Would we be interested in Eric Parker, WR

Pixote

By Kevin AceeUNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

5:51 p.m. June 20, 2008

The signing of Mark Jones on Friday is not a big deal in and of itself. Jones, a receiver and punt returner, faces a major challenge making the Chargers' opening day roster.

But the presence of the four-year veteran gives the Chargers yet another option at receiver, where they will by training camp be without one of their most prolific and dependable pass catchers over the past five years.

t.gif

Sources said yesterday the Chargers have fielded calls from several teams about trading Eric Parker and that Parker will be traded or released by the start of training camp next month.

General Manager A.J. Smith declined comment.

"We don't discuss our football business," Smith said.

Parker's agent, Jack Bechta, is expected to take a role in facilitating a trade, though he said he was just learning about the situation.

"If this is happening, I will get involved," Bechta said. "I will start taking the lead. With the relationship I have with the front office and the respect Eric has garnered, I'm sure they'll let us participate in the process."

The Cleveland Browns, whose offensive coordinator is former Chargers tight ends coach Rob Chudzinksi, are among the teams that have shown interest in Parker. The Chargers are believed to be asking for a draft pick somewhere in the final three rounds.

Parker, 29, had surgery on his right big toe in October and did not play last season. He has been running and doing other drills but did not participate in minicamp or offseason coaching sessions.

Parker is healthy enough to play and will pass any physical with another team, according to several people with knowledge of his health.

Even missing the entire 2007 season, Parker's 170 receptions since 2003 rank third on the team behind Antonio Gates and LaDainian Tomlinson. Parker was also the Chargers' primary punt returner from 2004-06. But in addition to the injury, Parker has become expendable because of the arrival of Chris Chambers and development of the team's young receivers and punt returners. Behind No. 1 punt returner Darren Sproles, the Chargers have Buster Davis, Antoine Cason, Chambers, Antonio Cromartie, Eric Weddle and others.

Not really. I see no reason why the Bears should bring in another WR when the Bears have no clue how good their present WRs may be.

Until the OC, OL, and QB get fixed, the WRs are an unknown. For all we know, the group in Chicago may be capable of greatness.

I personally believe that there is enough combination of speed, power, explosiveness, and talent to do well in the NFL, if not excel...but as I said, OC, OL, QB...

Not really. I see no reason why the Bears should bring in another WR when the Bears have no clue how good their present WRs may be.

Until the OC, OL, and QB get fixed, the WRs are an unknown. For all we know, the group in Chicago may be capable of greatness.

I personally believe that there is enough combination of speed, power, explosiveness, and talent to do well in the NFL, if not excel...but as I said, OC, OL, QB...

I hear ya, IMO this will be Turners last straw. If he cannot turn the offense around he needs to be let go and we can start from scratch. The new OC will have Orton and a 1st RD draft choice at QB, and choice of a vet backup. If Turner does turn it around and Grossman shows he's worthy to remain a Bear, the Bears will be in good shape going into the 2009 season. Draft a stud RT/LG, QB, WR, and RB and we'd be ok. We just need to get our identity as having a great O'line again.

Here's my problem with the idea. Let's say hypothetically that Eric Parker would come in and be the best of the bunch.

Right now, the Bears have Lloyd, Hester, Bradley, Davis, Hass, at least one draft pick who's name I can't remember, Booker, and probably another guy I'm forgetting somewhere along the line. On top of that, the Bears are holding 3-4 tight ends, and a couple of running backs at least one of whom we'd really like to involve in the passing game.

So, let's say they sign Parker tomorrow. When exactly is he going to get playing time in training camp? When are the Bears even going to have time to check him out? They've thrown a ton of sort-of-marginal guys at the WR position already in the hopes that some of them will catch on, which with that number of guys is entirely possible. But at some point, you're throwing so many guys in to the vat that they're going to get in each other's way. Parker needs reps, so Hester gets fewer, or Bradley gets fewer, one of the developmental guys gets less work, and it just isn't going to work.

If you're talking about Randy Moss level talent, ok, we can talk because the potential rewards would be so great. But Eric Parker? Do you expect him to come in and catch 100 balls and be the best WR in the league next year? Unless you expect that, another body is just overkill.

