Today's NFL is turning some positions into endangered species

DrunkBomber

Can you see Butkis playing 20 yards deep? Can you see Butkis shadowing athletic QBs like Vick, McNabb or Young? Can you see Butkis covering speed backs and faster TEs in routes?

To me, if the question is whether Butkis could be an NFL LB today, the answer is yes. If the question of whether he would be a MLB in a cover 2 defense like ours, the answer is no. While I think he would be similar to Ray Lewis, I do not think he would fit our scheme.

Thats a fair assessment.

(Ps. It's Butkus, not "Butkis") :cheers

No, not really. He couldn't thrive as well in a cover 2...but I'm not sold on cover 2 being a great defensive set. But, like you said in earlier posts...he's rock in the Raven's/etc schemes. And, I'd bet you a Mars bar that a vast majority of NFL teams would still take him as MLB in a cover 2 over whoever they currently had regardless.

Let's be honest...Urlacher's history as a saftey in college translate beautifully to his current role. Butkus played center too...

Yeah, he wouldn't fit our scheme perfectly and our current crop of coaches,etc would pass on him only to see him destory the league...

Can you see Butkis playing 20 yards deep? Can you see Butkis shadowing athletic QBs like Vick, McNabb or Young? Can you see Butkis covering speed backs and faster TEs in routes?

To me, if the question is whether Butkis could be an NFL LB today, the answer is yes. If the question of whether he would be a MLB in a cover 2 defense like ours, the answer is no. While I think he would be similar to Ray Lewis, I do not think he would fit our scheme.

No argument he could play now, just where.

He would be a great fit in a traditional 4-3 scheme as the MLB. In a cover two defense like ours, I think he could be a great WLB or SLB, but simply question the fit at MLB. That isn't a knock, but simply putting him where he would fit best.

The size and speed of the game have changed. While I agree that numerous HOF players of old could still play today, they may simply not fit the same role for every team. Some older LBs may need to play S. Some MLB may need to play SLB. Some RBs may need to be FBs, or visa versa. Some DTs would be DEs. They may still be great players, but simply in different roles.

name='nfoligno' date='May 20 2008, 11:14 AM' post='39230']

Yes to all, I can and have seen Butkus playing 20 yards deep and intercepting passes in the deep middle. Get some tape on him. Yes, he covered TE's and ran down running backs. Yes, he could play cover two, but it would have ruined the greatest force the game has ever seen. He could have played any position on the front seven and been a HOF'er.

You seriously need to calm down. I'm not in Url's jock.

And no fast is not fast. There are degrees of fast. And Butkus was not as fast as Url is today.

Blame it on science or whatever, but todays players are bigger, faster , and stronger. Not saying Butkus would not be good, but he would start at MLB in our defense. Move over Dick!!!!!! :lol:

Just messing with you. Hope I didn't offend. :cheers