A Reassuring Article

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,104485

Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:56 pm EDT

Love/Hate: Chicago Bears

By MJD

As we continue gathering steam towards the regular season, Shutdown Corner touches on all 32 teams, outlining reasons to love and/or hate them. Today, the Chicago Bears.

Love the Bears:

This team could set records. Since adopting a 16-game schedule, the record for fewest points scored in a season is held by the 1992 Seahawks with 140, averaging 8.75 points per game. This Bears team could give chase. Let's break it down.

At quarterback, we're likely to see both Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton, who I think could accurately be described as a modern-day Stan Gelbaugh and Kelly Stouffer. I'd call that a wash. At running back, the Seahawks had Chris Warren (1,017 yards) and John L. Williams, who caught 74 balls for 556 yards from the fullback position. I'll take that duo over rookie Matt Forte. I'll give the Bears the advantage at receiver, though, with Marty Booker, Brandon Lloyd, Rashied Davis, and Devin Hester, over the Seahawks duo of Lewis Clark and Tommy Kane.

I can't really call the offensive lines. According to Football Outsiders, the Bears O-line ranked 30th in the league in rushing last year, and 18th in passing. That's not very good, but the Seahawks line gave up an astounding 67 sacks in 1992.

Ultimately, I don't think the Bears will break that record. Their defense will force enough turnovers, create good field position, and score enough points on their own to keep them out of the record books. But we will be keeping an eye on it.

Hate the Bears:

Because if by some miracle this team is successful, there could be devastating consequences. The NFL is a league of copycats. If the impossible happens, the rest of the NFC implodes, and the Bears get to the Super Bowl, everyone will get the idea that offense isn't necessary for success. A league where everyone thinks defense first isn't good for anybody, and it does seem to happen cyclically in the NFL.

Devin Hester. Hester should be something to love about the Bears, right? Well, yes and no. On one hand, he's maybe the most dynamic and explosive talent in the league, but on the other hand, he also dramatically highlights everything else that's wrong with the team. I like watching him take one to the house as much as anybody, but I hate thinking afterwards, "It's a shame that he's the Bears entire offense." And if everyone starts punting the ball out of bounds (and they absolutely should), Bears games could become positively grim.

Like I said... :unsure:

But seriously, like I believe nfo said in a different thread (duh), we already tried to build the defense from the ground up with Brown and Urlacher. It worked, but it never got us a world title. Now, after this year, try to build the offense from the ground up, and it starts with QB.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,104485

Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:56 pm EDT

Love/Hate: Chicago Bears

By MJD

As we continue gathering steam towards the regular season, Shutdown Corner touches on all 32 teams, outlining reasons to love and/or hate them. Today, the Chicago Bears.

Love the Bears:

This team could set records. Since adopting a 16-game schedule, the record for fewest points scored in a season is held by the 1992 Seahawks with 140, averaging 8.75 points per game. This Bears team could give chase. Let's break it down.

At quarterback, we're likely to see both Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton, who I think could accurately be described as a modern-day Stan Gelbaugh and Kelly Stouffer. I'd call that a wash. At running back, the Seahawks had Chris Warren (1,017 yards) and John L. Williams, who caught 74 balls for 556 yards from the fullback position. I'll take that duo over rookie Matt Forte. I'll give the Bears the advantage at receiver, though, with Marty Booker, Brandon Lloyd, Rashied Davis, and Devin Hester, over the Seahawks duo of Lewis Clark and Tommy Kane.

I can't really call the offensive lines. According to Football Outsiders, the Bears O-line ranked 30th in the league in rushing last year, and 18th in passing. That's not very good, but the Seahawks line gave up an astounding 67 sacks in 1992.

Ultimately, I don't think the Bears will break that record. Their defense will force enough turnovers, create good field position, and score enough points on their own to keep them out of the record books. But we will be keeping an eye on it.

Hate the Bears:

Because if by some miracle this team is successful, there could be devastating consequences. The NFL is a league of copycats. If the impossible happens, the rest of the NFC implodes, and the Bears get to the Super Bowl, everyone will get the idea that offense isn't necessary for success. A league where everyone thinks defense first isn't good for anybody, and it does seem to happen cyclically in the NFL.

Devin Hester. Hester should be something to love about the Bears, right? Well, yes and no. On one hand, he's maybe the most dynamic and explosive talent in the league, but on the other hand, he also dramatically highlights everything else that's wrong with the team. I like watching him take one to the house as much as anybody, but I hate thinking afterwards, "It's a shame that he's the Bears entire offense." And if everyone starts punting the ball out of bounds (and they absolutely should), Bears games could become positively grim.

That guy is stupid and just trying to fill the pages because he has nothing to write about. Hell in pre-season we averaged 23 points a game well above the 8.75 he talked about.

Now to counter what he said we may now have Manning or brady at QB but we have two QB' that are better than the guys he mentioned...and who was never Stan Gelbaugh and Kelly Stouffer? As far as the RB postion we have a question yes, but Forte and Jones will make a difference on this team more so than Benson did last year. We have more cut back ability, better vision and speed. How throw in lil lightin Wolfe as a third option and we are better. "I 'll give the Bears the advantage at receiver, though, with Marty Booker, Brandon Lloyd, Rashied Davis, and Devin Hester, over the Seahawks duo of Lewis Clark and Tommy Kane" he has to and they will perform this year nothing else needs to be said about that.

