Safety position

nfoligno

What's everyones thoughts on our safety position right now. Per reports:

- Mike Brown is looking great, and finished OTAs w/ picks in each of the last two days. Insiders say the defense simply looks so much better w/ him on the field. I think we all know this, and the only question is whether he can stay healthy.

- McGowan seems to have the SS position right now. Suprisingly, reports are of his beating out Daniel Manning. His beating DM is not a shock so much as who has not be involved at SS thus far.

- PFW says the team doesn't appear to know exactly what to do w/ DM. Is he is a safety or nickel DB? They say he is getting the majority of his looks now when the team moves to a 3 safety package. DM could be spending most of the season riding the pine.

- Trib reported the other day that Steltz was spending most of the OTAs at FS. This is a surpise, IMHO, as he was touted as an in-the-box safety after the draft, but early reports talked of his potentially playing FS, and thus far, OTA seem to have that playing out. I know the staff talks about our safety positions being interchangable, but I simply have always disagreed. While a player like Brown can play either, I think he is the exception more than the norm. Maybe Steltz is similar to Brown, but his downfield coverage was a question in the draft, so he has a lot to prove at FS, IMHO. It will be very interesting to see whether he is getting more looks at SS in camp, or if the team truly does view him as the FS of the future.

I have seen nothing about Payne, which disappoints me. I think he has plenty of talent, and was high on him last year.

If Brown is healthy, I think there is no question we are far more solid at safety. The questions are (a) who will be our SS and (B) what does our backfield look like if Brown does go down again. Right now, it looks like McGowan will be our starting SS. If Brown goes down, does Steltz become our starting FS. I wonder if that isn't why he is working at FS. W/ it likely expected Brown will not last at FS, maybe the idea is to work Steltz there, so he doesn't have to learn to positions, and can simply step in if Brown goes down.

I think you pretty much summed it up...

The hope is Mike Brown stays healthy. I think MacGowan is on the other side. The question is whether Brown can stay healthy...

I would also like to see what Payne can bring to the table. He looked pretty decent before getting hurt. ...and I would also like to see Steltz get some reps.

What's everyones thoughts on our safety position right now. Per reports:

- Mike Brown is looking great, and finished OTAs w/ picks in each of the last two days. Insiders say the defense simply looks so much better w/ him on the field. I think we all know this, and the only question is whether he can stay healthy.

- McGowan seems to have the SS position right now. Suprisingly, reports are of his beating out Daniel Manning. His beating DM is not a shock so much as who has not be involved at SS thus far.

- PFW says the team doesn't appear to know exactly what to do w/ DM. Is he is a safety or nickel DB? They say he is getting the majority of his looks now when the team moves to a 3 safety package. DM could be spending most of the season riding the pine.

- Trib reported the other day that Steltz was spending most of the OTAs at FS. This is a surpise, IMHO, as he was touted as an in-the-box safety after the draft, but early reports talked of his potentially playing FS, and thus far, OTA seem to have that playing out. I know the staff talks about our safety positions being interchangable, but I simply have always disagreed. While a player like Brown can play either, I think he is the exception more than the norm. Maybe Steltz is similar to Brown, but his downfield coverage was a question in the draft, so he has a lot to prove at FS, IMHO. It will be very interesting to see whether he is getting more looks at SS in camp, or if the team truly does view him as the FS of the future.

I have seen nothing about Payne, which disappoints me. I think he has plenty of talent, and was high on him last year.

If Brown is healthy, I think there is no question we are far more solid at safety. The questions are (a) who will be our SS and (B) what does our backfield look like if Brown does go down again. Right now, it looks like McGowan will be our starting SS. If Brown goes down, does Steltz become our starting FS. I wonder if that isn't why he is working at FS. W/ it likely expected Brown will not last at FS, maybe the idea is to work Steltz there, so he doesn't have to learn to positions, and can simply step in if Brown goes down.

Kevin Payne--I'd heard on the SCORE we want him to replace Brendon Ayenbadejo on special teams. This could be the reason he's not getting much of a chance at SS.

Danieal Manning--What happened to him playing nickel-back and replacing RMJ?

Steltz--My guess is we're preparing for him to inevitably replace Mike Brown. Rather then start him at SS, then move him to FS in week two, just keep him working on FS for when the inevitable happens. (Mike Brown injury)

DManning can't possibly be our SS because that job requires someone who can tackle, he can't at least not very well. He does have the athleticism to play as a nickel DB I'm not sure if he'll fit there or not. Certainly having his size in the nickel slot would be much better than having McBride play there.

McGowan deserves to be listed as the starter at SS right now but I'm not ruling out Payne at all. Minicamp is not where this job is won unless a guy is just totally out of alignment on plays. How can you evaluate a SS until they start tackling people? As far as Payne playing special teams vs. being our starting SS refer to Charles Tillman who is a cover guy on special teams. I don't think that's a factor in the starting SS decision at all.