Still not sold on Orton

KiLoc69

I know running on 3 and 6 happens, but that's usually when teams are backed up and don't want to risk a pick 6 or they need a couple of extra yards for punting room. You are not gonna tell me offensive coordinators do this with confidence they will pick up a first down. I think it's pretty obvious that being on the 50 yard line, we got conservative and figured we'd play the field position game. Luckily it worked out and we were able to lengthen the leash a little bit, but not totally until we took a 2 possesion lead.

Well, you pointed out how we ran on 3rd and long "more than once", but one of those times were due to the "backed up and don't want a pick 6" you mention yourself. While you seem to now allow that as an exception, you didn't appear to make any such exception before when calling Turner out for the playcall.

Maybe it was obvious, but I do not agree it is such a sure thing. You say you can't be convinced. Fine. But I have seen enough it done. Again, that doesn't mean it is the norm, but doesn't mean it simply means we lack confidence in our QB. Sometimes you simply see the defense play in such a way that you just know you have a chance for a big ground gain.

As for the passing on 3rd and short the first couple of times, those are common situations to run OR pass so the analogy doesn't hold up to running on 3rd and 6 from the 50 in the 1st qrtr. I don't think anyone lacks confidence in Kyle being accurate and making good decisions under 5 yards. The pass on 3rd and 1, we had momentum and a relatively comfortable lead judging by the game flow at the time so the decision to take a shot at that point was not one i'd call Super Ballsy, even though I liked the call.

Sorry, but no way. Normally, if we see our OC call for a pass play on 3rd and 1, that OC gets bashed and we hear comment after comment about how we have no confidence in our OL or RB to pickup one measly yard. In fact, I would argue this is more close to your argument then the situation you provide. Picking up a 1st down on 3rd and 6 is far from a sure thing, whether you pass or run. Just because the QB drops back w/ the ball, doesn't mean we pickup the 1st down. On the other hand, would we not absolutely expect our RB to get the 1st down on 3rd and 1.

So, since a RB getting the 1st down on 3rd and 1 is such a high level of expectation, if we don't do it, I think that would more likely justify the argument you throw out about lacking confidence. On the other hand, as 3rd and 6 is not even a 50/50 thing, doing something unexpected just doesn't seem like a lack of confidence in the QB.

Again, I'm not knocking Orton, I like what HE did very much. I'm not even completely knocking Turner, I like how we opened it up more in the second half. My fear is that in future games our running attack might not be as good as sunday's and we may hold Kyle's leash too tight until it's too late for him to do anything about it.

I get that you are questioning Turner more so than Orton, and I am not some huge Turner fan, so it isn't like I want to defend him myself. Yet at the same time, I simply disagree w/ your assumptions and logic to get there.

I do agree there will be times we need Orton to open it up more, but (a) I think the other day had more to do w/ how well our run game was working, rather than a confidence issue and (B) I think we are going to see more and more of Orton "opening it up" as we go on.

I do agree there will be times we need Orton to open it up more, but (a) I think the other day had more to do w/ how well our run game was working, rather than a confidence issue and (B) I think we are going to see more and more of Orton "opening it up" as we go on.

I hope you're right andf I hope he can handle an expanded role. If he can, I don't see why we can't win the division. Minny and the Lions can have all the talent in the world but still have losing encoded in their DNA, and we've owned the Pack since Lovie's been here.

How the Bears fared on third down Sunday against the Colts:

Distance Run or pass Result

3rd-and-8 Pass Inc.

3rd-and-6 Run 50 TD

3rd-and-1 Run 7

3rd-and-5 Run 0

3rd-and-1 Run 2

3rd-and-6 Pass 20

3rd-and-12 Pass 10

3rd-and-15 Pass 29

3rd-and-8 Run 5

3rd-and-2 Pass 7

3rd-and-1 Run 2

3rd-and-2 Run 2

3rd-and-6 Pass -6 (sack)

3rd-and-2 Pass 4

3rd-and-1 Pass 26

3rd-and-11 Run 4

How the Bears fared on third down Sunday against the Colts:

Distance Run or pass Result

3rd-and-8 Pass Inc.

3rd-and-6 Run 50 TD

3rd-and-1 Run 7

3rd-and-5 Run 0

3rd-and-1 Run 2

3rd-and-6 Pass 20

3rd-and-12 Pass 10

3rd-and-15 Pass 29

3rd-and-8 Run 5

3rd-and-2 Pass 7

3rd-and-1 Run 2

3rd-and-2 Run 2

3rd-and-6 Pass -6 (sack)

3rd-and-2 Pass 4

3rd-and-1 Pass 26

3rd-and-11 Run 4

63% wins everytime, doesn't it.

I hope you're right andf I hope he can handle an expanded role. If he can, I don't see why we can't win the division. Minny and the Lions can have all the talent in the world but still have losing encoded in their DNA, and we've owned the Pack since Lovie's been here.

Ortons ability to open it up would help, but IMHO, the keys are still (a) OL and (B) defense.

If the OL can play well, I don't think Orton will have to sling to a ton. We can establish a run game and not have to take a ton of downfield gambles.

And the D is an equal, or greater, key. Was the Indy game the rule or the exception. If it was the rule, then I doubt Orton will be asked to do too much this year. If it was the exception, he may have to.