Eating Crow...

sulster

I will admit i was very unhappy about the pick on draft day and voiced my opinion. After reading and seeing the clips on youtube,

i was wrong. Looks like the front office does know more than I do. He is the exact opposite of Seabass, who i despised with a passion.

I sometimes wonder if the Bears were waiting for CB to "do something stupid" in the off season so they could cut him. He was a complete tool and they cut him after the second deal without much detail known at the time. Drafting Forte was a sign of things to come, I think. They knew CB was coming off an injury and with his history, didn't want to take chances on his character not allowing him to dedicate himself to the process of recovery from that injury.

I applaud the Bears on their handling of their problem cases these last 24 months or so. Everyone is going to have things like this come up. It's a measure of the organization that they're able to deal with them swiftly and professionally. Sends a message to the rest of the guys, too.

He's still going to have to put it together on the field. But so far he's done everything right, from the way he handles the press to the way he's practiced on the field.

I definitely like his skill-set and am excited to see what he can do at the NFL level. However, I think we all have to remember he's a rookie and with that we'll see growing pains.

I loved him 3 weeks before the draft and it looks like Brian-nostradomus-Bear got it right. :cheers

John Clayton said (I know, many of you don't think he really goes to camps) that Forte has been the most impressive rookie so far in the NFC North in TC. He said his vision and shiftiness has been very good, as well as his power and speed combo.

Hester has a ton of burst but I wouldn't say he has a lot of power. When I see LBs moving backwards then I'll agree.

It's simple physics. What would you rather get hit by a little S-10 or a Ford Super Duty both going 55mph. ( I think c-bass may have been a semi, hard to stop when going, but slow to get there and easily jackknifed) Hester's what 175-185 when wet, where as forte is a solid 215-220. There's the implied power. C-bass had power, but lacked the shiftiness and agility to make people miss, but so far forte looks to have those traits when running with the rock.

We're going way off base here but since you brought up physics...there's a difference between power and momentum. The example you used was momentum. I can also get a 300lb lineman to run into the hole and you might think he has power but it might just be his momentum that carries him forward through a LB. Think Fridge running over a LB.

In physics, power (symbol: P) is the rate at which work is performed or energy is transmitted, or the amount of energy required or expended for a given unit of time. As a rate of change of work done or the energy of a subsystem, power is:

where P is power, W is work and t is time.

To put it in a more logical way as to how we think about football Power = Force x Velocity. Think of the blocking sleds used to train lineman. We know it takes a certain amount of force to move the sled but the more powerful player will move the sled faster. Keep in mind this is moving it in a consistent way not just running into it and seeing how far it moved. A powerful RB moves the pile backwards which is why I said I'll believe Forte is powerful when I see a LBs moving backwards, not just falling backwards because someone knocked them over with their momentum.

By the way, Momemtum = Mass x Velocity

Devin Hester running twice as fast as lineman who is twice his size (mass) has the same momentum. If they both ran into the same player you'd see the same effect on that guy.

Going back to your example, if that little S-10 was setup with the 500 hp engine from a ZR-1 Corvette it would be more powerful than an Ford Super Duty which has a a maximum of 350hp. Both will kill me at 55mph but the Super Duty has more momentum and would throw my body about twice as far down the road. We're not delving into a discussion on torque. Nowhere in here does burst equate to power because a smaller lighter vehicle will accelerate more quickly (burst) with a less powerful engine. Thus a Lotus Elise (the Devin Hester of the sports car world) with it's tiny 4 cyl 190hp engine will easily outrun the 350hp Super Duty.