I'll be stunned if this happens

AZ54

From the Bears website:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4871

What were your impressions of Danieal Manning at the nickel position in offseason workouts?

Danieal picked up everything at that position real quick. Now we have a guy playing underneath who has athletic ability, speed and quickness. He’s also a physical guy that we know can support the run. I’m very pleased right now the way he’s picked things up and progressed throughout OTAs. I think he’s going to be a great nickel for us.

We all know the coaches aren't going to call out a guy in public nor do I want them to, but stating that DManning is a physical player and will be a great nickel DB for us is stretching things too far IMO. I have no way to know what happens in private discussions but once again statements like these make me question if this coaching staff will hold players accountable and can actually work with them to improve their performance. If DManning turns into a physical run stuffing nickel DB for us I'll gladly eat crow but his body of work at safety leads me to think my plate will stay empty all season long.

From the Bears website:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4871

What were your impressions of Danieal Manning at the nickel position in offseason workouts?

Danieal picked up everything at that position real quick. Now we have a guy playing underneath who has athletic ability, speed and quickness. He’s also a physical guy that we know can support the run. I’m very pleased right now the way he’s picked things up and progressed throughout OTAs. I think he’s going to be a great nickel for us.

We all know the coaches aren't going to call out a guy in public nor do I want them to, but stating that DManning is a physical player and will be a great nickel DB for us is stretching things too far IMO. I have no way to know what happens in private discussions but once again statements like these make me question if this coaching staff will hold players accountable and can actually work with them to improve their performance. If DManning turns into a physical run stuffing nickel DB for us I'll gladly eat crow but his body of work at safety leads me to think my plate will stay empty all season long.

Manning did show signs of being physical towards the end of the season last year. He's mostly thought of as being soft because of that play versus the Vikings where he bounced off Purple Jesus allowing him to score a touchdown. But we later found out that he was instructed to "get the ball back" meaning, go for the strip instead of the tackle.

When Steve Wilks is saying that D Manning is fast, athletic, and physical, I believe him. Manning has been in this system for two years now, so why shouldn't he be picking things up quick? But Manning's problem has always been making bad reads, getting out of position, and arriving a step too late. I don't see how moving him to the nickel will help this.

The most surprising thing about this is that we're serious about moving him too nickel and this does likely mean the inevitable end of RMJ. (I thoght perhaps we were just trying to light a fire under his ass.)

Guest TerraTor
Manning did show signs of being physical towards the end of the season last year. He's mostly thought of as being soft because of that play versus the Vikings where he bounced off Purple Jesus allowing him to score a touchdown. But we later found out that he was instructed to "get the ball back" meaning, go for the strip instead of the tackle.

When Steve Wilks is saying that D Manning is fast, athletic, and physical, I believe him. Manning has been in this system for two years now, so why shouldn't he be picking things up quick? But Manning's problem has always been making bad reads, getting out of position, and arriving a step too late. I don't see how moving him to the nickel will help this.

The most surprising thing about this is that we're serious about moving him too nickel and this does likely mean the inevitable end of RMJ. (I thoght perhaps we were just trying to light a fire under his ass.)

He is by far our worst player on D.

He is by far our worst player on D.

If I went through the Top 12-13 players on the Bears Defense...how many of them have never had a pro bowl caliber season or aren't thought of really highly? The whole D-Line, Every LB except HH, Vasher, Tillman, Brown...Pretty easy to be the worst player on a defense when that's the kind of company you're keeping.

If I went through the Top 12-13 players on the Bears Defense...how many of them have never had a pro bowl caliber season or aren't thought of really highly? The whole D-Line, Every LB except HH, Vasher, Tillman, Brown...Pretty easy to be the worst player on a defense when that's the kind of company you're keeping.

Agreed. Being the worst player on the Bears defense is like being the ugliest skank at Hugh Hefner's house. It's still pretty damn good.

Here's a sobering thought: THREE offensive starters from week 1 last year are likely out of the league (Fred Miller, Ruben Brown, & Mr. "I ace the sobriety test every time")

If we cut RMJ, there's no doubt in my mind he'd be signed quickly. He doesn't even start. D Manning would go fast also.

Our back-up/mediocre defensive players are highly sought after while our offensive starters go directly to the scrap heap. That speaks volumes about the differences between our offense & defense (although Arch is in the heap also)

Moose is in Carolina and they think they got a steal when they signed him. The real theft will soon be visible to all once Moose tries to catch a pass. OTOH Berrian picked up a huge amount of money which would seem to indicate he was the only weapon we had on offense.

Agreed. Being the worst player on the Bears defense is like being the ugliest skank at Hugh Hefner's house. It's still pretty damn good.

Here's a sobering thought: THREE offensive starters from week 1 last year are likely out of the league (Fred Miller, Ruben Brown, & Mr. "I ace the sobriety test every time")

If we cut RMJ, there's no doubt in my mind he'd be signed quickly. He doesn't even start. D Manning would go fast also.

Our back-up/mediocre defensive players are highly sought after while our offensive starters go directly to the scrap heap. That speaks volumes about the differences between our offense & defense (although Arch is in the heap also)

Yeah if Todd Johnson and Cameron Worrel got picked up RMJ wont have any trouble finding a new home. Where as Justin Gage is the biggest name of our offensive cast-offs in the last couple of years.