Why not sign Darwin Walker?

bradjock

I know he wasn't a favorite on here, but I always thought his bad year had more to do with injuries then anything else. Granted, that's pure speculation.

That being said, in 2006 we were loaded at tackle with Tank, Tommie, Boone, and Scott. For at least one game, 3 of the 4 were out and we struggled with injuries all season long.

In 2007 we were again loaded with Tommie, Dvoracek, Walker & Adams. Again we were killed with injuries.

Is there something about these big linemen who can't move quickly without getting hurt?

That being said, Walker is still available. He can't be expensive since nobody has signed him, he knows the system and he'd shore up a major need without us having to draft yet another DT early on.

I thought maybe we couldn't sign him, since we cut him (at least partially) to avoid paying him a roster bonus he was due. I feel like there some kind of rule against cutting someone so you don't have to pay a bonus, then signing him back, but I could be on crack rock. I never really saw enough of him to know whether he's worth taking a shot at, but at this point I'd just as soon give Matt Toeaina his snaps. Honestly, I wouldn't have any problems giving Grady Jackson a shot. I know he's a run stuffer and doesn't fit the classic scheme, but we had so much difficulty with rush defense last year, I can't help but feel like he's help.

Adams played well last year, Walker didn't. I think we go again with Dusty, Harris as starters with Adams as the #3 and I believe Toeina gets a shot at being #4. Idonije sticks around as #5. Then we'll see another young body brought in for competition either through the draft or some FA hanging around hoping to make a million dollars next year.

I know he wasn't a favorite on here, but I always thought his bad year had more to do with injuries then anything else. Granted, that's pure speculation.

That being said, in 2006 we were loaded at tackle with Tank, Tommie, Boone, and Scott. For at least one game, 3 of the 4 were out and we struggled with injuries all season long.

In 2007 we were again loaded with Tommie, Dvoracek, Walker & Adams. Again we were killed with injuries.

Is there something about these big linemen who can't move quickly without getting hurt?

That being said, Walker is still available. He can't be expensive since nobody has signed him, he knows the system and he'd shore up a major need without us having to draft yet another DT early on.

If he can be had at a bargain and is healthy, I could see us getting him back if needed.

Agreed on Adams. IMHO, he was one of our most consistent players on the DL. He isn't flashy or a big playmaker, but simply a solid inside presence. I felt he often took on double teams on run downs, and was simply solid in the middle.

You mention Dusty and Harris starting. Harris is obvious, but I think Dusty has to earn the job, and I would allow Adams an absolute chance to win it also. Last offseason, Dusty won the job but then went down w/ injury. Adams though was new to the team and I remember reading how he was having trouble making the adjustment to the new scheme, but now a year later, I wonder how the competition will go.

W/ regard to Walker, I do not think we will even look at him prior to the draft. If we leave the draft w/o a new DT, then who knows. But w/ that said, I would wager we will draft another DT. Only once has Angelo not drafed DL, and that year w/ only had 6 picks, and no 3rd rounder. This year we have 8 picks (more if we get comp pick(s), and two 3rds. I do not see us drafting DE after extending Brown and getting back our red shirt Bazuin. So I think the odds are high we will draft a DT at some point. So when you add a rookie to the mix, which already has Idonije and Toeina, I simply doubt we will be looking at any DTs in FA.

Agreed.

I liked what little I saw in Dusty in the San Deigo game as I was there. But Adams has earned a shot. I see no need for Walker really... Unless it's just an on the cheap move that gives a little more depth. Not to mention Toeinea did pretty well as well.

Agreed on Adams. IMHO, he was one of our most consistent players on the DL. He isn't flashy or a big playmaker, but simply a solid inside presence. I felt he often took on double teams on run downs, and was simply solid in the middle.

You mention Dusty and Harris starting. Harris is obvious, but I think Dusty has to earn the job, and I would allow Adams an absolute chance to win it also. Last offseason, Dusty won the job but then went down w/ injury. Adams though was new to the team and I remember reading how he was having trouble making the adjustment to the new scheme, but now a year later, I wonder how the competition will go.

W/ regard to Walker, I do not think we will even look at him prior to the draft. If we leave the draft w/o a new DT, then who knows. But w/ that said, I would wager we will draft another DT. Only once has Angelo not drafed DL, and that year w/ only had 6 picks, and no 3rd rounder. This year we have 8 picks (more if we get comp pick(s), and two 3rds. I do not see us drafting DE after extending Brown and getting back our red shirt Bazuin. So I think the odds are high we will draft a DT at some point. So when you add a rookie to the mix, which already has Idonije and Toeina, I simply doubt we will be looking at any DTs in FA.