Did he say anything about our TE'S...I guess not. As a group Clak,Olsen & Davis will be hard to defend and even more so once we get them in the red zone with the height mismatches they will cause. Our line will come togeter...it's still a work in progress, but they have done it before and can do it again.

Hester will be hester and if they don't kick to him then we get good field position anyway, but if they do try to kick it short look out for Manning and Davis up close to do some damage.

The defense is going to be bad in their old form and will stay the course and led this team again Brown and Urlacher will see to that.

Like I said... :unsure:

But seriously, like I believe nfo said in a different thread (duh), we already tried to build the defense from the ground up with Brown and Urlacher. It worked, but it never got us a world title. Now, after this year, try to build the offense from the ground up, and it starts with QB.

Of course, I'd say it starts with an OL. The best QB in the world behind a garbage OL will just end up on his ass a lot. A great OL and a decent to good QB? That's a recipe for success.

Of course, I'd say it starts with an OL. The best QB in the world behind a garbage OL will just end up on his ass a lot. A great OL and a decent to good QB? That's a recipe for success.

Why are we all of a sudden counting Williams off? He has an injury, but the chances, according to doctors, are good that he'll be fine for next year. To draft an OT in the 1st round for 2 straight drafts, one of which is a top 15 and one of which is a top 5 (maybe a 3 or 2) pick is ridiculous. Maybe we should go out and sign, forgetting the cost, a young yet proven OT. This way, we can draft a QB, and we have the main ingredients in place. From there, draft another WR to go with Hester and Bennett for the future.

Because the Bears do not seem to be proactive other than in re-signing our own...

Why are we all of a sudden counting Williams off? He has an injury, but the chances, according to doctors, are good that he'll be fine for next year. To draft an OT in the 1st round for 2 straight drafts, one of which is a top 15 and one of which is a top 5 (maybe a 3 or 2) pick is ridiculous. Maybe we should go out and sign, forgetting the cost, a young yet proven OT. This way, we can draft a QB, and we have the main ingredients in place. From there, draft another WR to go with Hester and Bennett for the future.

Because the Bears do not seem to be proactive other than in re-signing our own...

The way I see it- Mark Tauscher (a current Packer) and Jordan Gross (a current Panther) are both UFA OTs after this season. Sign one of them, give them more then what they're worth, and then go draft a QB.

Also, Mike Goff (a current Charger) is an UFA OG after the year, so if we can't land Gross OR Tauscher, this wouldn't be a bad option C.

I don't think we have any guys currently on the team that we need to re-new their contracts (besides Grossman), so I think we're pretty set there, although I could be wrong.

The way I see it- Mark Tauscher (a current Packer) and Jordan Gross (a current Panther) are both UFA OTs after this season. Sign one of them, give them more then what they're worth, and then go draft a QB.

Also, Mike Goff (a current Charger) is an UFA OG after the year, so if we can't land Gross OR Tauscher, this wouldn't be a bad option C.

I don't think we have any guys currently on the team that we need to re-new their contracts (besides Grossman), so I think we're pretty set there, although I could be wrong.

I doont know of anyone who we need to worry about resigning unless we want to keep KJ or Grossman. Hopefully we free up some space after this season and can maybe go after some o line help like you said and then maybe even someone like Roy Williams. Then, we can confidently draft a QB.

I doont know of anyone who we need to worry about resigning unless we want to keep KJ or Grossman. Hopefully we free up some space after this season and can maybe go after some o line help like you said and then maybe even someone like Roy Williams. Then, we can confidently draft a QB.

I'd love to get Williams but many people on here will probably just tell you he's a cancer and all that garbage. Whoever we draft as a QB (Stafford, etc), and with a FA OT (Gross, Tauscher, Goff, etc.) to go with C. Williams along with Forte and R. Williams is a start toward building a nice offense.

Agreed. I thought we should have paid Faneca, brought in Michael Turner and then would have had a far freer draft... I love Forte, so maybe things work out for the best. But we could have landed about any player at QB, OL or WR...or still could have Forte even if we passed on Turner. I just see those picks at 1 and 2 could have been something better had we not had so many holes that could have been filled some in FA.

Please don't get me going on Grossman...barring something miraculous, he needs to find a new home.

I'd love to get Williams but many people on here will probably just tell you he's a cancer and all that garbage. Whoever we draft as a QB (Stafford, etc), and with a FA OT (Gross, Tauscher, Goff, etc.) to go with C. Williams along with Forte and R. Williams is a start toward building a nice offense.

Its pointless for us to keep drafting WRs and signing veteran career number 2 and 3 WRs. We need the number one we thought we were getting when we signed Moose and the only way to do it is free agency. Roy will more than likely be the only WR of that caliber available and I wouldnt doubt he would like to stick it to the Lions.

Its pointless for us to keep drafting WRs and signing veteran career number 2 and 3 WRs. We need the number one we thought we were getting when we signed Moose and the only way to do it is free agency. Roy will more than likely be the only WR of that caliber available and I wouldnt doubt he would like to stick it to the Lions.

So....we agree? ;)