Impact of Benson's Arrest

jason

Since Benson was already on thin ice, and clearly not living up to expectations, is this arrest the opportunity the coaches needed to supplant him as training camp #1? Will there be a "RB Battle" similar to the "QB Battle"? I could easily see the coaches going with the rookie from day one, saying that he just plain ol' beat out Cedric Benson in camp.

Is this a possibility?

Would it be wise?

I think even if this event with Benson had not happened, they would have entered the camp as 1a & 1b and slugged it out for the starters position. Now, if this turns out that Benson was indeed guilty of the things he has been alleged to have done, it may very well cause the Bears to cut their loses earlier than expected and possibly pick up a veteran as a #2 or just go with AP & Wolfe as #2 & #3 respectfully.

Since Benson was already on thin ice, and clearly not living up to expectations, is this arrest the opportunity the coaches needed to supplant him as training camp #1? Will there be a "RB Battle" similar to the "QB Battle"? I could easily see the coaches going with the rookie from day one, saying that he just plain ol' beat out Cedric Benson in camp.

Is this a possibility?

Would it be wise?

I really doubt it. Lovie has shown a penchant for declaring starters, most often vets, and Benson will be that Vet. Now if there is more crap to come out of the boating incident, I can easily see Forte moving up at TC.

Guest TerraTor
I really doubt it. Lovie has shown a penchant for declaring starters, most often vets, and Benson will be that Vet. Now if there is more crap to come out of the boating incident, I can easily see Forte moving up at TC.

Benson isnt even a vet, i dont think hes played in a ful 16 games. They will slug it out and Forte will win. I know its the same old rookie fantasy, but honestly, benson is a joke

Is this a possibility?

Would it be wise?

Why does everyone assume that Adrian Peterson won't be in the mix? AP's not a "special player" by any means, but he damn near set a receiving record last year for all the balls he caught. He's a very good blocker, and very solid overall.

He's not elite, and he's not the kind of back you win a Super Bowl with, but he was clearly the best running back on this team last year. If there's any debate about who should be starting, it should be Forte vs. AP.

Considering Cedric can't handle blocking assignments and he's more worried about getting hit then catching the ball, I don't know how anyone can include him in the equation.

Why does everyone assume that Adrian Peterson won't be in the mix? AP's not a "special player" by any means, but he damn near set a receiving record last year for all the balls he caught. He's a very good blocker, and very solid overall.

He's not elite, and he's not the kind of back you win a Super Bowl with, but he was clearly the best running back on this team last year. If there's any debate about who should be starting, it should be Forte vs. AP.

Considering Cedric can't handle blocking assignments and he's more worried about getting hit then catching the ball, I don't know how anyone can include him in the equation.

I agree. AP is definitely gonna be in the mix. He isnt the guy you want to shoulder the whole load like he had to last year but he is definitely more than capable to get decent playing time.

Cracks me up you say AP is a very good blocker. IMHO, he flat out sucked last year. Benson missed assignments by blocking to the wrong side, but while AP knew where to block, he could not block his man. I watched AP do one of two things last year. He either tried to block high, and got bulled over, or he went for the pass rushers knees and the rusher just leaped over him.

Prior to last year, I thought AP was supposed to be a good blocker, but I tried to take more notice last year, and simply never saw anything close. IMHO, AP is a worse blocker than Benson.

Also sort of cracks me up how you say AP is solid overall. I believe he had the same 3.4 ypc average you bash Benson for. If the OL is not an excuse for Benson, should it be for AP. AP has had 6 seasons in the NFL, w/ the same team, and despite what fans want to believe, is simply a backup. Nothing more.

He is a good receiving back, I have no problem giving him that, but if Wolfe is as advertised, does AP give you anything in that regard?

AP is a special teams standout, but as a RB, he just is not that much to speak of. He was a solid receiving option out of the backfield, but if Wolfe steps up, how would AP fit in.

Cracks me up you say AP is a very good blocker. IMHO, he flat out sucked last year. Benson missed assignments by blocking to the wrong side, but while AP knew where to block, he could not block his man. I watched AP do one of two things last year. He either tried to block high, and got bulled over, or he went for the pass rushers knees and the rusher just leaped over him.

Prior to last year, I thought AP was supposed to be a good blocker, but I tried to take more notice last year, and simply never saw anything close. IMHO, AP is a worse blocker than Benson.

Also sort of cracks me up how you say AP is solid overall. I believe he had the same 3.4 ypc average you bash Benson for. If the OL is not an excuse for Benson, should it be for AP. AP has had 6 seasons in the NFL, w/ the same team, and despite what fans want to believe, is simply a backup. Nothing more.

He is a good receiving back, I have no problem giving him that, but if Wolfe is as advertised, does AP give you anything in that regard?

AP is a special teams standout, but as a RB, he just is not that much to speak of. He was a solid receiving option out of the backfield, but if Wolfe steps up, how would AP fit in.

I agree. I am not impressed with AP at all in any aspect. IMO he is a worse ball carrier than Benson or Wolfe.

AP should not be in an discussion for the #1 back on this team.

I agree. I am not impressed with AP at all in any aspect. IMO he is a worse ball carrier than Benson or Wolfe.

AP should not be in an discussion for the #1 back on this team.

Good points Nfo and AZBF. AP is now the undisputed leader on STs. And while he was able to break off some nice gains, he did that, for the most part, in 3rd down situations when teams were thinking pass first and pulling back. I too do not think that he should be considered our nº 1 back. He is valuable, but for other reasons. Let's see what we can do with the trio of CB, Forte and Wolfe.

Good points Nfo and AZBF. AP is now the undisputed leader on STs. And while he was able to break off some nice gains, he did that, for the most part, in 3rd down situations when teams were thinking pass first and pulling back. I too do not think that he should be considered our nº 1 back. He is valuable, but for other reasons. Let's see what we can do with the trio of CB, Forte and Wolfe.

Like you said AP is the ST leader especially with Brendon Ayanbedejo gone. Last year i saw him whiff on so many blocks when i thought he was supposed to be a good blocker. He did his most damage on screens and draws and I think Wolfe in his sophomore year should be taking that over he seems better suited for those kind of plays.

Like you said AP is the ST leader especially with Brendon Ayanbedejo gone. Last year i saw him whiff on so many blocks when i thought he was supposed to be a good blocker. He did his most damage on screens and draws and I think Wolfe in his sophomore year should be taking that over he seems better suited for those kind of plays.

If Forte is what they think he is, he'll be running a lot of those screens and draws. He's suppose to be a 3-down back that can be left in there no matter what the situation. If that is the case, I would think that the #2 back would be used for a series here and there to rest Forte and Wolfe would come in on long distance downs replacing the #2.