Bears scouting Simms

sprout

from cnnsi.com

Cowboys, Bears scouting Simms

For 20 minutes, he was a football player again. Not a rehab case. Not a disgruntled employee. Not a trading chip. Chris Simms had an entire field in front of him and was anxious to put the past behind. As auditions go, this was a keeper. Simms was effective by most standards, and pretty darned impressive when you consider it was his first extensive playing time in nearly two years. He completed 8 of 10 passes for 60 yards and a 91.7 QB rating on his three possessions, and he drove the Bucs to one touchdown and one missed field goal. For Simms, the results are probably incidental. If he continues to play well, maybe another team is willing to give up a fifth-round draft pick in a trade. (Among the teams with scouts in the press box Saturday night were the Bears and Cowboys, both of whom seem to have interest in Simms.)

That kinda surprises me in light of the showing Hanie had last Thursday. I do not see us carrying 4 QBs, I doubt Hanie would be left untouched if placed on our Practice Squad, I do not want to lose a promising QB prospect in Hanie who might develop in a few years into a solid starter. Man, I still like Simms, but this situation sucks. It could be they are looking but just in case of an injury situation. Looking around the league after just 1 preseason game, Injuries are mounting already.

That kinda surprises me in light of the showing Hanie had last Thursday. I do not see us carrying 4 QBs, I doubt Hanie would be left untouched if placed on our Practice Squad, I do not want to lose a promising QB prospect in Hanie who might develop in a few years into a solid starter. Man, I still like Simms, but this situation sucks. It could be they are looking but just in case of an injury situation. Looking around the league after just 1 preseason game, Injuries are mounting already.

Pix this doesn't surprise me since it was rumored that when he was in the draft the Bears had some interest. His name and Dave Ragone of Louisville were supposedly on the Bears' radar.

Pix this doesn't surprise me since it was rumored that when he was in the draft the Bears had some interest. His name and Dave Ragone of Louisville were supposedly on the Bears' radar.

What ever happened with Ragone? I really do not recall this guy.

name='lemonej' date='Aug 11 2008, 09:35 AM' post='43551']

I'm surprised as well. This far into camp and we're looking for a QB? I'm of the mindset that we need to pick our starter quickly and develop his confidence. Nothing worse for the psyche' than to be looking over both shoulders. Our offense needs to develop an identity uickly or this season is over before it starts.

I'm surprised as well. This far into camp and we're looking for a QB? I'm of the mindset that we need to pick our starter quickly and develop his confidence. Nothing worse for the psyche' than to be looking over both shoulders. Our offense needs to develop an identity uickly or this season is over before it starts.

Yeah, it seems a little late to bring in someone to be a starter. He would probably have to be 3rd string. Maybe they want someone with at least a little experience in case Grossman and Orton are just terrible.

I'd hope they would want to see more out of Hanie before they decide what to do with him. His mobility is refreshing though.

This is how its going to go down. We pick up Simms for some draft pick, then we put Hanie on our practice squad. Bucs pluck him from there and he goes onto be the next Marino. Thus keeping our crappy QB legacy alive.

The good thing is, if I remember right, if a team goes and claims a member of our practice squad, we have the right to keep him as long as we move him to our active roster at that point. Am I remembering this correctly?

That kinda surprises me in light of the showing Hanie had last Thursday. I do not see us carrying 4 QBs

I suppose one possibility is we release the loser between Grossman and Orton. Keep Hanie and have Simms as our "Vet Backup." That's a reach in my mind but it wouldn't surprise me too much. Although, with our O Line troubles, maybe 4 QB's is wise. :(

The good thing is, if I remember right, if a team goes and claims a member of our practice squad, we have the right to keep him as long as we move him to our active roster at that point. Am I remembering this correctly?

I don't think that's how it works Pix - the team that claims him must add him to THEIR active roster. There is no right of first refusal for the team that had him on their practice squad.

Not at this time, but on the roster for sure, Simms has shown again and again that he can not handle the big game. We already have that and dont need more. Giving up on hanie at this time would be foolish for a guy that can not win the game when it counts. I never liked Simms in college and dont like him as a bear. Especially if a former back up on the bears beats him out, Common man, look at the big picture. There will not be a quick fix to this. If Rex looses out to Kyle, Rex will be delt or released after this season, then hanie will be back up to Orton next year. thats my feeling.

We have a paid scouting staff on salary. What else DO they do but scout possible talent?

Just because they're looking at someone doesn't mean they want him - maybe they want to be doubly sure that they DON'T want him - you know "due diligence" and all that?

Angelo has been well known for, and pretty successful at filling out the depth of the roster. Maybe this is all about looking at Simms, Ragone and Hanie for 3rd string, and next years possible QB situation?

