Hester has hurt Hammy

KiLoc69

HESTER HAS HURT HAMMY

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 25, 2008, 7:23 p.m.

Although Bears receiver/return man Devin Hester reported to training camp today, he did not practice, and multiple media outlets in Chicago are reporting that he has an injured hamstring.

The Daily Herald reports that when Hester was asked if he would practice without a contract extension, he answered, “I have no comment on that.”

But Hester did say he decided to end his brief holdout after Bears General Manager Jerry Angelo and coach Lovie Smith told him they thought they could make progress on a contract extension.

“Progress was starting to move, and it was looking good, so I came back,” Hester said. “I talked to Jerry and coach Lovie, and everything seemed like it was starting to work out in the right order, and we were starting to hear what we liked, so I’m showing up.”

A Chicago sports radio station reported that if the hamstring keeps Hester out for long, the Bears could place him on the non-football injury list.

Conspiracy theory alert...he's still holding out.

No conspiracy about it, the jerk is still holding out. When asked in an interview if he would practice without an extension he says no comment. He shows up and has a mysterious hammy problem. How much you want to bet the hammy does not get better until the extension is signed? He is still a hold out. He is just using the system, makes him look good and saves him some money.

Well-timed ouchie keeps Hester in the clear from injury

By Brad Biggson July 25, 2008 5:50 PM

Devin Hester has arrived at Bears' training camp and he has a curiously timed, maybe even luckily timed hamstring pull.

The club failed him on his physical and placed him on the non-football injury list meaning he cannot practice until he passes a physical.

Hester made it clear Wednesday when his two-day boycott began that he was concerned about getting injured before he secured a longterm contract. There's no fear of that if he's not suiting up. He also doesn't have to fear a $15,000 daily fine, which he would have had he stayed away from camp.

Asked if he would begin practicing before signing a contract extension he replied, "I have no comment on that." Coach Lovie Smith said the injury is not serious.

Draw your own conclusions here but it could be he's healed just in time to put his name to a contract. How soon that will happen, who knows. There wasn't any negotiating going on late Friday afternoon with agent Eugene Parker as the club's entire front office was out watching practice. Stay tuned.

RIght now, looking positively, he's made a moves that saves face for him and the team.

He is in camp, thus showing "good faith", and the Bears "never negotiate" unless someone is in camp. I expect a deal to be done by the time I get back from my honeymoon on Aug 2...

No conspiracy about it, the jerk is still holding out. When asked in an interview if he would practice without an extension he says no comment. He shows up and has a mysterious hammy problem. How much you want to bet the hammy does not get better until the extension is signed? He is still a hold out. He is just using the system, makes him look good and saves him some money.

RIght now, looking positively, he's made a moves that saves face for him and the team.

He is in camp, thus showing "good faith", and the Bears "never negotiate" unless someone is in camp. I expect a deal to be done by the time I get back from my honeymoon on Aug 2...

Precisely. He and the Bears got together and made the decision it would look better if he were in camp, even if he wasn't practicing. His hammy is as hurt as mine. He'll heal when the ink on his new deal dries. And that isn't me slamming him, this is a wise move by both parties. And it suggests that things are moving in the right direction. I just hope the Bears don't cave to him too badly. I really see this as a deal that could go south very quickly.

Precisely. He and the Bears got together and made the decision it would look better if he were in camp, even if he wasn't practicing. His hammy is as hurt as mine. He'll heal when the ink on his new deal dries. And that isn't me slamming him, this is a wise move by both parties. And it suggests that things are moving in the right direction. I just hope the Bears don't cave to him too badly. I really see this as a deal that could go south very quickly.

What's most important is that he's with the team, studying film, lifting weights, etc. Heck, if he legitimately had a minor injury we wouldn't hestitate to yank him from practice.

Although I wonder how that works if a player is cleared by the team Dr.'s but swears he's still injured. Has that ever happened? (Other then with Cedric "I should have stuck with baseball" Benson)

The strange thing is the fake injury actually gives Hester a certain amount of leverage.

This could get REAL ugly if we don't agree to terms soon.