Some thoughts

CrackerDog

* Orton looked solid and seems to be showing growth. Nice to see after we watched Grossman regress. Let's hope this continues.

* My condolences to the "internet football experts" on the site. I know how much happier you all are when the Bears lose.

* Atlanta and Minneapolis next. It makes tonight's game all that much more interesting. Both are games the Bears can win but we're going on the road to Atlanta.

* Peanut has made amends for his brain-fart that cost us a game. Way to man up, Nut!

* Booker's catch was one for the highlight films. Outstanding. And I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of bringing him back. Glad the Bears GM and coaching staff are smarter than me. It looks like he can still "git 'er done."

* Who else was pissed off about that Hester fumble? He cost me a bunch of points in fantasy not to mention costing the Bears D a much-deserved shutout. His play at WR has been improving but his bread and butter is the return game. He seems timid. Anyone else seeing this? Although, I have to admit, his athletic ability, to be able to stop on a dime and reverse field on the TD pass, was amazing. Nobody could keep up with him there. That play is unstoppable.

* OK, who else thought they wanted to jump through the TV screen and strangle the announcers yesterday? There were about a dozen times they said something stupid but the best example was on the challenge flag Lovie threw. They kept claiming it would be Bears ball at the 2 anyway and that Lovie was just protecting his players stats. Dumb fuc*s! It was clear the interference call would've given the Bears the ball at the 7, not the 2! And that's a huge difference, particularly for a team that needs to learn to go for the jugular!

* Roy Williams is a huge friggen tool. It always stuns me, even after all the times I've seen it, how selfish some of these guys can be. Is there something in the DNA of a typical NFL WR that makes them this way? TO's remarks yesterday after his team won are another example. I just don't get it.

* And no, I don't want Roy Williams on this team, to answer the question in another thread. I know the guy has talent and can really make plays... But I don't want the cancer. I don't want the selfish play. I don't want to see drops out of a guy who supposedly is "Mr. Perfect" in his own mind. Did anyone else notice how when the ball wasn't perfectly thrown he ranted and raved on the sidelines, hammering his own QB? But then when he was hit in the hands and just outright dropped it, he acted like nothing had happened? I mean, TOOLBOX! Be consistent at least! If you're going to demand perfection from others, be a perfectionist! Hypocrite!

* Good to see we can play in the daylight.

* I'm starting to get the feeling that there are a lot of god-awful football teams in the NFL this year. Seriously, who scares you? Maybe, with a little luck, we can be the tallest midget this season. Who knows. I'm not predicting Superbowl but damn if I see a team out there I think we can't beat. Let's stay healthy, keep "stacking wins" and see where this leads. If Orton continues to progress and this wasn't just about playing the shitty Lions, maybe we've got something here.

* Oh, and that quick slant to Des Clark at the goal line needs to be removed from the playbook. It almost got picked again this week.

* Orton looked solid and seems to be showing growth. Nice to see after we watched Grossman regress. Let's hope this continues.

Coming weeks will be a big test. Remember, two years ago, Rex started out looking very good, but as teams got more game tape on him, they learned how to attack him. While there is tape on him from the past, I am not sure how much value the film from his rookie year is, and his time last year was minimal. I think he has the ability, but how he plays when defenses adjust to him will tell a lot.

* Atlanta and Minneapolis next. It makes tonight's game all that much more interesting. Both are games the Bears can win but we're going on the road to Atlanta.

Pretty surprised by Atlanta this year. They are not a great football team, by any means, but it was questioned if they would win a game. They have played much better than expected. We should win, but it doesn't look like the cake walk it did prior to the season. Minny will be a tough game. Winable, but tough. I think they are much better off w/o Jackson at QB, even if their current starter isn't all that.

* Peanut has made amends for his brain-fart that cost us a game. Way to man up, Nut!

Looking at the stat line, something about Peanut that stood out was more PDs than tackles. I much prefer for my CBs to have more PDs, as higher tackle numbers usually means they are allowing the catch. Great job Peanut. I hope opponents WRs call him out every week.

* Booker's catch was one for the highlight films. Outstanding. And I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of bringing him back. Glad the Bears GM and coaching staff are smarter than me. It looks like he can still "git 'er done."

Booker is not a great WR anymore, but is a solid veteran who can help this offense, which is what we need.

