Lloyd, Grossman, Orton oh my

ASHKUM BEAR

Reports out of the Halas are that Brandon Lloyd is by far the best WR in the bunch. Fan Favorite Mike Hass will most likely be packing his bags as he will most likely be a practice player again and the Bears may let him pursue a shot with another team. Riddeau, Bennett, and Monk have all looked better than Hass so they will be competing for roster spots. Right now, the WR spots fill up as: Booker, Lloyd, Davis, Bennett, Bradley, Monk. (Hester also, but more of ST). Bradley is now walking with out his brace.

St. Clair is still holding the LT spot, until Williams can "officially" take it from him in competiton.

Beekman has been taking snaps at C with the second team

-Bentley may be a nice pick up if they don't plan on developing Beekman at guard.

Grossman has looked better than Orton, who would of guessed, but not by a landslide. Both QB's have been throwing a lot of picks. Orton has just been throwing more. Grossman also has looked nice making all the throws long, mediate, and short. Orton shows his flashes making check downs, hitting the 3 and 4 options.

On D, J. Williams looks capable of being a NFL starter. Unfortunate for him, he won't unseat Url, Briggs, or Hilly.

Reports out of the Halas are that Brandon Lloyd is by far the best WR in the bunch. Fan Favorite Mike Hass will most likely be packing his bags as he will most likely be a practice player again and the Bears may let him pursue a shot with another team. Riddeau, Bennett, and Monk have all looked better than Hass so they will be competing for roster spots. Right now, the WR spots fill up as: Booker, Lloyd, Davis, Bennett, Bradley, Monk. (Hester also, but more of ST). Bradley is now walking with out his brace.

The Lloyd news does not surprise me. When he signed with Washington he was very similar to Berrian. This might be his last shot in the NFL if he doesn't make it, so he has everything to prove. That's too bad about Hass, but not really surprising.

St. Clair is still holding the LT spot, until Williams can "officially" take it from him in competiton.

Beekman has been taking snaps at C with the second team

I hope like hell Williams takes it from St. Clair pretty quickly so St. Clair can move back to LG. I sure as hell don't want to see any more of Terrance Metcalf.

Grossman has looked better than Orton, who would of guessed, but not by a landslide. Both QB's have been throwing a lot of picks. Orton has just been throwing more. Grossman also has looked nice making all the throws long, mediate, and short. Orton shows his flashes making check downs, hitting the 3 and 4 options.

If it's a competition, Grossman wins everytime. But Orton's a helluva a lot better with the checkdowns.

On D, J. Williams looks capable of being a NFL starter. Unfortunate for him, he won't unseat Url, Briggs, or Hilly.

I look for Williams to replace Hilly if he can do the same type of intangibles that Hilly does.

The Lloyd news does not surprise me. When he signed with Washington he was very similar to Berrian. This might be his last shot in the NFL if he doesn't make it, so he has everything to prove. That's too bad about Hass, but not really surprising.

I hope like hell Williams takes it from St. Clair pretty quickly so St. Clair can move back to LG. I sure as hell don't want to see any more of Terrance Metcalf.

If it's a competition, Grossman wins everytime. But Orton's a helluva a lot better with the checkdowns.

I look for Williams to replace Hilly if he can do the same type of intangibles that Hilly does.

I really hope Lloyd is Berrian-esque this year as that would help a ton. I agree on Hass.

I do, too, but if St. Clair is the better fit and Williams is a struggling rookie, which is likely, then I'd want St. Clair to stay there.

Agree on the QB. I'm not so sure I am at ease with either of the 2. Orton is probably safer, but when Rex is on, he's on.

I agree. I think if Hillenmeyer plays poorly, I think we can see Williams and him splitting time.

Hunter is pretty good in his own right. It would be very tough for JWilliams to unseat him. I do like the fact that we finally seem to have some depth at LB especially after what Url went through last year. And you never know when Briggs will have another accident.

name='bradjock' date='Jun 11 2008, 08:50 PM' post='40459']

I'm starting to see this another way. IMO - St. Clair should stay at backing up both tackle positions. Even though he can produce value at starting guard, his impact will be felt in a larger way if gets injured and can not relieve one of our OT's, if needed. We have people who can play guard to back up the guard position. I think Metcalf is getting the 1st team reps as an indicator of whether he can play NFL caliber football. His chance last season was hindered by a broken hand. Metcalf is considered a punch blocker. Now that the hand is healthy, there are no excuses. Remember, a healthy Rueben Brown is still out there and waiting for a call. I considered him our best OL until he got hurt last year. He's 36 and would still be an upgrade over any guard on our roster. I don't believe they will hesitate to sign him if deemed necessary. My desire is that they do it sooner than later. But, you know how stubborn our staff is.

I'm starting to see this another way. IMO - St. Clair should stay at backing up both tackle positions. Even though he can produce value at starting guard, his impact will be felt in a larger way if gets injured and can not relieve one of our OT's, if needed. We have people who can play guard to back up the guard position. I think Metcalf is getting the 1st team reps as an indicator of whether he can play NFL caliber football. His chance last season was hindered by a broken hand. Metcalf is considered a punch blocker. Now that the hand is healthy, there are no excuses. Remember, a healthy Rueben Brown is still out there and waiting for a call. I considered him our best OL until he got hurt last year. He's 36 and would still be an upgrade over any guard on our roster. I don't believe they will hesitate to sign him if deemed necessary. My desire is that they do it sooner than later. But, you know how stubborn our staff is.

St Clair not start at LG. He is our swing tackle. One of this surplus of guards we have has got to step up.

Peace

Smith can't afford to be picky if he wants to keep his QB healthy and get some production from the running game, Connor. If they aren't going to bring in an FA, St. Clair should be competing with Metcalf and let the one who sucks less have the spot. It's hard to believe Beekman is already crossed off the list.

If Turner uses him correctly, I think Lloyd could be a good receiver for the Bears - at least by Chicago's low standards at that position. Ron needs to understand that Brandon hates getting hit. If he's asked to go in the middle where LBs and safties are going to nail him, he'll disappear from the game. He's a very poor blocker for the same reason. However, against wimpy corners he will make a lot of tough catches.

With Grossman, it's feast or famine. With Orton, it's generally all lesser famine. It all depends on what you want. Personally, I'd prefer to see Grossman as the starter, as he's got a much better arm than Orton, and I've got to believe that he'll start to check his backup options on plays someday.

name='AZ54' date='Jun 12 2008, 09:03 PM' post='40543']

I would love for one of the young OGs to step up and earn the LG starting spot but in the end I want the 5 best Oline players on the field. If that means St Clair starts at LG so be it.

I hope your philosophy is right. I just don't see it , as it is dangerous. Sometimes less is more. But, if the other OG's really suck, you have to pull the string. I'm still of the mindset to re-sign Rueben Brown before starting St. Clair at OG.