We still need o-line help

bradjock

LOVED the Jones signing. What's not to like? I'm pretty damn happy with everything we've done this off-season. We've resigned our own guys, cut dead weight, and hope to have their replacements:

Archuletta gone, Draft Steltz

Cut Moose, sign Booker

Lose Berrian, get Lloyd

Dump Miller, draft Williams

Fire Benson, sign Jones

For every action, there's been reaction. (ok, we're still looking for a 3rd string QB, but I suspect we'll find one soon enough)

But we've yet to replace Ruben Brown. I wouldn't mind seeing St. Clair play LG, but to assume that Williams is actually ready to start at LT is a huge assumption. As for Metcalf, just about every year the guy gets a chance to start and either sucks or gets hurt (usually a combination of the two).

I just hope like hell we JA can find somebody to replace Brown (or even bring Brown back, although I know that's unlikely)

LOVED the Jones signing. What's not to like? I'm pretty damn happy with everything we've done this off-season. We've resigned our own guys, cut dead weight, and hope to have their replacements:

Archuletta gone, Draft Steltz

Cut Moose, sign Booker

Lose Berrian, get Lloyd

Dump Miller, draft Williams

Fire Benson, sign Jones

For every action, there's been reaction. (ok, we're still looking for a 3rd string QB, but I suspect we'll find one soon enough)

But we've yet to replace Ruben Brown. I wouldn't mind seeing St. Clair play LG, but to assume that Williams is actually ready to start at LT is a huge assumption. As for Metcalf, just about every year the guy gets a chance to start and either sucks or gets hurt (usually a combination of the two).

I just hope like hell we JA can find somebody to replace Brown (or even bring Brown back, although I know that's unlikely)

I'm not too optimistic about Metcalf at LG, but by the way it sounds he has turned a corner and will at least put up a fight to earn the position. When he played last year, he had a broken hand, that's one reason why St. Clair finished the year at LG. He has also took this opportunity (Brown not asked back) to step up and put in extra work this offseason. I'll give him the benefit of doubt for now, but theres not much left with him. I just don't understand why the light didn't flip on 4 years ago and why he is now pressing to improve.

What does a broken hand have to do with a guy who is too slow coming up out of his stance? Too slow to move laterally to pick up a blitzer? The problem with Metcalf wasn't that he got beat on one side too often, it's that he got beat every which way possible.

name='ASHKUM BEAR' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:49 PM' post='41659']

I'm not too optimistic about Metcalf at LG, but by the way it sounds he has turned a corner and will at least put up a fight to earn the position. When he played last year, he had a broken hand, that's one reason why St. Clair finished the year at LG. He has also took this opportunity (Brown not asked back) to step up and put in extra work this offseason. I'll give him the benefit of doubt for now, but theres not much left with him. I just don't understand why the light didn't flip on 4 years ago and why he is now pressing to improve.

I think you may have read that Metcalf turned the corner in an article by Larry Mayer. The only thing I took from that article is that he realizes he has an opportunity and is working hard to improve. My contention is that a professional athlete should be doing that regardless. The coach did not provide a glowing endorsement of his effort to date.

name='AZ54' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:17 PM' post='41660']

What does a broken hand have to do with a guy who is too slow coming up out of his stance? Too slow to move laterally to pick up a blitzer? The problem with Metcalf wasn't that he got beat on one side too often, it's that he got beat every which way possible.

He was bad, but I'm not sure to that extent. A broken hand on a punch style blocker like Metcalf is, means everything. You may have to take your entire body out of position to avoid greater pain than what you are experiencing.

All said, Metcalf was/is bad. With a healthy hand and improved work ethic, he can become a low-tier starter at best -IMO. Is that good enough? Yes, if Walter Jones is your left tackle. (But we have an unproven rookie.) Metcalf should be relegated to backup or cut. Experience is what we need next to Williams with a focus on next years draft to find a stud OG, as we don't have that player on the roster.

I am convinced that Angelo will at least improve the depth of the OL by bringing in an OLman who is released during the preseason do to salary cap or youth movement, a veteran who can spot start if necessary. Hopefully, he can stumble across another R Brown who can start and contribute at Guard.

I thought St Clair looked excellent at OG last year, whereas he struggled at OT. I know they need him as an OT now because of question marks around Chris Williams (sign the damn contract Chris!) but ideally, if we can have him next to Williams as the LOG I think our OL would be kick butt (assuming Williams plays well) with

Williams - LOT

St Clair - LOG

Kruenz - OC

Garza - ROG

Tait - ROT

Yes, I know,I probably misspelled a few names, LOL

I'd be a lot more anxious to give him the benefit of the doubt if we had a "plan B." I'd be just as upset if we'd done nothing to improve the safety position and we went into saying, "McGowan's our guy, and Mike Brown will stay healthy." But we did add Steltz, and we're hoping that Payne will stay healthy & D Manning will improve.

Yet at guard we've done nothing. We hoped Beekman might step up, but at the OTA's there were hints that he was behind Anthony Oakley & Tyler Reed on the depth chart. Then there is St. Clair, who's probably the best LG, but he's also the back-up RT AND LT. That's stretching it a bit thin.

Not to mention I don't think Chris Williams will be ready to start opening day. When was the last time we had a rookie win a starting job? Olsen, D Manning, Benson, Tommie Harris . . . even Urlacher. I can't think of any rookie starting on opening day. (Just for the record I think AP gets the opening day start over Forte, although that may not last long.)

Why we've added depth at every position but LG is mind-boggling to me.