Bears almost drafted Booty?

butkusrules

Angelo in his draft wrap up was talking about choosing between a "QB" and Steltz. The only Qb that was off the board after Steltz and before the Bears picked again in the 5th was Booty. JA went on to say he wanted starters with this draft and he believed strongly of the two that Steltz was a starter.

Angelo in his draft wrap up was talking about choosing between a "QB" and Steltz. The only Qb that was off the board after Steltz and before the Bears picked again in the 5th was Booty. JA went on to say he wanted starters with this draft and he believed strongly of the two that Steltz was a starter.

And that sort of short term thinking can doom a franchise. Yes, we needed starters, but not just for this year. Steltz may well start this year, but if they liked Booty, and he was able to develop and start in a couple years, I would say that is a FAR better pick than getting an in-the-box safety for now.

Is Angelo trying to save his job? How often do we read about GMs getting short sighted. If we draft a QB, it may not be for a couple years that QB develops, and in that time, if we suck, the GM could be gone. Was Angelo concerned about his job, and could that be why he went w/ immediate help over a potential future QB starter?

And that sort of short term thinking can doom a franchise. Yes, we needed starters, but not just for this year. Steltz may well start this year, but if they liked Booty, and he was able to develop and start in a couple years, I would say that is a FAR better pick than getting an in-the-box safety for now.

Is Angelo trying to save his job? How often do we read about GMs getting short sighted. If we draft a QB, it may not be for a couple years that QB develops, and in that time, if we suck, the GM could be gone. Was Angelo concerned about his job, and could that be why he went w/ immediate help over a potential future QB starter?

Of course, only time will tell, but I think they made the right choice. The two QBs we signed as UDFA apear to be as capable as Booty, IMdO.

From the thread about NE taking Bowman if we didn't:

But they were in a position to do so. In blasting the pick, I have even said numerous times that if we were a team like NE, we could afford to take a flier on a player like Bowman. NE is a team w/ some needs, but far fewer than we. They are, w/o the draft, would still be expected to challenge for the SB. We needed the draft not for depth or future players, but for immediate starters.

When you are a good team, you are in a better position to take fliers like this. When you are looking for some upgrades, or looking for some youth and/or depth, that is one thing. But when you go into the draft needs starters at: OT, OG, QB, RB, WR and maybe S and DT too, you can less afford to take fliers on players who are expected to need several years to develop, and who have very high degree of injury risk.

From this thread:

You even mention safety as one of the positions we might need starters at now, but then you blast the gm for getting someone they think can start.

Now, I expect you'll respond with something about it being different with a qb, which is fine, but if you believe that, you should say that in your criticism. You can't have it both ways, blasting someone for not caring enough about starters this year, then blasting him for caring about starters this year.

Of course, only time will tell, but I think they made the right choice. The two QBs we signed as UDFA apear to be as capable as Booty, IMdO.

I agree time will tell. Personally, where I felt we screwed the pooch was passing on Brohm. While I like Forte, and think he can be a solid RB, I think Brohm can be a franchise QB. Now I fear he will be a franchise QB for our biggest rival.

Your right. Time will tell. But how sick will bear fans be if, down the road, Brohm is indeed a franchise QB for GB?

People need to realize that no matter what QB we could have taken in the draft, not one of them was going to come in and start right away, and I'm damn sure none of them were going to become franchise QB's and take us to the Super Bowl. People are getting there panties in a bunch becayse we didn't pick one, but the QB position was incredibly weak this year. Ryan should not be the 3rd overall pick, and Joe Flacco definitely doesn't deserve to be the 18th overall pick.

I find it confusing that people would have been so much more satisfied if we picked some random QB in the 4-7 rounds. Is it going to make that big of a difference? No. If everyone knew Tom Brady was going to become a stud, he wouldn't have been drafted 199 overall. Things like that don't happen often. Get over it. We didn't pick a QB. Move on. Booty or Dixon or Johnson or Ainge is NOT going to lead the Bears to the Super Bowl.

There were 2 realistic options that could have made a difference for the Bears. One, picking Brohm in the 2nd round. Two, picking Woodson late in the draft.

Nice attempt to twist, but I have been more than vocal enough in saying I believe the QB position is simply different.

In Bowman, we took a flier on a player who (a) has little experience above JUCO level, as he was injured most of his time at Nebraska (B) his injuries were not minor, and were a reason many teams took him off their boards completely.

Bowman has skills. No question. But he is a big time project w/ mostly JUCO experience, and an even bigger risk due to the significant injury history. And further still, Bowman is a high risk project at a non-need position.

