Bears scouting Simms

sprout

Yea, the backup QB is always the most popular in Chicago. Sad but true.

I like what I saw from Hanie, but also keep it in perspective. Right now, about the only thing I consider w/ him is hope for a possible future QB, but absolutely no expectation for the present.

Honestly, I just don't get the Simms love fest. He has never been a very good QB. Even back in college, he was a bit of a choke artist, and Oklahoma would own him. He could dominate North Texas, but when faced w/ a team that could rush him, he would cumble. Sound familiar? If we had an awesome OL, then maybe, but then wouldn't Rex and Orton likely look better?

No, at this point, i simply don't see the point in adding Simms. We made the choice to ignore any QB options this offseason, so we may as well stick w/ that plan. Plus, I wonder how much of Rex and Orton's mediocre play thus far us due to the OL, and further wonder what QB we could add that wouldn't suffer the same w/ our OL issues.

We should be looking at ways to fix the OL. Do that, and who knows, maybe our QBs won't look quite as bad.

Exactly!

I personally am not a fan of Simms. But given our options, nor am I vehemently opposed. I personally would rather us make a blockbuster trade for Quinn if Anderson starts playing exceptional again in Cleveland. It would give us a name, a fairly local prospect, and a potential franchise guy.

In the meantime, we do need to continue to bolster the OL. I want to see more FA moves and a continued plan to draft .

Yea, the backup QB is always the most popular in Chicago. Sad but true.

I like what I saw from Hanie, but also keep it in perspective. Right now, about the only thing I consider w/ him is hope for a possible future QB, but absolutely no expectation for the present.

Honestly, I just don't get the Simms love fest. He has never been a very good QB. Even back in college, he was a bit of a choke artist, and Oklahoma would own him. He could dominate North Texas, but when faced w/ a team that could rush him, he would cumble. Sound familiar? If we had an awesome OL, then maybe, but then wouldn't Rex and Orton likely look better?

No, at this point, i simply don't see the point in adding Simms. We made the choice to ignore any QB options this offseason, so we may as well stick w/ that plan. Plus, I wonder how much of Rex and Orton's mediocre play thus far us due to the OL, and further wonder what QB we could add that wouldn't suffer the same w/ our OL issues.

We should be looking at ways to fix the OL. Do that, and who knows, maybe our QBs won't look quite as bad.

Is there a possiity they place Hanie on "IR" ?

I'm one who believes the Bear's do this to hide players, but I can't see us doing it here for two reasons:

1. If he's on the practice squad, he has to be good enough for another team to sign him to their 53 man roster. I can't see that happening. Maybe later when teams get desperate, but not now. So why not leave him on the practice squad?

2. We might need him. If Rex or Orton goes down, I want to have a legitimate #3 QB waiting in the wings. I have no idea if Hanie is that guy. If he's not, we need to bring in Simms or someone else. If he is, add him to the roster.

Not to mention Hanie would have to agree to being placed on IR.

I'm one who believes the Bear's do this to hide players, but I can't see us doing it here for two reasons:

1. If he's on the practice squad, he has to be good enough for another team to sign him to their 53 man roster. I can't see that happening. Maybe later when teams get desperate, but not now. So why not leave him on the practice squad?

2. We might need him. If Rex or Orton goes down, I want to have a legitimate #3 QB waiting in the wings. I have no idea if Hanie is that guy. If he's not, we need to bring in Simms or someone else. If he is, add him to the roster.

Not to mention Hanie would have to agree to being placed on IR.

He will never clear waivers to be put on PS. I will guarnatee you there is teams right now watching what happens with him. I they attempt to put him on PS, he will either be in Minniesota or Dallas. The Vikes for obvious reasons and Dallas because Jones always likes a Qb with moxie.

As for both kyle and Rex going down.... Call it over if that happens and salvage it with the kid finishing the season, I been through to many Vets on the Bears that have blown it totaly. No need to have a vet on this team IMHO. Stick with kid and groom him for next year as a number 2. Year three have him compete with Orton for starting. I think he has more talent then Simms , plain and simple.

Oh it's bad...

But I'm surprised you're wondering where the Hanie love-fest is coming from. Isn't it obvious? He drove the team to 2 scores and possibly could have had another if not for shoddy receiving and coaching. I'm sure you're well aware of the time honored Bears tradition of thinking the guy on the bench is better than the clown out there...

Bottom line, when your options are Rex and Kyle...your vision gets clouded and any silver lining looks like platinum.

Great point, it does seem the backup is the favorite in town always.