Mariotti on Angelo

madlithuanian

I would ask you this. When there is breaking news, is it our local papers that usually break the news, or do they simply repeat what others break?

Fox Sports and ESPN generally break everything sports-wise. So you're right. But that doesn't really apply to Mariotti. The guy never got off his ass once in his life to get anywhere he might get some inside information. He feared going into clubhouses and basically used quotes others got to build his stories around. In other words, he's not going to go somewhere because they're breaking stories.

That said, he's right, newspapers are dying. Sam Zell is getting his ass kicked on this Tribune purchase. Couldn't happen to a "nicer" guy. If you broke Sam Zell open, demons would fly out.

I don't know where Jay will end up but I'm sure I'll continue to ignore him there too.

I do think Fox breaks a lot, but dang if Florio's PFT doesn't break a ton. Granted, the shoot and miss...but their track record isn't nearly as bad as soom would think.

Fox Sports and ESPN generally break everything sports-wise. So you're right. But that doesn't really apply to Mariotti. The guy never got off his ass once in his life to get anywhere he might get some inside information. He feared going into clubhouses and basically used quotes others got to build his stories around. In other words, he's not going to go somewhere because they're breaking stories.

That said, he's right, newspapers are dying. Sam Zell is getting his ass kicked on this Tribune purchase. Couldn't happen to a "nicer" guy. If you broke Sam Zell open, demons would fly out.

I don't know where Jay will end up but I'm sure I'll continue to ignore him there too.

I do think Fox breaks a lot, but dang if Florio's PFT doesn't break a ton. Granted, the shoot and miss...but their track record isn't nearly as bad as soom would think.

Agreed. PFT is a rumor mill, and as such, not held to the same standard as some like ESPN or Fox, yet at the same time, quite a lot of what you put out there does in fact come true. PFT may have once been a garbage site that was simply fun to read the rumors on, but they have really grown and developed. More and more players, coaches and even GMs have referenced their sites. Peter King and other established writers reference their site as well. Further, Florio now also works as a writer for Sportingnews and gets numerous appearances on various sports radio talk shows.

Not everything they put out there proves true. They are a rumor mill. But I think they have gained a level of credibility few credit them for. Also, I give them credit for owning up to mistakes, which many fail to do.

So true.

I think he was bashed about quite a bit a few years back, but I am hearing him on the Dan Patrick show and many other national ones as well.

I think I actually first heard him on the Tom Leykis show in LA. I started going to his site immediately afterwards.

Plus, I think he has a slight bias agasint Brett Favre! I just love that!