Shaun Alexander

windbar

hey guys...long time no post. It looks like Shaun Alexander will be released by the Seahawks (Julius Jones and TJ Duckett signed to decent sized contracts), or traded for a low round pick. While Im not a huge fan, I think he has a little left in the tank and even thought hes older, has much more to offer than the backs we have now. Id much rather pick up a FA RB than take one in the draft; we need O lineman bad or nothing else matters and well be in the same position we were last year. RB's tend t be a dime a dozen nowadays and even a decent one will succeed given there are holes to run through (earnest Graham, Willie Parker, Ron Dayne, etc).

I like the way Angelo is approaching FA; there are going to be a bunch of good/great veterans released soon, that wont break the bank and will still substantially improve our squad.

Im also not a fan of Chad Johnson coming here; hell be a major headache if hes not having the ball thrown to him 15+ times a game. With our passing attack, hes bound to lose it. I love the idea of Fitzgerald being traded for, but wed have to mortgage everything to get him and hes not worth it. What about trading for Anquan Boldin though? With all the money being tied up in Fitz, they may have no other choice than to trade him. Hes the perfect WR for us and Id love to have his physicality at our skill positions.

I am not sure that Shaun would really resolve anything for us at RB at this point in his career. If he still had something left in the tank, I do not think Seattle would have made the moves that they are making this off season.

I agree with Ocho Cinco needing to have the ball thrown his way far too many times in order to be happy. As much as I like him, he would wind up being a headache for our team. Not sure Arizona would be willing to part with either Fitzgerald nor Boldin and if Boldin is expendable due to finances and we are able to get him, that would improve the WRs instantly however, the O Line as we all have been saying still is a mess and until JA does something there, that should be the main focus at this point.

hey guys...long time no post. It looks like Shaun Alexander will be released by the Seahawks (Julius Jones and TJ Duckett signed to decent sized contracts), or traded for a low round pick. While Im not a huge fan, I think he has a little left in the tank and even thought hes older, has much more to offer than the backs we have now. Id much rather pick up a FA RB than take one in the draft; we need O lineman bad or nothing else matters and well be in the same position we were last year. RB's tend t be a dime a dozen nowadays and even a decent one will succeed given there are holes to run through (earnest Graham, Willie Parker, Ron Dayne, etc).

I like the way Angelo is approaching FA; there are going to be a bunch of good/great veterans released soon, that wont break the bank and will still substantially improve our squad.

Im also not a fan of Chad Johnson coming here; hell be a major headache if hes not having the ball thrown to him 15+ times a game. With our passing attack, hes bound to lose it. I love the idea of Fitzgerald being traded for, but wed have to mortgage everything to get him and hes not worth it. What about trading for Anquan Boldin though? With all the money being tied up in Fitz, they may have no other choice than to trade him. Hes the perfect WR for us and Id love to have his physicality at our skill positions.

On one hand, I think Alexander could be pretty effective after he has the off-season to get healthy and if you were able to get him to agree to playing with limited carries. Ie, give him the ball about 15 times a game and have another back, who compliments him well, get the ball about 12-15 times a game.

I also think having Alexander around could give Benson a serious kick in the butt. The only true issue is that I don't think the style of Alexander/Benson is all too different which would mean he wouldn't be the type of back that would compliment Cedric.

I think a good fit if the Bears didn't want to go RB in the draft would be Justin Fargas. He has shown this past season that he is a pretty effective player. He's also got a lot of quickness and would be the perfect combo back. For all I know the Raiders have already resigned him. Of course I find it hard to pass up on some of the guys available in this years draft.

Guest TerraTor
Please explain how a former MVP was the most overrated player in the league

Ya seriously. Pretty sure he has done great things in Seattle

Im also having trouble thinking of any starting RBs worse than Cedric Benson

Production wise, there weren't many teams out there with a worse backfield than the one the Bears had. Adrian Peterson is a 3rd string back, could be a 2nd string back if you have a pretty good 1st stringer. Benson proved to be terrible.

Now the Bears line deserves some of the blame, Ron Turner's play calling deserves a chunk of the blame as well, but so does Benson who didn't seem to hit the hole or play with the urgency that he did during the super bowl season (where he looked extremely good down the stretch).

He seemed to have an explosion and never go down when the first guy hit him.

He won that award running behind an O-Line with Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson in it.