Sorry, but that is simply different from drafting a QB. QB is arguably our top need, compared to CB which is among our least.

People need to realize that no matter what QB we could have taken in the draft, not one of them was going to come in and start right away, and I'm damn sure none of them were going to become franchise QB's and take us to the Super Bowl. People are getting there panties in a bunch becayse we didn't pick one, but the QB position was incredibly weak this year. Ryan should not be the 3rd overall pick, and Joe Flacco definitely doesn't deserve to be the 18th overall pick.

I find it confusing that people would have been so much more satisfied if we picked some random QB in the 4-7 rounds. Is it going to make that big of a difference? No. If everyone knew Tom Brady was going to become a stud, he wouldn't have been drafted 199 overall. Things like that don't happen often. Get over it. We didn't pick a QB. Move on. Booty or Dixon or Johnson or Ainge is NOT going to lead the Bears to the Super Bowl.

There were 2 realistic options that could have made a difference for the Bears. One, picking Brohm in the 2nd round. Two, picking Woodson late in the draft.

That confuses the hell out of me, too. There's nothing special about the status of being drafted. Those guys in the 7th are just not that much different than undrafted free agents, which we have 2 of.

Though I don't see why Henne wouldn't have been an option in the 2nd, too.

Confused by your point. First you seem to act like it would have been wrong to take a QB in the draft, but then you throw out the above comment, which seems to contradict the rest of your post.

I am on record (to say the least) in saying we blew it passing on Brohm.

As for taking a later QB, I have no idea if any may be good. Nor do you, despite your guarantees. Like you said, no one knew Brady would be Brady. My issue is, when you look at our draft, there are numerous fliers (big injury risks or developmental projects) at non-need positions, and it sure seems like a QB would have been a better route. Does that mean if we took Woodson isntead of a #3 TE, it would have been or good pick, or that Woodson would become a great QB. No. But why is it not worth the risk?

As for the get over it. What the hell. It is Tuesday. The draft ended less than 48 hours ago. How brief of a window do you allow for fans who are not thrilled w/ everything the team does, and wish to criticize. Or is there a window at all. Should we just be nice little sheep and enjoy each and every move Angelo makes?

Nice attempt to twist, but I have been more than vocal enough in saying I believe the QB position is simply different.

In Bowman, we took a flier on a player who (a) has little experience above JUCO level, as he was injured most of his time at Nebraska (B) his injuries were not minor, and were a reason many teams took him off their boards completely.

Bowman has skills. No question. But he is a big time project w/ mostly JUCO experience, and an even bigger risk due to the significant injury history. And further still, Bowman is a high risk project at a non-need position.

Sorry, but that is simply different from drafting a QB. QB is arguably our top need, compared to CB which is among our least.

It was a 5th round pick. Get over it.

I didn't twist, you just weren't clear. No fliers except on qbs, but taking a flier on a qb you're marginally interested in is absolutely crucial. Got it.

Confused by your point. First you seem to act like it would have been wrong to take a QB in the draft, but then you throw out the above comment, which seems to contradict the rest of your post.

I am on record (to say the least) in saying we blew it passing on Brohm.

As for taking a later QB, I have no idea if any may be good. Nor do you, despite your guarantees. Like you said, no one knew Brady would be Brady. My issue is, when you look at our draft, there are numerous fliers (big injury risks or developmental projects) at non-need positions, and it sure seems like a QB would have been a better route. Does that mean if we took Woodson isntead of a #3 TE, it would have been or good pick, or that Woodson would become a great QB. No. But why is it not worth the risk?

As for the get over it. What the hell. It is Tuesday. The draft ended less than 48 hours ago. How brief of a window do you allow for fans who are not thrilled w/ everything the team does, and wish to criticize. Or is there a window at all. Should we just be nice little sheep and enjoy each and every move Angelo makes?

Woodson and Brohm are different because of the value they have compared to where they were picked. Brohm was the 2nd best QB in this draft behind Ryan. Getting him in the 2nd would have been great value. Woodson, a few months ago, was a 1st round pick. Many thought the Bears would take him 14th overall. He ended up being a 7th round pick. That is great value.

Picking a QB just to pick one is stupid.

I dsilike when people use the cliched "getting panties in a bunch" comment...but to address your concerns more diplomatically, I don't believe anyone here is really arguing that any QB we could have drafted would be starting this year. Instead it's either been directly stated or intimated that whoever it was, was going to sit behind either Grossman or Orton for a year. But at least they will have been under the system for a year before being asked to start. (like Steve McNair, Carson Palmer...etc)

While the QB class was weak, it doesn't mean you give up on it. It's not like our offensive talent evaluators have been all that accurate. If we had a better track record, I'd tend to believe them.

