So we pay big money for the guys and get this...?

Bears4Ever_34

Tommie Harris is done as far as I'm concerned. He's stealing money. He hasn't done anything since the beginning of the 2006 season. Devin Hester is going to get large sums of money for basically being what he is best at "A super freak returner". He doesn't know how to play WR yet he's getting paid like he should be a T.O.

I've always said the Bears took a big chance on Hester. He doesn't deserve that type of money until he proves he could be a legit WR. I don't personally think he has the smarts to do it and I would have traded him for 2 1st round picks in a heart-beat. People forget that while Hester is a special returnman the Bears have had a good returning game for a few years before Devin (McQuarters & Vasher were both very good).

I've always said the Bears took a big chance on Hester. He doesn't deserve that type of money until he proves he could be a legit WR. I don't personally think he has the smarts to do it and I would have traded him for 2 1st round picks in a heart-beat. People forget that while Hester is a special returnman the Bears have had a good returning game for a few years before Devin (McQuarters & Vasher were both very good).

Leon Johnson - yuk

Bobby Wade - did alright

R.W. McQuarters - did pretty good

Jerry Azumah - pretty good also

Nathan Vasher - not bad

I don't think I'd like to see that trade, especially with JA 1st RD draft history. Hester for a starting OL, then I might consider it.

I dont think we could have gotten 1 first rounder let alone 2. Who wouldnt take that?

Leon Johnson - yuk

Bobby Wade - did alright

R.W. McQuarters - did pretty good

Jerry Azumah - pretty good also

Nathan Vasher - not bad

I don't think I'd like to see that trade, especially with JA 1st RD draft history. Hester for a starting OL, then I might consider it.

Azumah was an awesome kick-returner. IIRC, he was widely considered the 2nd best return man in the league during his tenure. Vasher was a premiere punt returner as was Rdub (it was the one thing he has consistently done good).

Leon Johnson goes pretty far back and I'd agree he was bad and Wade was nothing special. Still, thats 3 other guys (plus Hester) in a few year span. That makes me think the system has a lot to do with it.

At this point I gotta agree on Harris. He's done nothing in the first 3 games to warrant his paycheck. I can't even tell when he's on the field anymore. Hester's contract is a gamble but if he doesn't pan out as an elite WR I still think he'll be an average WR. He definitely has better hands than Rashied Davis. Hester's best value is as a deep threat and we have a QB who can't hit anyone more than 20 yards downfield.

dabearsdabomb, if you're not the person on these boards who's been most tentative about about anointing Hester the god of kick returning, then I am, but even I can't argue with the effect Hester has on field position when the other team is afraid to kick it to him. There's a big psychological factor there for both our team and also working against the opposition. I think our guys block harder for him because Hester makes them excited about doing their job.

If he's not twice as good as anyone that's come beforehand, as some like to think, then he's at least a very special player...and much of that big contract won't have to be paid out if Hester doesnt' make it as a WR. I got fooled on that, straight up predicting on this board that JA wouldn't redo a rookie contract with 2 years remaining, but JA put so many conditions in the contract that it ended up being doable.