* Who else was pissed off about that Hester fumble? He cost me a bunch of points in fantasy not to mention costing the Bears D a much-deserved shutout. His play at WR has been improving but his bread and butter is the return game. He seems timid. Anyone else seeing this? Although, I have to admit, his athletic ability, to be able to stop on a dime and reverse field on the TD pass, was amazing. Nobody could keep up with him there. That play is unstoppable.

I think he is looking for the homerun on every return. I actually like the way D.Manning (who I can't stand on defense) has played. When DM catches the ball, the simply takes off downfield. Hester seems to dance around a lot looking for the big holes. The homeruns are great, but I would really like to see more consistant gains out of Hester.

* Roy Williams is a huge friggen tool. It always stuns me, even after all the times I've seen it, how selfish some of these guys can be. Is there something in the DNA of a typical NFL WR that makes them this way? TO's remarks yesterday after his team won are another example. I just don't get it.

Um, where did he go to school? That would be Texas. Vasher may be the exception, but wow do Texas players really seem to be weak mentally. So long as Mack Brown is running the show, I think Texas will put out talent on the college level, but I think I would just as soon avoid drafting Texas players. There are some good ones, but way too many busts coming out of that program.

* And no, I don't want Roy Williams on this team, to answer the question in another thread. I know the guy has talent and can really make plays... But I don't want the cancer. I don't want the selfish play. I don't want to see drops out of a guy who supposedly is "Mr. Perfect" in his own mind. Did anyone else notice how when the ball wasn't perfectly thrown he ranted and raved on the sidelines, hammering his own QB? But then when he was hit in the hands and just outright dropped it, he acted like nothing had happened? I mean, TOOLBOX! Be consistent at least! If you're going to demand perfection from others, be a perfectionist! Hypocrite!

Agreed. I know we need talent at the WR position, but just question the value of these prima dona's. When things are going well, they are incredible, but they seem to fold too easily as soon as things go downhill. Dallas loses one game, and TO is spouting off. Chad Johnson gets worse and worse as the team struggles, and only makes things worse. Moss was awesome for NE so long as things were going well, but as soon as they started to go south a bit, instead of stepping up, he seemed to be stepping out. Roy? I don't even have to talk about him. The Prima Dona WRs can look unbelievable, but when the chips are down, they fold.

* I'm starting to get the feeling that there are a lot of god-awful football teams in the NFL this year. Seriously, who scares you? Maybe, with a little luck, we can be the tallest midget this season. Who knows. I'm not predicting Superbowl but damn if I see a team out there I think we can't beat. Let's stay healthy, keep "stacking wins" and see where this leads. If Orton continues to progress and this wasn't just about playing the shitty Lions, maybe we've got something here.

That's the funny thing about preseason predictions. GB, Minny, NO and Seattle were all predicted to be among the top, but none have really stepped up. At the same time, some teams who were not expected to be so good are looking better than expected (NYG, Wash, TB, Atl & US). I agree there are few dominant teams, in either conference. At the same time, I also think some teams we expected to be easy are not. But I agree w/ you, that this is a good year for us. There is no reason we should not be able to go far.

Moss was awesome for NE so long as things were going well, but as soon as they started to go south a bit, instead of stepping up, he seemed to be stepping out.

Has Randy done anything "toolish" this season? I've always hated him so I hope the answer is yes but if it is, I'm not aware of it. I just think he's in a position where he's not a great match for the QB talent they currently have in NE. Although, he had a big grab this week. Years ago I used to argue with a guy on the internet (hard to believe, I know) about how the Bears were smart to have let Randy slip past them. My point was always that even if he was great, he wasn't really a good fit for the Bears because we didn't have the QB talent to use him anyway. And his character was always suspect. Well, his greatness is undeniable now but I still think he'd have been "Bobby Wade" if the Bears had taken him. Nobody will ever know for sure.

Has Randy done anything "toolish" this season? I've always hated him so I hope the answer is yes but if it is, I'm not aware of it. I just think he's in a position where he's not a great match for the QB talent they currently have in NE. Although, he had a big grab this week. Years ago I used to argue with a guy on the internet (hard to believe, I know) about how the Bears were smart to have let Randy slip past them. My point was always that even if he was great, he wasn't really a good fit for the Bears because we didn't have the QB talent to use him anyway. And his character was always suspect. Well, his greatness is undeniable now but I still think he'd have been "Bobby Wade" if the Bears had taken him. Nobody will ever know for sure.