So? Adrian Peterson has one of the best lines in the NFL to run behind, that doesnt mean that he is less of a runner or didnt deserve to be the offensive rookie of the year.

Most good running backs have a good line. It isnt as if he is a one dimensional back, he can catch out of the backfield and he isnt all that bad of a blocker as well.

Because he had the best offensive line ever assembled since probably the Dallas Cowboys during their big run. What does Alexaner do besides run out of bounds?

I remember the running back who ran behind that Dallas offensive line, and was known for running out of bounds and scoring touchdowns. Gained a lot of yards too. In fact, he passed our beloved Walter Payton.

Just because your team has a good offensive line doesnt mean the back is overrated. Unless you think Adrian Peterson is overrated. Or Jamal Lewis with the Ravens. Or Terrell Davis. Or anybody not named Barry Sanders in the past 20 years.

On one hand, I think Alexander could be pretty effective after he has the off-season to get healthy and if you were able to get him to agree to playing with limited carries. Ie, give him the ball about 15 times a game and have another back, who compliments him well, get the ball about 12-15 times a game.

I also think having Alexander around could give Benson a serious kick in the butt. The only true issue is that I don't think the style of Alexander/Benson is all too different which would mean he wouldn't be the type of back that would compliment Cedric.

I think a good fit if the Bears didn't want to go RB in the draft would be Justin Fargas. He has shown this past season that he is a pretty effective player. He's also got a lot of quickness and would be the perfect combo back. For all I know the Raiders have already resigned him. Of course I find it hard to pass up on some of the guys available in this years draft.

First off, I was in favor of Justin Fargas, but he signed a 3 or 4 year deal for 12 million with Oakland a couple of weeks before FA started.

I'm skeptical about Alexander, and it would depend on how much money he wants. He looked flat-out awful last season. That being said, I'd be thrilled if we dumped Benson after he gets healthy, signed Alexander, and give Wolfe more of an opportunity. There's all this talk about drafting a RB, but we've done it twice in the last 3 years with no luck.

First off, I was in favor of Justin Fargas, but he signed a 3 or 4 year deal for 12 million with Oakland a couple of weeks before FA started.

I'm skeptical about Alexander, and it would depend on how much money he wants. He looked flat-out awful last season. That being said, I'd be thrilled if we dumped Benson after he gets healthy, signed Alexander, and give Wolfe more of an opportunity. There's all this talk about drafting a RB, but we've done it twice in the last 3 years with no luck.

I think the point some are trying to make is this:

A great OL makes an average to good RB look great. See Shaun Alexander and Emmit Smith.

Take that same RB, especially one who is known for habitually running out of bounds rather than taking on contact in the hole, and combine him with an OL that opens up like Kobe Tai, and you have the opposite...averge/good looks average/bad.

You have to remember that one of the RB's we drafted, Wolfe, has absolutely no chance to be a starter in the NFL. His only option is to excel as a special teams player and as an ocassional change of pace back (both as a RB and a receiver). The problem is the Bears don't really have the luxury of such a player (given they have Hester/Manning/Rashied Davis, who are all return men). The Bears need to draft a legitimate, potential starter/pro bowl type running back and let that guy push Benson. I'm not implying using the first round pick either (although I would have no problem with Mendenhall at 14, but I prefer oline) rather the 2nd or 3rd round pick.

One of Felix Jones/Jonathan Stewart could very well be there at 2 and that is a 1st rnd quality back who can really come in and push Benson. If Benson turns things on, awesome, you have two good backs, neither of which have a bad contract and you stick with it (its been shown that it really is an asset to have two good backs, since injuries happen).

I just don't see how Wolfe fits in. Peterson is a better backup (better as a RB, better as a WR, better as a blocker). He's not as quick as Wolfe though, but it is ridiculous to carry 4 RB's, unless Wolfe is contributing on special teams (we know Peterson is a big time contributor there and with the Bears losing some key ST guys, drafting another RB which pushes and makes the rushing game better, plus allows Peterson to go back to ST's and absorbing some of our key losses there is a good thing, imo).

and let it stay that way. Shaun Alexander is (or atleast was) the most overrated football player in the league, IMO he is worse than Cedric Benson. DONT PICK HIM UP JERRY!

Because he had the best offensive line ever assembled since probably the Dallas Cowboys during their big run. What does Alexaner do besides run out of bounds?

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: