Walker beaten, robbed of cash and jewelry in Las Vegas

DrunkBomber

LAS VEGAS - Oakland Raiders wide receiver Javon Walker could be released from the hospital Tuesday, a day after he was beaten, robbed and left unconscious on a Las Vegas street after a night of partying, police said.

A large amount of cash and some jewelry were taken from Walker, who suffered "significant injuries," police said.

Career Statistics:

Receptions: 252

Yards: 3,815

Touchdowns: 30

Seasons: 6

Police Lt. Clinton Nichols said detectives are retracing Walker's activities in the hours before he was found injured Monday morning on a street off the Las Vegas Strip.

"That's one of the first things we do, backtrack what he did and where he stayed," Nichols said, adding that the investigation was still in the early stages. "We knew there was a large amount of cash taken, and some jewelry."

Nichols said he believed Walker would be released after a 24-hour stay at the hospital. A hospital spokesman said he had no immediate information about Walker's condition.

A Raiders spokesman said the team was in the process of gathering information and had no further comment.

On Monday, police Officer Bill Cassell said in a statement that Walker was taken to a hospital with "significant injuries" and was in fair condition at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center.

Walker, 29, signed a six-year, $55 million deal with the Raiders after being released by the Denver Broncos in February.

Walker injured his right knee for the second time in his career last season and was limited to eight games and 26 catches in 2007.

A first-round draft pick by the Green Bay Packers in 2001, Walker had a breakout season in 2004 with 89 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. He tore a ligament in his right knee the next season and played only one game.

He was traded to Denver in 2006 and bounced back with 69 catches for 1,084 yards and eight touchdowns.

Pretty crazy. They found him unconscience on the street in Vegas.

At some level...something tells me "Luck" isn't the biggest factor.

Believe Im not the type that sympathizes with a lot of the things that happens to players when they put themselves in certain situations but in both of his cases him or someone he was with were victims of crimes and regardless what led to the event, nobody should have to hold their 24 year old friends in their arms as theyre dying.

He was not on one of the main streets in Vegas so you have to ask yourself-- what's millionaire doing hanging out on a relatively quiet street in Vegas in the early hours of the morning with a lot of cash? You can pretty much get whatever you want in any of the big hotels and have lots of security around you.

Thank you AZ because I was going to say the same thing. I live in Vegas and Koval is the back streets behind all of the hotels. I would not be caught dead (no pun intended) on that street at night. You're just asking for trouble. I don't think it's even possible to just stumble back there without going any major roads, so it does kind of seem like someone either placed him there or he wanted to be in a secluded area (I don't know why). Very odd story.

Thank you AZ because I was going to say the same thing. I live in Vegas and Koval is the back streets behind all of the hotels. I would not be caught dead (no pun intended) on that street at night. You're just asking for trouble. I don't think it's even possible to just stumble back there without going any major roads, so it does kind of seem like someone either placed him there or he wanted to be in a secluded area (I don't know why). Very odd story.

You gotta think though he was probably left there by whoever did it.....

Whatever happen....whoever did it must have been pretty big or he was def shwasted.....you would think that he would have had an entourage with him....

really strange story....

Believe Im not the type that sympathizes with a lot of the things that happens to players when they put themselves in certain situations but in both of his cases him or someone he was with were victims of crimes and regardless what led to the event, nobody should have to hold their 24 year old friends in their arms as theyre dying.

There is a video on youtube that shows Walker showering a crowd in a club with champagne. There is a rumor that he was in a bidding war with Floyd Mayweather as to who can buy the most bottles. Maybe he sprayed someone who didn't like it and got jumped.

The incident that got his friend killed also supposedly started with champagne being sprayed on a crowd.

There is a video on youtube that shows Walker showering a crowd in a club with champagne. There is a rumor that he was in a bidding war with Floyd Mayweather as to who can buy the most bottles. Maybe he sprayed someone who didn't like it and got jumped.

The incident that got his friend killed also supposedly started with champagne being sprayed on a crowd.

I forgot about the unwritten rule that spraying champagne on someone is grounds to get killed or beaten and robbed. Im not saying he wasnt acting like an idiot but this was a little extreme.

I forgot about the unwritten rule that spraying champagne on someone is grounds to get killed or beaten and robbed. Im not saying he wasnt acting like an idiot but this was a little extreme.

