What this election means

CrackerDog

1.) George W. Bush lost this election for McCain. Sure, McCain made errors along the way. Examples: Saying the economy was fundamentally sound the day before it completely cratered; picking Sarah Palin; and "suspending his campaign" were all big blunders, among others. But this election wasn't really won or lost on those snafus. People saw through the bullshit and knew deep down we couldn't live with another 4 years of these bad Bush policies.

2.) The American People have rejected Republicanism roundly. At least the modern version of it. It's time for fiscal conservatives to wrestle back control over that party. Social conservatism, blending of religion and politics, isn't an effective way to run our government. Separation of church and state needs to become a plank in the Republican Party. If it isn't, Republicans will continue to see their party shrink and become a regional, rural, mostly racist, southern party only. Look at the map. The West and Northwest are rejecting this brand of Republicanism already and Democrats are forging into territories even I have a hard time believing. Sarah Palin must be marginalized immediately. If she takes control of the Party of Lincoln, Republicans will be worse off in the short and long run.

3.) Dirty politics didn't work. Pennsylvania saw the worst of all the "Obama = Terrorist" ads. Absolutely disgusting stuff. And he won by 600,000 votes there. Liz Dole went deep into the mud for the N. Carolina Senate seat and... she got her ass kicked. People have rejected this slime. Let's hope politicians get the memo. Issues based campaigns about what YOU stand for, not how terrible the other guy is, will win the day most of the time, going forward. Karl Rove's brand of politics took a huge beating yesterday. Bravo!

4.) As predicted, McCain proved himself last night. In a good way and a bad. The man that gave the concession speech about civil rights and people taking pride in Obama's election was the John McCain we all knew from the year 2000 and earlier. It's unfortunate that this speech also proved what a hypocrite he was during the election. If Obama was a "terrorist commie" yesterday morning, he wasn't an honorable, good man by the evening!!! In other words, all that slime he and Sarah Palin were spewing, for months, red meat for dopes like Drunk Bomber, it was all bullshit. It was him saying basically anything and everything he needed to say in order that he get elected. It failed. It's pathetic and I hope future candidates see how you can handle yourself with grace, run an honorable campaign, and still win, like Obama did.

5.) The Dems not getting to 60 in the Senate is a GREAT thing. We've had enough or arrogant governing. I've always believed Obama will govern from the center and now that will be proven (or disproven if I'm wrong.) There are enough moderate Republicans, I hope, in the Senate, to forge a coalition to get things done. I know for sure, after the Republicans have gotten their asses kicked in two straight elections, they know well that the American People won't stand for pure obstructionism. I expect Obama will appoint a very bipartisan and diverse cabinet and he'll find ways to work with Congress that the current President could not.

This isn't meant to be gloating. I'm VERY happy about the results yesterday but I see it as an opportunity to accomplish great things, nothing more. If this devolves into the same partisan circle-jerk we've seen for decades now, we're all doomed..

Bush is gone in less than 3 months. The country has moved in a different direction. McCain's main problem being tied to GB and his party that has essentially been in control for the last 8 yrs. He can't vote with the President 90% of the time and then try to run as a change agent.

I actually feel sorry for McCain. If he had been the McCain of 2000 he may of had a chance. Once he chose to follow the Rovian tactics, it was over for him. The outstanding speech he gave the other night was a glimpse of the John McCain that needed to run for President.

Peace :dabears

I actually feel sorry for McCain. If he had been the McCain of 2000 he may of had a chance. Once he chose to follow the Rovian tactics, it was over for him. The outstanding speech he gave the other night was a glimpse of the John McCain that needed to run for President.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. This article says it better than anything I could write myself:

Of course, McCain’s gracious concession speech is only notable because it contrasts so sharply with the sad and shabby campaign that he chose to run. Five classy minutes should not expiate several months’ worth of name calling, insinuations, and intellectual dishonesty. Honor cannot be worn like a jacket, to be slipped on and off as the situation dictates. John McCain irrevocably ceded his moral high ground during the course of his campaign, and the press should realize that one good speech doesn’t change that. Joe Klein has it right: Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.

He made his bed and now he's sleeping in it. He made these choices. I'm not sure the McCain of 2000 isn't completely gone. Odd things happen to people as they age. Although, I found out my grandmother was happy about Obama! I'm so proud of her! My aunt who lives with her said "She's not a liberal but she's a Chicago Democrat and she's sick of what the Republicans have done to this country." Bravo Grandma! John McCain could learn a thing or two from her about aging gracefully.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. This article says it better than anything I could write myself:

Absolutely your prerogitive. My opinion is life is too short. He did make these decisions and does have to live with them. I, however, will not hold it against him. It's over and I am moving on.

Absolutely your prerogitive. My opinion is life is too short. He did make these decisions and does have to live with them. I, however, will not hold it against him. It's over and I am moving on.

That's fine. Since McCain said multiple times during the campaign that he knows how to get Bin Laden, I expect he'll share those details with the new President as soon as possible. Otherwise, I expect he'll be charged with treason for protecting an enemy of the state.

He's getting old...he probably meant to say he knows how to get Fins laid... He's got a way with the Norse women apparently! ;)

That's fine. Since McCain said multiple times during the campaign that he knows how to get Bin Laden, I expect he'll share those details with the new President as soon as possible. Otherwise, I expect he'll be charged with treason for protecting an enemy of the state.

I was amazed during the campaign no one called him on this. If you know how to get him, then why the hell haven't you said anything until now.