geoff Mosher at gemosher@delawareonline.com.

Fitzgerald, 24, is scheduled to make $14.6 million in 2008 and $17.4 million in 2009, the final year of his contract. Cardinals general manager Rod Graves has adamantly stated that Fitzgerald will remain with the Cardinals.

My Lord, you mean this guys is due to make 32 million dollars over the next 2 years and he is wanting to redo his contract? I am sorry, but this is getting totally insane!

I think the Cardinals want him to redo his contract, not the other way around.

When I read:

The Cardinals still hold out hope of reaching a new deal with Fitzgerald or having him play out the rest of his contract, according to The Arizona Republic report.

It sounds to me Fitz is wanting the new deal, it says the Cards would be willing to have him play out his contract, that does not sound to me that it was the Cards asking for a redo of the contract.

My understanding of the situation is that the Cards want to renegotiate the deal because of the cap rammifications (ie, Fitzgerald counting 32 million against there cap in the next 2 years). Fitzgerald is not too interested in renegotiating though, unless he gets a pretty hefty salary (since there really is no reason to give up that type of money).

I know if I were the Bears, I would go absolutely all out for Fitzgerald. I just don't think we have the resources to acquire him, but financially the team could afford him.