Admittedly, I am going off reports read, rather than what I have seen, as I have not watched NE much. But reports I have read talked about how Moss, after Brady went down, did begin to show some of the signs of the Moss cancer seen in the past.

- Shortly after Brady went down, rather than try to talk up Cassel, Moss simply focused more on how Cassel is not Brady. I don't recall the exact words, but Moss was taken to task a bit for his comments. Sure, you can say it is obvious Cassel is not Brady, but at a time when you want players to rally around the new QB, Moss seemed more focused on the negative side.

- Prior to joining NE, there were always reports about how Moss would play different when he knew the ball wasn't coming his way. Defenses talked about how they could tell by his approach to the snap whether he was the target or not. After joining NE, this was not seen, but in recent games, there was again talk about Moss taking plays off, or playing lazy on many downs.

- I have also read that Moss was simply playing half hearted. He wasn't running his routes well, and seemed to lack focus. He had a few drops w/ Cassel that most feel he would have caught if Brady were in.

There is no question Moss is an elite talent, but there have always been questions about his attitude. Those questions seemed to go away w/ Brady at the helm, and things going so well, but seem to be surfacing again w/ Brady out, and Moss' prospects for the season going downhill.

1. Granted, it wasa agasint the Lion, but Orton apepars to be getting better week by week.

2. So far, I've yet to see ANY experts on this site. No one to my knowledge gets paid to post here...

3. The Bears need to keep a chip on their shoulder and contonue to play to win, and go for the jugular. They did just that agasint Detroit. They need to continue that.

4. Agreed...Peanut made ammends. Also, I think Olsen did as well...

5. That catch by Booker was amazing! however, calling the replay on it was borderline foolish. It's whether you get the ball at the 4 or 7, and what if that challenge is needed for something that's an incompletion or a completion? I would not have done it..but I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

6. I didn't get pissed off at hester's fumble. He was trying to make something happen, and seemed to be on the verge of breaking one most the game. I still give him a pass. I wasn't happy, but nor was I super pissed.

7. Actually I do agree with them on the flag... While I don't like the announcers, I think they were right there. Look at how many plays get called back? It's literally like flipping a coin. Sometimes without rhyme or reason, refs still make a bad call on a replay. If the call was incomplete, I throw the flag. But a PI call accomplishes virtually the same thing. Had we really needed another challenge, it would be considered a dumb call. First and goal from the 7 should still be 6 points. Good teams get in.

8. Agreed. Seems like most WR's are in need of lobotomies.

9. After seeing what I've been seeing, I would have to change my initial thoughts of wanting him, to now thinking it's not worth it. However, if the price is right...and depending on the age of Booker and health of Lloyd, I'm not going to fully say NO.

10. There's daylight in the Ford Field dome? ;)

11. There are some bad clubs. Thee are also some good ones. The Giants scare me. THey are extremely confident and playing very error free football. They spread the ball around and pound away at the run. However, if we prgoress (something the team's not been able to do under Rex's arm...), we could prove very exciting down the stretch. I get the feeling we'll be in every game. That make us very dangerous.

12. No more quick slant to Clark please!

* My condolences to the "internet football experts" on the site. I know how much happier you all are when the Bears lose.

* OK, who else thought they wanted to jump through the TV screen and strangle the announcers yesterday? There were about a dozen times they said something stupid but the best example was on the challenge flag Lovie threw. They kept claiming it would be Bears ball at the 2 anyway and that Lovie was just protecting his players stats. Dumb fuc*s! It was clear the interference call would've given the Bears the ball at the 7, not the 2! And that's a huge difference, particularly for a team that needs to learn to go for the jugular!

* Good to see we can play in the daylight.

* Oh, and that quick slant to Des Clark at the goal line needs to be removed from the playbook. It almost got picked again this week.

2. So far, I've yet to see ANY experts on this site. No one to my knowledge gets paid to post here...

Well, I am at work, and getting paid as I post this. I am sure many here can say the same. So maybe we are all experts :)

While I may not go so far as to say we are experts, I will say this. About 90% of what I read on ESPN, Fox Sports, CNNSI, or whoever, is info I already read and disucssed on this board. Sometimes long before I read it in any of the national (or local) stuff.

