The Bears HAVE to stop that stupid sideways pass!

sussnk

The Bears just HAVE to get away from that quick 20 yard sideways pass to a wide receiver right after the snap. I don't know what this play is called but it needs to be SCRAPPED!!!!!! I hate it. How many times did Carolina almost pick that thing. The Bears get 5 yards TOPS on that thing....stupid.

I think the play in general is not a bad one. But it can't be used too often, or DBs will begin to jump on it, as they did in Carolina.

Key for this play to work is a DB playing off the LOS. That is why these quick plays often work against us. Our DBs are usually dropping 5-7 yards off the LOS before the snap, and immediately back-peddling once the ball is snapped. When this happens, a quick strike to the WR finds him w/ space to make a move. He needs only beat one man to find open field.

Unfortunately, most often our WRs face DBs standing on the LOS, due to a lack of respect, thus it is harder for our WRs to make a play or gain YAC.

The best part of this play is, when it works, it can freeze the LBs and prevent them from attacking the inside to aggressively. But until our WRs get enough respect to find DBs playing back, as we do, I agree it is not a play we should use often.

The Bears just HAVE to get away from that quick 20 yard sideways pass to a wide receiver right after the snap. I don't know what this play is called but it needs to be SCRAPPED!!!!!! I hate it. How many times did Carolina almost pick that thing. The Bears get 5 yards TOPS on that thing....stupid.

I think the play in general is not a bad one. But it can't be used too often, or DBs will begin to jump on it, as they did in Carolina.

Key for this play to work is a DB playing off the LOS. That is why these quick plays often work against us. Our DBs are usually dropping 5-7 yards off the LOS before the snap, and immediately back-peddling once the ball is snapped. When this happens, a quick strike to the WR finds him w/ space to make a move. He needs only beat one man to find open field.

Unfortunately, most often our WRs face DBs standing on the LOS, due to a lack of respect, thus it is harder for our WRs to make a play or gain YAC.

The best part of this play is, when it works, it can freeze the LBs and prevent them from attacking the inside to aggressively. But until our WRs get enough respect to find DBs playing back, as we do, I agree it is not a play we should use often.

Agree. The thought process is to take advantage of the corners bailing right away to a deep zone. We used it early in the game and its the same as a 5 yard run or so. Its supposed to make the corners come up so then you can burn them deep. Maybe with a hitch and go where they pump fake the quick look and go by a pressing DB.

Its made to look worse than it is when our brainy, game manager checks to it in a critical situation where the defense is stacked and the DB are pressing to take away the short ball. What is supposed to happen when the corners are pressing is the QB pump fakes it and the receiver goes right by.

It'd work brilliantly if we lined up Olsen/Clark up next to Hester, had Hester catch it behind the TE, and by that time the OL can get there and Hester can get major yardage out of it.

So you want to line up Olsen next to Hester and run that?

lol That wouldn't be too obvious to an NFL defense.

And why would the OL run over there?

And if you haven't noticed over the past year or so they have been running that play to Hester, but defenses have been "spying" Hester so usually he gets crushed after 2-3 yrds.

And if you haven't noticed over the past year or so they have been running that play to Hester, but defenses have been "spying" Hester so usually he gets crushed after 2-3 yrds.

Yeah, like that play last year vs New Orleans when he ran for about 25 yards. :rolleyes:

Not right next to him, dope, but next to the RT or RT, then when Hester comes at Orton, have Olsen slide over and block. It wasn't too difficult to understand, now was it?

Its called a screen pass.

Actually, I think we're TRYING to run a WR Screen all those times it's a "quick pass", but I just don't think we have a clue out there.

No we are not. A WR screen would entail the WR coming towards the Oline as they try to get in front of the WR. The play we are talking about is the one where the WR stands there catches a "quick" pass and trys to shake the CB. There is a difference.

And BTW thanks for the personal attack with the "dope" thing. I had no idea what you were trying to say. You said put Olsen next to Hester and run a quick. To me that means they stand split out next to each other and Olsen blocks for Hester. Its not unheard of. June Jones ran a ton of "stacked" receivers where they would stand right behind each other, sometimes three and four deep, at Hawaii.

No we are not. A WR screen would entail the WR coming towards the Oline as they try to get in front of the WR. The play we are talking about is the one where the WR stands there catches a "quick" pass and trys to shake the CB. There is a difference.

And BTW thanks for the personal attack with the "dope" thing. I had no idea what you were trying to say. You said put Olsen next to Hester and run a quick. To me that means they stand split out next to each other and Olsen blocks for Hester. Its not unheard of. June Jones ran a ton of "stacked" receivers where they would stand right behind each other, sometimes three and four deep, at Hawaii.

Seeing as if how we can't even run a play correctly when Hester's on the field it seems, I'd highly doubt we'd stack up WRs behind each other and go from there.