16 already notified of release

GrizzlyBear

Other players expected to be released by the Saturday deadline include guards Tyler Reed and Ryan Poles, tackle Cody Balogh and defensive end Nick Osborn. The Bears need to shave 21 players to get down to 53 before trying to assemble their practice squad. Sources said 16 had been informed they would be gone

Only 5 left, wonder who and what position got slammed.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,4979535.story

Don't let Hanie go. Guy has shown more promise in a short time than any other QB we've had in here. I know he's far from ready to start but I think he can at least be a good #2 QB for us, and possibly more. I am not convinced either Orton or Grossman will be the future starter for us. Clearly Grossman is already out of the equation. If Orton doesn't play that well this season he's out too. He might stick around next year to be our #2. Then in Hanie's 3rd year he takes over as #2 and we go with whoever we get in 2009 via draft/FA as the starter.

Yea, I just don't get the logic in cutting Hanie. I have not bought into the Hanie mania. I like numerous things I have seen, but am not going over-board.

At the same time, he has shown something. For a team absolutely desperate at the position, if you have a guy who has shown something, why not hold on to him and see.

I know many would argue it isn't likely he would be grabbed from our practice squad, but that is a chance. For a guy who has shown "something" at a position we have suched at for years, is it worth the risk.

Said it before and wil again. Consider the Vegas quote. Only gamble w/ what you are willing to lose.

Don't let Hanie go. Guy has shown more promise in a short time than any other QB we've had in here. I know he's far from ready to start but I think he can at least be a good #2 QB for us, and possibly more. I am not convinced either Orton or Grossman will be the future starter for us. Clearly Grossman is already out of the equation. If Orton doesn't play that well this season he's out too. He might stick around next year to be our #2. Then in Hanie's 3rd year he takes over as #2 and we go with whoever we get in 2009 via draft/FA as the starter.

Yea, I just don't get the logic in cutting Hanie. I have not bought into the Hanie mania. I like numerous things I have seen, but am not going over-board.

At the same time, he has shown something. For a team absolutely desperate at the position, if you have a guy who has shown something, why not hold on to him and see.

I know many would argue it isn't likely he would be grabbed from our practice squad, but that is a chance. For a guy who has shown "something" at a position we have suched at for years, is it worth the risk.

Said it before and wil again. Consider the Vegas quote. Only gamble w/ what you are willing to lose.

I'd be willing to lose him. If someone is willing to sign him to their 53 man roster, A BEARS QB WHO LOOKED GOOD AGAINST SCRUBS, I could live with that.

I suspect they'll keep him, however.

As opposed to Bears QBs who look like scrubs?

Teams across the league will be cutting proven vets. Tampa has 5 QB's on their roster right now, if not more. Culpepper is still out there. Several others. What makes anyone think some team somewhere is going to jump on a BEARS QB who hasn't proven a thing?

Hell, I'm not even convinced we won't just cut the guy and sign a proven guy within the first week or two of the season. Depends on who might be available.

These Haniacs are pathetic. (Not saying you're one of them, necessarily.)

Again, that said, I still think they'll keep him for now on their roster. I doubt there's real pressure from elsewhere on the roster that we can't keep three QB's.

I wish you were right- I just don't see us carrying 3 QBs.

Teams across the league will be cutting proven vets. Tampa has 5 QB's on their roster right now, if not more. Culpepper is still out there. Several others. What makes anyone think some team somewhere is going to jump on a BEARS QB who hasn't proven a thing?

Hell, I'm not even convinced we won't just cut the guy and sign a proven guy within the first week or two of the season. Depends on who might be available.

These Haniacs are pathetic. (Not saying you're one of them, necessarily.)

Again, that said, I still think they'll keep him for now on their roster. I doubt there's real pressure from elsewhere on the roster that we can't keep three QB's.

Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Haniemania runs wild on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, lets look what happend to Vikes when trying to sneak a kid to the PS. He was snatched up right away. A 3rd string that is young and can learn is exactly what every team wants. Having Grossman as a back up is a good insurance policy. As Jamie Dukes said, "having a Qb that knows how to win as a back up is important" I tend to agree.

For a 3rd string QB, Hanie is sure getting alot of hype here.

Why shouldn't he be getting that hype? He was clearly our best looking QB in pre-season, whether or not it was against a bunch of guys who are going to get cut. He threw the ball well, had nice zip on his throws, and had poise. He also scrambled pretty well, and didn't throw into 17 guys, like your boy.

Let's compare him to the golden boy from last years draft:

Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD % INT INT % Long Sck Sack/Lost Rating

Joe Flacco 67 35 284 52.2 4.2 1 1.5 0 0.0 30 6 25 68.3

WK OPP RESULT Passing Rushing Fumbles

Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost

2 @ SEA 5 9 55.6 46 5.1 1 1 0 0 67.1 1 1 1.0 0 -- --

3 SF 3 7 42.9 59 8.4 1 0 1 8 112.5 -- -- -- -- -- --

4 @ CLE 12 17 70.6 115 6.8 0 1 0 0 64.6 1 15 15.0 0 -- --