I guess if you put it that way... ;)

Well, I am at work, and getting paid as I post this. I am sure many here can say the same. So maybe we are all experts :)

While I may not go so far as to say we are experts, I will say this. About 90% of what I read on ESPN, Fox Sports, CNNSI, or whoever, is info I already read and disucssed on this board. Sometimes long before I read it in any of the national (or local) stuff.

The slant to Clark is ok by me as long as the DB or LB is not right in front of him at the LOS. Clark doesn't get a clean release when jammed at the LOS but if a DB a couple yards back sitting on the play the go ahead and hit a quick slant.

The slant to Clark is ok by me as long as the DB or LB is not right in front of him at the LOS. Clark doesn't get a clean release when jammed at the LOS but if a DB a couple yards back sitting on the play the go ahead and hit a quick slant.

I think a better play would be to use the third TE Davis in a QB play action roll out jump ball in the end zone to the 6'7 Davis rather than the slant. This way, play action would hold the LB and it's always open.

I would have to diagree here. Grossman was throwing to Berrian and Moose and did well at times. Now if he had Randy instead of Moose things would have been different because Moss is a bigger threat than Moose and can go deep faster. So Rex would not have needed alot of time to throw the ball. I think the Randy has less drops than both Berrian and Moose combined.So he could have fit into the Bears perfectly giving us a #1 go to guy. Now the attitude might be the same but I would have taken that chance, the Patroits did, Dallas/Philly did with TO, the Bengals have Chad, and a few others with WR with troubled mouths. But what they do on the field is very great when a team needs that like we do.

But look at the situations. I would not saying that it can never be good to have one of those elite prima dona receivers, but I will say that (a) you have to have the right situation and (B) it will only work out for a limited time.

Situation. When you have a veteran, proven, QB who demands respect, than I think you have a greater liklihood of the WR being a good boy, or at least by their lower standards. You need a QB like McNabb or Brady, who will not allow the WR to walk all over them. That has been a big reason why I have not been in favor of getting a WR like that for us. W/o a QB who demands respect, I think it is just begging for a blowup situation.

Just look at the issues we had w/ Moose, who did not have the bad record. Remember him throwing Orton under the bus? What do you think a Moss or TO would have done. Look at our game against Det. Roy Williams shows up his QB when the pass fell short, or was off.

I just think that these sort of WRs can be great, but you have to have the right situation. If you don't, you are going to get the malcontent version rather than the pro bowl version.

Limited Time - Can anyone think of an example of a prima dona WR that stuck w/ a team for a long period of time? I am not talking about going back decades, but more talking about the more recent versions of the prima donas. TO had success w/ SF, but was forced out of town when things didn't go well. Ditto in Phily. It has been good so far in Dallas, but as opponents focus to stop him and he doesn't light up the score board, he has begun to show signs of the TO everyone has come to expect. Moss was sent packing from Minny to Oakland, and then sent to NE, where he has begun to show some of the signs of his former self now that Brady is out. Chad Johnson was an elite WR, but then started crying about his money and demanding a trade, and now this year, he is a bust. Roy Williams has stuck w/ Det for some time, but appears to be quickly hastening his exit. All these WRs are incredible talents, but it just seems like they can only keep themselves in check for so long before they implode.

Now you might argue you would take that limited window and go for a SB, but I would point back to point one, that we do not have the right situation for the immediate success to be seen.

Final point. For a while, it seemed like all the elite WRs were also prima donas, but lately, it seems to me more and more upper tier to top tier WRs are also good character guys. You might have contract squabbles, but not the same sort of issues seen w/ the likes of TO, Moss, etc. Harrison, Holt, Wayne, Fitz, Hous, Colston, Bowe, White, Evans, S.Moss, Ward, Andre Johnson.

So more and more of the games top WRs are also showing better character, which makes me question the need anymore to go after the likes of the TO, Moss, Chad Johnson, Roy Williams.