OK, of your list of guys who won't get us to the Super Bowl, you sure Rex and Kyle can? I personally would have rather seen Josh Johnson give it a shot over seeing Rex fumble and throw picks yet again.

I agree that Ryan, Brohm and Woodsen were the best propects...but we could have got Woodsen easily... And Brohm as well.

Not picking one in 3 years is even stupider...

Woodson and Brohm are different because of the value they have compared to where they were picked. Brohm was the 2nd best QB in this draft behind Ryan. Getting him in the 2nd would have been great value. Woodson, a few months ago, was a 1st round pick. Many thought the Bears would take him 14th overall. He ended up being a 7th round pick. That is great value.

Picking a QB just to pick one is stupid.

I dsilike when people use the cliched "getting panties in a bunch" comment...but to address your concerns more diplomatically, I don't believe anyone here is really arguing that any QB we could have drafted would be starting this year. Instead it's either been directly stated or intimated that whoever it was, was going to sit behind either Grossman or Orton for a year. But at least they will have been under the system for a year before being asked to start. (like Steve McNair, Carson Palmer...etc)

While the QB class was weak, it doesn't mean you give up on it. It's not like our offensive talent evaluators have been all that accurate. If we had a better track record, I'd tend to believe them.

OK, of your list of guys who won't get us to the Super Bowl, you sure Rex and Kyle can? I personally would have rather seen Josh Johnson give it a shot over seeing Rex fumble and throw picks yet again.

I agree that Ryan, Brohm and Woodsen were the best propects...but we could have got Woodsen easily... And Brohm as well.

I think it was fairly obvious with the drafting of Williams and Forte that the Bears and Jerry Angelo are trying to go back to the hard-nosed, black and blue running game that led us to the Super Bowl in 2006. Thats part of the reason why I see Orton being the starter for the majority of the season. We're going to run the ball, we're going to pound it in, we're going to use our defense and special teams to be part of our offense, and were going to give Orton the ball and tell him to keep us in it and not turn it over.

Now, I'm not saying Orton is the best option we have at QB, but he is definitely the safest. We all know the abilities and potential that Grosman has, but he is a mental midget. He makes dumb mistakes and dumb decisions. I've always been one of the only Rex fans here, but I want this team to win in the end, and I think Orton is the "safe" pick while Rex gives you the potential to be a great QB but has yet (if ever) put it together.

I believe everyone who talked about missing out after Brohm and Henne are correct. However, once we missed them, there was no point in taking another QB just to draft one. So the issue is not really not drafting ANY QB, it is more about why we didn't draft the corps group of QB's that had the potential to be our starting QB (Ryan, Flacco, Brohm, Henne).

I didn't twist, you just weren't clear. No fliers except on qbs, but taking a flier on a qb you're marginally interested in is absolutely crucial. Got it.

I wasn't clear. Okay. But do you really want me to elaborate? :)

Look, I am fine w/ some fliers. Taking a flier day two is part of the norm. But IMHO, we took several fliers. Also, while I say fliers, that is part of the problem. I have just as big of an issue w/ the TE pick. That is not a flier. He was considered a well regarded TE, and he doens't have massive flags except being in need of more development. But a 3rd TE?

So it isn't "just" taking a flier on a CB. It isn't "just" drafting a #3 TE. It isn't "just" adding yet another in-the-box safety. It isn't "just" getting another DT w/ character issues. It is the cumulative effect of all these picks combined that ticked me off.

Williams is not a great run blocker. His strength is as a pass protector. He is more athletic than powerful. Oh, and by the way, he lacks a mean streak.

I agree we are going to run the ball, but if we were making some huge push toward being a big time running offense, then I would have to really questions some picks. Our one OL pick (other than the 7th round) was an athletic, finesse pass protector. We ignored OG, where St. Clair will be starting. We did not add a FB, and lets be honest, McKie is no great run blocker.

Sorry to tell you this, but while Forte may be a heck of a runner, we did not use the draft to set up some awesome run game.

So drafting starters is short sighted??? That's what GM's get paid to do. You are killing me here.

Is Angelo trying to save his job?
All GM's draft as if their life depended upon it.
How often do we read about GMs getting short sighted.
Only when you are on-line
He said he thought the Safety could be a starter. He called the QB backup material. He went on to say the QB's were mediocre this year. Stop looking for the magic bullet.