It may not be grounds in your eyes, nor in mine, but things like this will come as no surprise to people from the street. Guy 1 douses guy 2 with liquor, guy 2 gets pissed and confronts guy 1, guy 1 doesn't apologize, guy 2 feels disrespected and a fight between the posses breaks out. Things escalate further and someone gets shot.

This type of thing happens all the time in the urban community. Sometimes the spark is even less than sparying champagne. Sometimes it's an accidental bump or stepping on someone's shoe.

The Merriweather rumor is just that. A rumor. He was spraying w/ champaign, I guess, but I question how much that has to do w/ all this. What it could be more about is money. How much did he spend on all those bottles of Dom? When you throw money around like that, you are advertising to all.

I agree w/ the comments that it is not just all pure bad luck. At some point, players have to realize that when they put themselves in certain situations, the odds of something bad happening go up. I have heard so many players talk about how, when they go into a bar, too often others want to prove how tough they are by bowing up to a NFL football player. Personally, I think that is stupid as hell, but those patrons are likely drunk. Heck, isn't that what happened w/ Tank the night his friend was shot.

I am not saying players need to skip the clubs and stick to late night church services, but when they live the party life, I simply would say the odds of something bad happening does go up. They need to understand this, and protect themselves.

The Merriweather rumor is just that. A rumor. He was spraying w/ champaign, I guess, but I question how much that has to do w/ all this. What it could be more about is money. How much did he spend on all those bottles of Dom? When you throw money around like that, you are advertising to all.

I agree w/ the comments that it is not just all pure bad luck. At some point, players have to realize that when they put themselves in certain situations, the odds of something bad happening go up. I have heard so many players talk about how, when they go into a bar, too often others want to prove how tough they are by bowing up to a NFL football player. Personally, I think that is stupid as hell, but those patrons are likely drunk. Heck, isn't that what happened w/ Tank the night his friend was shot.

I am not saying players need to skip the clubs and stick to late night church services, but when they live the party life, I simply would say the odds of something bad happening does go up. They need to understand this, and protect themselves.

We also need to remember that although it seems like every NFL player is getting in trouble, there really are just a few bad apples. Alot of players live the party life, here in Miami especially, and most of them never make the headlines. The people they surround themselves with are a bigger issue than the clubs themselves imo.

We also need to remember that although it seems like every NFL player is getting in trouble, there really are just a few bad apples. Alot of players live the party life, here in Miami especially, and most of them never make the headlines. The people they surround themselves with are a bigger issue than the clubs themselves imo.

Walker didnt get in any trouble though. Regardless of how stupid he was acting, in both cases he was either the victim or his friend was a victim. Now, he did put himself in that situation both times but he didnt get in any trouble so its not really fair to compare this to something like Pacman or even Benson.

I don't think I ever compared him to anyone in particular but spraying champagne on a crowd of people not knowing who it might piss off is not the best way to keep trouble from finding you.

I don't think I ever intended to compare him w/ the likes of Pacman or Benson. My point was it may not be purely "bad luck" when you put yourself into situations where bad things happen. It doesn't mean he deserves it, or that he is necessarily a bad guy. I just am not sure it is as simple as bad luck when you put yourself into situations where bad things can happen.

Here is an interesting note from a Footballguys.com email update I received:

OAK - Video Tape Contradicts WR Walker's Story

Source: Norm Clarke, Las Vegas Journal-Review

Oakland Raiders wide receiver Javon Walker was seen entering a car under his own power at the Bellagio the morning he was found beaten and unconscious, it was learned Friday.

Metro police have surveillance tape of Walker going to the car, and it doesn't match the abduction story he told a Web site Tuesday, the source said.

Walker's story had been that he was abducted from his room:

"I was just back at my room, and at about 5:30 in the morning," Walker told TheDirty.com, "I got a knock at the door. I opened it, and three guys with guns were there. They cracked me in the head a few times, knocking me unconscious. They then robbed me of everything I had; my watch, money, everything. Somehow they got me to a car and dropped me off in the street. That's what happened."

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Interesting development here. If you're like me, you wondered why someone would rob a guy in his room and then haul him out of the hotel and then leave him on the street.