Mariotti on Angelo

madlithuanian

Like it or not, unfortunately he's viewed nationally as the voice of Chicago sports... Like most sports writers these days, he's inflamatory and writes things that will get a rise out of people. I prefer Mulligan much more.

On "Around the Horn", at least with him there, they have a greater chance of bringing up something related to the Bears.

I usually disagree with him, but even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

I actually agree with you. Mariotti is a tool and I don't read his crap.

Peace :dabears

A breath of fresh air. Mariotti is gone from the Sun-Times. :headbang

Huh? Why did you say he's gone from the Sun-Times when he's not? He was in there this morning.

I'd be happy as hell if he was gone. All his damn articles are the same. There almost like a Mad-Libs:

" _________ is a joke. Can you believe that ________ did this? Doesn't Chicago deserve better? How long is _______ going to put up with this??? It's embarrassing. What we need to do is ___________________________" Maybe then ______________ "

The end.

Huh? Why did you say he's gone from the Sun-Times when he's not? He was in there this morning.

I'd be happy as hell if he was gone. All his damn articles are the same. There almost like a Mad-Libs:

" _________ is a joke. Can you believe that ________ did this? Doesn't Chicago deserve better? How long is _______ going to put up with this??? It's embarrassing. What we need to do is ___________________________" Maybe then ______________ "

The end.

He left today. See the attached article.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/mi...en_bears_a.html

The end.

Um, he's gone bud.

He left today. See the attached article.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/mi...en_bears_a.html

Yes!!! Thanks for that! I'd went to the Sun Times Sports Pages and didn't find anything. (Granted I didn't look that hard.)

Either way, he was a broken record. "What will Mariotti bitch about today?" Who cares.

Mike Mulligan's great. Hopefully this will pave the way for someone who actually gives a damn about Chicago sports.

On a side note, I'm not nearly as happy about this as I continue to be about Mike North getting the boot. It's very easy to ignore a newspaper article. If you spend 30 minutes in your car every morning and want sport's news, your pretty much at the mercy of whatever idiot bastard they put on.

Like Mariotti or not, he's got some very good points in this article.

1)

What happened is that the Bears fell in love with Williams, who filled a desperate need, while underplaying the possibility that a herniated disc could burn them. Sure enough, they were scorched on the second day of training camp, when Williams suffered a new injury to the same disc. It led to surgery that will sideline him for most, if not all, of his first season. Granted, anyone who suggests Angelo wasn't aware of the injury isn't being fair. On draft day, he pointed out that the team's medical staff examined the back ``once, twice and a third time'' -- I love it when he borrows from old Lionel Richie songs. But where Angelo blew it is when he shrugged off those three examinations as if they were frivolous when, in fact, the necessity of three exams only screamed potential trouble.

Aside from the Lionel Richie thing, I don't see where this is wrong.

2) Point is, Angelo never has manufactured enough credibility as a drafter (on offense) to allow himself the benefit of doubt to gamble. (insertion mine)

Once again, this is dead on. Angelo has a horrible record of drafting offense while here.

Yes!!! Thanks for that! I'd went to the Sun Times Sports Pages and didn't find anything. (Granted I didn't look that hard.)

Either way, he was a broken record. "What will Mariotti bitch about today?" Who cares.

Mike Mulligan's great. Hopefully this will pave the way for someone who actually gives a damn about Chicago sports.

On a side note, I'm not nearly as happy about this as I continue to be about Mike North getting the boot. It's very easy to ignore a newspaper article. If you spend 30 minutes in your car every morning and want sport's news, your pretty much at the mercy of whatever idiot bastard they put on.

Mulligan is my favorite analyst on the SCORE. Further, I also enjoy his articles in tbe Sun Times. Brad Biggs and him do a much better job covering the Bears than the Trib IMO.

Mariotti v Skip Bayless in a cage death match.

Now that would be something to pay for.

