The Saints Extend Colston...

Mongo3451

From PFT

SAINTS EXTEND COLSTON

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 23, 2008, 7:33 p.m.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the New Orleans Saints have signed wide receiver Marques Colston to a three-year contract extension. The deal locks up Colston through the 2011 season.

A 2006 seventh-round draft pick out of Hofstra, Colston burst onto the scene with a phenomenal rookie season, catching 70 passes for 1,038 yards and eight touchdowns. In 2007 he was even better, with 98 catches for 1,212 yards and 11 touchdowns

Thanks to the NFL salary structure that saddles late-round picks with minimum-salary contracts, Colston has been one of the most underpaid players in the league the last two years. Although financial details of his new deal haven’t been released, it’s safe to say he’s not anymore.

I posted this to equate to the Hester situation. It may belong in the Hester thread. Both are 3rd year players that have way outdone their rookie deals. Maybe JA and Parker will look at that as a reference. Hester should make no less than Colston, but not a lot more - IMO.

name='Pixote' date='Jul 24 2008, 05:04 AM' post='42003']

Colston proved he is a number one WR. Hester has not. He can not expect the same numbers as Colston. I do not see how this can be used as a yardstick for Hesters new deal.

I have to disagree. You have equate that Hester is the greatest return man of all time, instant offense at times, provider of best field position in the NFL and future face of the franchise, on top of going into camp as a starting reciever. Hester does not have to prove to be a bona-fide #1 receiver to be paid as one. He's just that valuable in other areas.

I am sorry, he should not get paid as a #1 WR until he has proven he is one. We all applauded Angelo for not paying Berrian #1 WR money when he hadn't proven himself to be one and let Minny overpay him. Same goes here. Sure, break the bank and give him the biggest ST Return Man contract ever written, but not the BIG BUCKS that a #1 WR would get.

Let's tear the contract up and do one up. Start with the greatest KR ever and he's only 23. I give him 4 years at 18mil, with 8 mil upfront and performance incentive. Now, to do his wr next. I want that on a 6 year deal with incentives everywere. If he doesnt hit his incentives he gets3 mil/year. If he hits them, he gets 5.5 mil. Now add the contracts los side is 7mil, high side is 10mil. Factor in the overlapping responsibilities you can the low merged would be 5.5mil, while high side would be about 8mil. So, I'll work him in at 5yr/35 mil(10mil guaranteed)

Agree and Disagree.

I agree Hester does not have to prove himself as a #1 WR in order to be paid like one, but he does have to prove he is a capable WR first. By capable, I am thinking starting grade. Due to his return talents, he does not have to prove himself as a #1 Wr to be paid like one. His ability as a returner compensates. But he does have to prove he can be a solid WR first, before he can be paid like a #1 Wr.

Personally, I think this is pretty stupid of Hester. If he showed up to camp and started to light things up, he leverage would be much higher. But staying at home, making threats, and simply falling further and further back on the depth chart is doing him little good. This is not like if Briggs or Urlacher stayed home for a while. They have nothing to prove, and would immediately return to their starters role. Hester was a VERY questionable starter to begin w/, and a holdout could find him begging the staff for playing time (on offense).

I posted this to equate to the Hester situation. It may belong in the Hester thread. Both are 3rd year players that have way outdone their rookie deals. Maybe JA and Parker will look at that as a reference. Hester should make no less than Colston, but not a lot more - IMO.

Whoah, Colston has proven a lot more at a more important position than Hester has. Yes, Hester is the most explosive return man in the game, but Colston has emerged as a legit #1 player who is much more involved in the day to day flow of the offense.

I'd say all talks start below what Colston got in his extension and if they paid him the same or more the Bears are out of there freaking minds.

Agree and Disagree.

I agree Hester does not have to prove himself as a #1 WR in order to be paid like one, but he does have to prove he is a capable WR first. By capable, I am thinking starting grade. Due to his return talents, he does not have to prove himself as a #1 Wr to be paid like one. His ability as a returner compensates. But he does have to prove he can be a solid WR first, before he can be paid like a #1 Wr.

Personally, I think this is pretty stupid of Hester. If he showed up to camp and started to light things up, he leverage would be much higher. But staying at home, making threats, and simply falling further and further back on the depth chart is doing him little good. This is not like if Briggs or Urlacher stayed home for a while. They have nothing to prove, and would immediately return to their starters role. Hester was a VERY questionable starter to begin w/, and a holdout could find him begging the staff for playing time (on offense).

I thinnk a happy medium is to pay him a solid base with incentives, if reached, place him in the upper tier that he wants.

Agree and Disagree.

I think a happy medium is to pay him a solid base with incentives, if reached, place him in the upper tier that he wants.

Mentioned this before, but as much as I might agree, I think you will have a much more difficult time convincing Hester or his agent. We as fans ALWAYS talk about incentive laiden deals, but how often due you actually see a player sign one of those deals. They want the up front, guaranteed money. They do not want deals they have to earn. They want their money now.

Mentioned this before, but as much as I might agree, I think you will have a much more difficult time convincing Hester or his agent. We as fans ALWAYS talk about incentive laiden deals, but how often due you actually see a player sign one of those deals. They want the up front, guaranteed money. They do not want deals they have to earn. They want their money now.

Hester really doesn't have a leg to stand on if he wants to be unreasonable with his demands. We'll have to withhold judgement until we see some actual numbers.