I do not think Parker is worth it. Not because I fear there would not be enough balls to go around, but because simply put, he is not that good. In SD, you have an elite RB (who is also a great receiver) and an elite TE. This combination takes pressure off the WRs, yet for years, SD has struggled to find a WR worth jack. The article says the addition of Chambers made Parker expendible. Well, if Parker was any good, they would not have needed to trade for Chambers. Sorry, but he just is not worth it.

I do not think Parker is worth it. Not because I fear there would not be enough balls to go around, but because simply put, he is not that good. In SD, you have an elite RB (who is also a great receiver) and an elite TE. This combination takes pressure off the WRs, yet for years, SD has struggled to find a WR worth jack. The article says the addition of Chambers made Parker expendible. Well, if Parker was any good, they would not have needed to trade for Chambers. Sorry, but he just is not worth it.

My thinking was that because of his speed, if he were cut, and we could pick him up cheap (coming off an injury missed year I do not think any team will throw a lot of money his way) then why not bring him in and let him compete with the likes of LLoyd and Bradley to try and replace the down field threat we lost with Berrian left? If we do not extend much guaranteed money, it costs us virtually nothing to take a look, just as in the case of LLoyd.

you can always argue, "what would it hurt". He likely would not be expensive and have experience, but I just am not sure it is worth it.

He comes from a system very different from ours, and the transition would not be simple. He has already missed all the OTAs, and would be WAY behind once camp begins. If we were talking about a better talent, fine, but I just feel like he is not worth the trouble.

To me, it is would be far more beneficial to look at additions on the OL and at RB. At WR, I am not saying we are "set", but at the same time, any further additions could hurt the reps/PT of some of the players we hope to develop.

I see nearly no chance for him to come in at this late point and start, which means PT he gets would take away from some of the younger players we are hoping to develop.

No, at WR, I think we will live and die w/ what we have, and I am fine w/ that. In Booker and Lloyd, we have experience. In Davis, we have a good depth player who is looking to do more. In Hester, Bradley, Bennett, Hass and Monk, we have a slew of young WRs we hope to develop.

I think we are fine at WR, but need to really focus still on other areas of the offense.

you can always argue, "what would it hurt". He likely would not be expensive and have experience, but I just am not sure it is worth it.

Funny thing is, according to PFT, he would be a little expensive if he were not to restructure his contract:

" Signed through 2010, Parker is due to earn base salaries of $1.85 million, $2.225 million, and $2.65 million, respectively, over the next three seasons."

Funny thing is, according to PFT, he would be a little expensive if he were not to restructure his contract:

" Signed through 2010, Parker is due to earn base salaries of $1.85 million, $2.225 million, and $2.65 million, respectively, over the next three seasons."

But I do not think any of that would be guaranteed money and if he did not impress the hell out of us in camp, we cut him, and if he shows he would be a killer addition, 1.85 million is cheap by today's salary standards.

However, I must admit, NFO has convinced me that maybe we should sit back and see what we already have. Our attention should probably be best used towards the OL for now.

I think we are going off the assumption he is cut, and thus his current contract is not a factor.

True, they are, from what I am understanding, wanting a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick, but why would anyone do that if it is also rumored he will be cut. I would not offer a pick. If cut, he would have to be dirt cheap for me to be interested. However, I do agree with you in an earlier post, forget Wr for now, let's concentrate on our OL, because without a good OL this year, everything else we talk about on the offensive side of the ball is mute.

Agreed. I'm not sure Parker brings that much more to a table which is already on questionable legs...

True, they are, from what I am understanding, wanting a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick, but why would anyone do that if it is also rumored he will be cut. I would not offer a pick. If cut, he would have to be dirt cheap for me to be interested. However, I do agree with you in an earlier post, forget Wr for now, let's concentrate on our OL, because without a good OL this year, everything else we talk about on the offensive side of the ball is mute.

IMHO right now we don't need another WR to add to this team. If we have to add players I would add K.Jones and L. Bentley. Now with the addition of these two payer we are a better team in an instant. That move owuld provide experience and depth at two postions. Since Bentley was a center he can play both LG/RG and C and not miss a beat. I watched him play against us a few times and he was blocking the heck out of Harris,Scott and the LB'S when he was pulling from the center spot Hell Kruetz can't even do that well. He would work wonders next to Williams at LT. Now with Jones...enough said Forte/Jones would equal another season rushing like when we had Jones/Benson, just with less negative attitude because Jones wants to show teams that he still can play and Forte wants to make a name for himself.