So let's not jump to conclusions just because we have guys there scouting. Until we have answers at the QB position, I think they should LOOK at everything.

I suppose one possibility is we release the loser between Grossman and Orton. Keep Hanie and have Simms as our "Vet Backup." That's a reach in my mind but it wouldn't surprise me too much. Although, with our O Line troubles, maybe 4 QB's is wise. :(

That's what I see happening. Let's face it, neither one has really been impressive and would it make sense to have them backing each other up. At that point your wishing they both go down to stop the insanity..

The only way I could see the Bears trading for him (or sigining him if he gets cut) would be if the Bears remove the plague taht is Rex Grossman and keeping Caleb Heine. It would make no sense to keep Rex, Kyle and pick Simms up. Even though I would rather drink gasoline whilst smoking a cigar, picking up Simms could at least remove the proverbial head of Rex (and replace it with the damaged spleen of Chris Simms).

I don't see us trading for him considering that it has been rumored that the Bucs are going to cut him anyways considering the Chucky don't like him and also keep in mind that the Bucs do have 5 QB's on there roster currently. They will probably only carry 3 just like most teams. But then again knowing how much Chucky likes to have lots of QB's I would not be surprised if he broke with 4.

We have a paid scouting staff on salary. What else DO they do but scout possible talent?

Just because they're looking at someone doesn't mean they want him - maybe they want to be doubly sure that they DON'T want him - you know "due diligence" and all that?

Angelo has been well known for, and pretty successful at filling out the depth of the roster. Maybe this is all about looking at Simms, Ragone and Hanie for 3rd string, and next years possible QB situation?

So let's not jump to conclusions just because we have guys there scouting. Until we have answers at the QB position, I think they should LOOK at everything.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking NYC. I'm shocked at how many people are pissed that we'd look at a QB.

What this tells me is we're not happy with Rex or Kyle, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. After several weeks of competition, they've both looked mediocre. That's not exactly the results we were hoping for. When you have a quarterback competition and neither quarterback stands out . . .

On Hanie: When will he help this team? Certainly not this year. Maybe next year??? I'm not sure where this love-fest for Hanie comes from. If he continues to look good in pre-season, I'll be happy as hell to jump on his band-wagon. Christ almighty, could we wait a few weeks before we annoit him the next Tony Romo?

I seriously doubt we'd give up a 5th round pick and take on his 1.5 million $$$ salary. But I'm happy as hell we're looking at all options.

Not at this time, but on the roster for sure, Simms has shown again and again that he can not handle the big game. We already have that and dont need more. Giving up on hanie at this time would be foolish for a guy that can not win the game when it counts. I never liked Simms in college and dont like him as a bear.

Especially if a former back up on the bears beats him out, Common man, look at the big picture.

Thank you, please No Simms...unless...it is part of the fix you mention...

Furthermore, Caleb Hanie should be given HALF the chance Rex has had and a true NFL QB would develop.

There will not be a quick fix to this. If Rex looses out to Kyle, Rex will be delt or released after this season, then hanie will be back up to Orton next year. thats my feeling.

...the fix...

Rex dealt for a starting quality O-Lineman.

Orton Starts. Caleb moves into #2 and the new vet QB competes with him for the #2 spot.

I'd like my fix quick, thank you. ;)

Sold!

Thank you, please No Simms...unless...it is part of the fix you mention...

Furthermore, Caleb Hanie should be given HALF the chance Rex has had and a true NFL QB would develop.

...the fix...

Rex dealt for a starting quality O-Lineman.

Orton Starts. Caleb moves into #2 and the new vet QB competes with him for the #2 spot.

I'd like my fix quick, thank you. ;)

Oh it's bad...

But I'm surprised you're wondering where the Hanie love-fest is coming from. Isn't it obvious? He drove the team to 2 scores and possibly could have had another if not for shoddy receiving and coaching. I'm sure you're well aware of the time honored Bears tradition of thinking the guy on the bench is better than the clown out there...

Bottom line, when your options are Rex and Kyle...your vision gets clouded and any silver lining looks like platinum.

What this tells me is we're not happy with Rex or Kyle, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. After several weeks of competition, they've both looked mediocre. That's not exactly the results we were hoping for. When you have a quarterback competition and neither quarterback stands out . . .

On Hanie: When will he help this team? Certainly not this year. Maybe next year??? I'm not sure where this love-fest for Hanie comes from. If he continues to look good in pre-season, I'll be happy as hell to jump on his band-wagon. Christ almighty, could we wait a few weeks before we annoit him the next Tony Romo?

I seriously doubt we'd give up a 5th round pick and take on his 1.5 million $$$ salary. But I'm happy as hell we're looking at all options.