Chris Williams

VenomSox

I admit I'm getting concerned but I also don't know the status of the top half of the draft class.

Come on Jerry, Git 'r done!

Not too many first rounders signed yet, I'm sure there still working out the little things with the CBA and the no cap year. I'll give it until Saturday and if nothing has been mentioned by then, then I'll get a little concerned.

Williams, the No. 14 overall pick, will sign a five-year contract, with $9 million guaranteed.

It must be getting very close if they are giving out contract information.

I went to this site and could not find the article you linked to. I am confused.

It must be getting very close if they are giving out contract information.

I went to this site and could not find the article you linked to. I am confused.

:huh:

You quoted from the article. How could you have not found it?

Now I'm confused... :D

If you mean that you can't find it on the Trib website, just go to the sports front page:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

It's right below the stuff on Favre (for now -- obviously that'll change).

:huh:

You quoted from the article. How could you have not found it?

Now I'm confused... :D

If you mean that you can't find it on the Trib website, just go to the sports front page:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

It's right below the stuff on Favre (for now -- obviously that'll change).

I quoted from the article that I read when I clicked on your link.

I had just gone to the site minutes before you posted to see if there was any news on the signing. I did not see the link when I went there. When I read your article I went back and again missed the link. You would have thought they would have made this story more prominate on the site since it is by far the issue most concerning Bears fans at this point, instead of a picture of Farve in a Bears Uniform. Sorry, guess I need to be more attentive in the future when I go to search for news.

I quoted from the article that I read when I clicked on your link.

I had just gone to the site minutes before you posted to see if there was any news on the signing. I did not see the link when I went there. When I read your article I went back and again missed the link. You would have thought they would have made this story more prominate on the site since it is by far the issue most concerning Bears fans at this point, instead of a picture of Farve in a Bears Uniform. Sorry, guess I need to be more attentive in the future when I go to search for news.

No, I just didn't understand what you meant. The site's not presented very well. Even now, the Williams story is on the fp, but not on the Bears page. Naturally.

It's on the Bears page but not highlight very well sitting below the Favre photo. Somebody must have been very proud of themselves for figuring out how to use photoshop and sticking Favre inside a Bears uniform. The only interest I have in the Favre saga is how much dissension it causes in Green Bay's locker room.

Thing is didn't the article that said they were close to signing Forte also mention that they were close to signing Williams? I kind of remember reading that around that time. Though if they are giving out details I would have to think that the announcement of the signing is close. Most rookie deals are 5 years and all that's reported is that 9 mil is guaranteed. There may be other details to be hammered out before he signs. I hope it's soon as you said camp starts on Tuesday. It's now less than 2 1/2 days before camp.

They aren't far apart but I think the key is no one near him has signed a deal yet so that has been causing the final hold-up. I think if it gets closer to Wed you'll see the Bears sweeten the deal just a bit and get things done regardless of whether the other teams around the Bears have signed (neither side is far apart so I'd be stunned if there was a holdout).

They aren't far apart but I think the key is no one near him has signed a deal yet so that has been causing the final hold-up. I think if it gets closer to Wed you'll see the Bears sweeten the deal just a bit and get things done regardless of whether the other teams around the Bears have signed (neither side is far apart so I'd be stunned if there was a holdout).

Like I said in reply to another post on Urlacher, I think Bill Johnson, Urlacher's agent, is also Chris Williams' agent. Maybe this will spur things along. Could BJ have been using Chris Williams as leverage to get Urlacher signed to an extension? (assuming I am correct and BJ is Williams' agent).

Like I said in reply to another post on Urlacher, I think Bill Johnson, Urlacher's agent, is also Chris Williams' agent. Maybe this will spur things along. Could BJ have been using Chris Williams as leverage to get Urlacher signed to an extension? (assuming I am correct and BJ is Williams' agent).

Either way, the two days before training camp there's usually a ton of signings and the guys who get picked in the teens rarely hold out. At the absolute worst, he might miss the first day. I'm confident it'll get done.

Either way, the two days before training camp there's usually a ton of signings and the guys who get picked in the teens rarely hold out. At the absolute worst, he might miss the first day. I'm confident it'll get done.

Agreed, I fully expect, by the time I get home from work tomorrow and log into the forum, Williams will be signed and JA will start the watch for cuts made by other teams that might include players worth bringing in and taking a look at.

I doubt Hester gets his new contract because he wants starting WR money and he has yet to prove his worth as a WR. Hester would be better off waiting, proving he is a valuable WR, then seek his new contract. I am sure that is basically what JA has told him. If he is reworked now, he will not be happy with the new contract, especially after a year or two if he works out to be a #1 or #2 WR starter.

I doubt Hester gets his new contract because he wants starting WR money and he has yet to prove his worth as a WR. Hester would be better off waiting, proving he is a valuable WR, then seek his new contract. I am sure that is basically what JA has told him. If he is reworked now, he will not be happy with the new contract, especially after a year or two if he works out to be a #1 or #2 WR starter.

I think a shorter Hester deal would get done. It's been said Hester wanted Bernard Berrian money, and I've heard Hester's agent Eugene Parker wants to sign him to a shorter deal so he can get paid again later.

IMO a 2 year extension would be good for both sides. Hester could get paid immediately which he certainly deserves. (I bought a football preview magazine & there was a huge picture of Hester featured on the Bears page . . . he's becoming more famous then Urlacher). Isn't he scheduled to make $650,000 this year? Since he relies on quickness, one bad knee injury could be flat out devastating to his career.

If Hester's not happy with the contract he knows we'd be willing to renegotiate again in 2 years.

I think I read somewhere that the deadline to report is midnight tonight. First practice is tomorrow at 3pm then I wonder how that works if he's not allowed to participate in the practice if he signs tomorrow morning as opposed to prior to midnight tonight. Or does that simply mean he has to report (show up) by midnight and would still be able to sign a contract the next morning and not miss the first practice.

The only thing that bugs me is that if they were close to signing an we have some details about the length and guaranteed mony for a while now, why does it take several days from that point to find a pen and sign it. This is the 14th pick not the 4th pick If there's a hold out I'm not going to be to thrilled about that. We need him in camp from day one if he's going to be our starting LT.

I think I read somewhere that the deadline to report is midnight tonight. First practice is tomorrow at 3pm then I wonder how that works if he's not allowed to participate in the practice if he signs tomorrow morning as opposed to prior to midnight tonight. Or does that simply mean he has to report (show up) by midnight and would still be able to sign a contract the next morning and not miss the first practice.

The only thing that bugs me is that if they were close to signing an we have some details about the length and guaranteed mony for a while now, why does it take several days from that point to find a pen and sign it. This is the 14th pick not the 4th pick If there's a hold out I'm not going to be to thrilled about that. We need him in camp from day one if he's going to be our starting LT.

Here's what I remember when Cedric "Dog Breath" Benson finally signed: He'd held out for a month or so he finally agreed to terms on a Sunday evening. The season hadn't started but training camp was done. When he agreed he was still in Texas (which IMO meant he didn't give a damn).

So he arrives on Monday, and as I remember, he didn't practice until Wednesday. They had to give him a physical, do a bunch of paper-work, and so on. I'm guessing they have them go through a series of strength & conditioning drills.

That being said, you hear about other guys signing and then practicing the next day. I guess if the guy is motivated, it's a one day turn-around. Lets hope that Williams is smart enough to be staying near-by, so when it happens, he's immediately good to go.