I would have to diagree here. Grossman was throwing to Berrian and Moose and did well at times. Now if he had Randy instead of Moose things would have been different because Moss is a bigger threat than Moose and can go deep faster. So Rex would not have needed alot of time to throw the ball. I think the Randy has less drops than both Berrian and Moose combined.So he could have fit into the Bears perfectly giving us a #1 go to guy. Now the attitude might be the same but I would have taken that chance, the Patroits did, Dallas/Philly did with TO, the Bengals have Chad, and a few others with WR with troubled mouths. But what they do on the field is very great when a team needs that like we do.

Actually I do agree with them on the flag... While I don't like the announcers, I think they were right there. Look at how many plays get called back? It's literally like flipping a coin. Sometimes without rhyme or reason, refs still make a bad call on a replay. If the call was incomplete, I throw the flag. But a PI call accomplishes virtually the same thing. Had we really needed another challenge, it would be considered a dumb call. First and goal from the 7 should still be 6 points. Good teams get in.

I couldn't disagree more. First, the actual facts:

(11:34) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass incomplete deep left to 86-M.Booker. PENALTY on DET-21-T.Fisher, Defensive Pass Interference, 24 yards, enforced at DET 31. Chicago challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED.

(Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass deep left to 86-M.Booker to DET 1 for 30 yards (21-T.Fisher). Penalty on DET-21-T.Fisher, Defensive Pass Interference, declined.

OK, so here we have it. The play in question was originally a 24 yard penalty and the play after reversal was a 30 yard gain. This means the difference was 6 yards. The corrected play puts the Bears at the ONE yard line rather than the SEVEN. In my mind, there's a HUGE difference in those two locations on the field. And we've been struggling to close out games!

Also, why save the challenge? We're already in the second half, leading. Even at 50/50 as you say above (which I don't concede) I'd say the play should've been reviewed.

But that wasn't really my point. My point was how idiotic the announcers sounded continually getting the facts wrong about the reasons for the challenge. They kept saying Lovie was "standing by his guys" and "trying to pad their stats" when the real reason was clearly field position. Your odds of getting in from the 1 and the 7 are significantly different. A professional like Lovie knows that. The knuckleheads in the booth should've at least acknowledged the facts I just stated above even if they disagreed with the decision.

And one last thing... As to their being "experts" on this site: I don't think there are either. Everyone here is just stating their opinion. But there are a few who have claimed they could be better than JA at GM. That means they're claiming to be experts. I've always call bullshit on that and I'm glad you agree.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was on the 3, not the 1.

I'm still not sure I'd have challenged it...but it makes more sense having on the 1 vs 7.

It's the matter of thinking do you want to use your insurance policy then or later. I would lean on latter and give confidence to my kick ass RB to get 7 yards and a score. However, if my staff were to clamor for challenging it, I'm OK with it.

I no longer feel I disagree based on the info you presented, but would have still considered not challenging.

I couldn't disagree more. First, the actual facts:

(11:34) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass incomplete deep left to 86-M.Booker. PENALTY on DET-21-T.Fisher, Defensive Pass Interference, 24 yards, enforced at DET 31. Chicago challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED.

(Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass deep left to 86-M.Booker to DET 1 for 30 yards (21-T.Fisher). Penalty on DET-21-T.Fisher, Defensive Pass Interference, declined.

OK, so here we have it. The play in question was originally a 24 yard penalty and the play after reversal was a 30 yard gain. This means the difference was 6 yards. The corrected play puts the Bears at the ONE yard line rather than the SEVEN. In my mind, there's a HUGE difference in those two locations on the field. And we've been struggling to close out games!

Also, why save the challenge? We're already in the second half, leading. Even at 50/50 as you say above (which I don't concede) I'd say the play should've been reviewed.

But that wasn't really my point. My point was how idiotic the announcers sounded continually getting the facts wrong about the reasons for the challenge. They kept saying Lovie was "standing by his guys" and "trying to pad their stats" when the real reason was clearly field position. Your odds of getting in from the 1 and the 7 are significantly different. A professional like Lovie knows that. The knuckleheads in the booth should've at least acknowledged the facts I just stated above even if they disagreed with the decision.

And one last thing... As to their being "experts" on this site: I don't think there are either. Everyone here is just stating their opinion. But there are a few who have claimed they could be better than JA at GM. That means they're claiming to be experts. I've always call bullshit on that and I'm glad you agree.