The reality is, both had a job of trying to incite bear fans. Some of their articles may have made legit points, but due to their history, it doesn't matter as they ruined their credibility already.

I agree w/ much of what he said, but would never (a) quote him or (B) take his articles seriously. Some here have made the same points. Even if he writes an article supporting my statements, it wouldn't matter to me. He simply has no cred, and is irrelevant.

name='nfoligno' date='Aug 26 2008, 10:47 PM' post='45130']

Mariotti v Skip Bayless in a cage death match.

Now that would be something to pay for.

The reality is, both had a job of trying to incite bear fans. Some of their articles may have made legit points, but due to their history, it doesn't matter as they ruined their credibility already.

I agree w/ much of what he said, but would never (a) quote him or (B) take his articles seriously. Some here have made the same points. Even if he writes an article supporting my statements, it wouldn't matter to me. He simply has no cred, and is irrelevant.

Mariotti has no credibility with me, as he has nothing positive to write - ever. However, he did find my sarcastic side on this one. I agree, as well with most of of what he said.

His leaving is a good omen for this upcoming season!

Though it's partially because I purposely skipped over his stuff about half the time, still, he either stopped writing much about the Bears or they continued segregating his articles from the main group on the website because this past year I've rarely come across him writin about the Bears...less than once a week for sure. Now it'll go from

When Marriotti showed up here from the Detroit Free Press he basically was under the radar until he wrote a colunm about Michael Jordon not accompanying the Bulls on their visit to the White House because of other committments. Since that article he has been the self proclaimed voice of the Chicago fan when most of us knew he was a transplant with stops in Ohio and Detroit before coming to the Sun Times.

My problem with Marriotti is his articles were basically put together by his researchers since he was constantly trying to get into electronic media with failed radio shows on WMVP(Now ESPN Radio) and Sporting News Radio.If there is one thing you can give Mike North credit for it was his show that Marriotti was constantly trying to go up against and usually North's ratings crushed Marriotti's.So while he was pursuing all these other interests his colunms started to lose more credibilty with me because with all the production meetings involved in these various shows how could he possibly have the time to actually watch any of Chicago's sporting events.Give him credit for having a good research staff but also recognize the fact that he couldn't be in several places at one time.

The best thing about Marriotti's departure is there is a guy at work who would read his colunms daily and believed every word he said and now this guy won't be able talk sport's without those colunms to quote.

He exits like the jerk he is.

http://cbs2chicago.com/sports/jay.mariotti...s.2.803995.html

Good riddance!

Mariotti said, "To showcase your work ... you need a stellar Web site and if a newspaper doesn't have that, you can't be stuck in the 20th century with your old newspaper.''

How many people on here go to chicagosuntimes.com EVERY DAY. I know I do. And chicagosports.com. (The Tribune site.) On top of that, I subscribe to the local paper where I live the Peoria Journal Star. Not exactly top-notch, but I enjoy reading it every morning.

What the hell's Mariotti talking about?

He exits like the jerk he is.

http://cbs2chicago.com/sports/jay.mariotti...s.2.803995.html

Good riddance!

Mariotti said, "To showcase your work ... you need a stellar Web site and if a newspaper doesn't have that, you can't be stuck in the 20th century with your old newspaper.''

How many people on here go to chicagosuntimes.com EVERY DAY. I know I do. And chicagosports.com. (The Tribune site.) On top of that, I subscribe to the local paper where I live the Peoria Journal Star. Not exactly top-notch, but I enjoy reading it every morning.

I will say this. I think the Trib used to be far better online than they are now. Particularly in camp, the Trib used to be the best. Their message board site also used to be upper tier. Then, as I recall, they drastically reduced their budget for online services (at least that was the explanation given). Now they are okay, but not anything great.

I think the Sun Times is better, but elite?

I would ask you this. When there is breaking news, is it our local papers that usually break the news, or do they simply repeat what others break?