Tell me this is not true

Grouchy Bear

Guest TerraTor
they probably backloaded Taits deal, thinkin he wouldnt even be here this long maybe

haha, oops, i bet thats 100,00K.. either that or they said if hamilton ever makes a good play on a ball his way he gets the money

or its so heavily incentive laden it something he would never reach.

It's incentive laden and inherited from the Bucs! Suntimes had a piece on it today:

Coach, put me in

Marcus Hamilton has more reason than any player to nag special-teams coordinator Dave Toub for playing time. The cornerback, whom the Bears claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay in September, topped the annual salary list produced by USA Today on Thursday, an unlikely name to see. Hamilton's salary-cap figure for 2008 is $10,242,941, the result of a $10 million incentive that he will not see.

Hamilton collects the bonus if he participates in 90 percent of the special-teams snaps for the season -- a figure he's not close to achieving because he's not on the field-goal team -- and blocks six punts. His next blocked punt will be his first.

The contract allows the Bears to eat up their leftover cap room for this season and earn a credit of $10 million for 2009, and it's a product of the contract Hamilton signed with the Buccaneers and the Bears inherited when they claimed him. More maneuverability under the cap the next two seasons will be necessary as the league moves to an uncapped year in 2011.

Still, it can't hurt for Hamilton to see himself picking the ball off a punter's foot in his dreams, over and over again.

''Nothing is impossible,'' he said. ''But I go in every day and just work.''

The player with the highest non-inflated cap figure this season is cornerback Charles Tillman, who checks in at $8,216,666.

Source: Suntimes

Marcus Hamilton has more reason than any player to nag special-teams coordinator Dave Toub for playing time. The cornerback, whom the Bears claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay in September, topped the annual salary list produced by USA Today on Thursday, an unlikely name to see. Hamilton's salary-cap figure for 2008 is $10,242,941, the result of a $10 million incentive that he will not see.

i have this question for those who follow the cap:

in order to obtain hamilton in a trade, don't you HAVE to have that $10 mil in cap room to start with just in case he meets incentives?

in other words can you sign a player you traded for whose contract is still viable with the other team without having the cash in cap room your new acquisition may or may not get paid?

if so we had $10-12 mil in cap space and used it on this guy? that would be an amazing revelation considering the needs we had this offseason.

WAIT A MINUTE....

after rereading this it doesn't make any sense.

it states in the article that he was waived by the bucs and THEN says " it's a product of the contract Hamilton signed with the Buccaneers and the Bears inherited when they claimed him".

if you are "waived" by a team how does the contract rollover to a team that picks you up? if it DOESN'T then angie just gave him the same type of contract tying up THAT much cap room? for a 7th round draft pick that was waived and who NEVER played a regular season down in his only year in the nfl?????

come on cap people, talk me off the ledge.

WAIT A MINUTE....

after rereading this it doesn't make any sense.

it states in the article that he was waived by the bucs and THEN says " it's a product of the contract Hamilton signed with the Buccaneers and the Bears inherited when they claimed him".

if you are "waived" by a team how does the contract rollover to a team that picks you up? if it DOESN'T then angie just gave him the same type of contract tying up THAT much cap room? for a 7th round draft pick that was waived and who NEVER played a regular season down in his only year in the nfl?????

come on cap people, talk me off the ledge.

The article clearly states we will be getting a cap credit of $10 million next yr since these goals are not achievable. No issue here.

Peace :dabears

So going by everything, how much cap space will we have going into 2009 free agency?

Hopefully enough to make a big run on Anquan Boldin if ARZ decides to trade him. His contract extension keeps him under contract until 2010. I would rather spend a 3 or 4 RD draft pick on a proven vet then on a rook. We can then rework his contract to make another Rosrnhaus client happy.

Anquan Boldin WR 6-1 217 Age 28 4.72 40 time

Hopefully enough to make a big run on Anquan Boldin if ARZ decides to trade him. His contract extension keeps him under contract until 2010. I would rather spend a 3 or 4 RD draft pick on a proven vet then on a rook. We can then rework his contract to make another Rosrnhaus client happy.

Anquan Boldin WR 6-1 217 Age 28 4.72 40 time

Forget that- I'd rather just go after TJ Houshmandzadeh who is a FA. Even if Cincinnati franchises him, I believe we can still trade for him- maybe give up a 3rd this year and a 4th next year, or something...

TJ is currently leading the NFL in receptions.

Teams aren't allowed to go over the cap, so YES Chicago had to have the $10M to cover Hamilton's bogus LTBE.

I don't know the details, but if Hamilton was still on the waiver wire when JA grabbed him, then the Bears would pick up the existing contract. If he cleared waivers before the Bears brought him in, then the SunTimes is full of crap because his contract would have been null and void the second he hit free agency.

Regardless, the Bears are getting the benefit of the LTBE loophole that teams use to circumvent the "use it or loose it" cap rule. Some teams abuse the heck out of the loophole, like the vikings. It's been my observation that the Bears don't use it much unless they have a specific reason.

My theory is that Angelo knew he was going to need extra money in '09 to give a QB a big contract, and Hamilton's contract gives him an instant $10M boost. Also, if Grossman's incentives are LTBEs, the team will get another $2M boost since there's no possibility he can earn them playing only part of a season.

It's too early to know how much cap space the Bears will have going into the '09 cap year. It's going to depend on what the league cap number will be, if the Bears cut players before free agency begins, etc.

Teams aren't allowed to go over the cap, so YES Chicago had to have the $10M to cover Hamilton's bogus LTBE.

I don't know the details, but if Hamilton was still on the waiver wire when JA grabbed him, then the Bears would pick up the existing contract. If he cleared waivers before the Bears brought him in, then the SunTimes is full of crap because his contract would have been null and void the second he hit free agency.

thanks for the info.

i do have to say this concerns me that we basically killed $10 mil this season when we had serious pressing needs on our offense like guard. anybody that was rooting for free agents like faneca or any other high priced offensive talent (tackle, guard, wide receiver) should be collectively groaning.

if angie was trying for a rollover of cash for 2009 doesn't that say he already threw in the towel for this season? hmmm

i think this can also conclude any argument regarding free agent signing bonus money coming out of mccasky's deep pockets that has been argued in the past.

thanks for the info.

i do have to say this concerns me that we basically killed $10 mil this season when we had serious pressing needs on our offense like guard. anybody that was rooting for free agents like faneca or any other high priced offensive talent (tackle, guard, wide receiver) should be collectively groaning.

if angie was trying for a rollover of cash for 2009 doesn't that say he already threw in the towel for this season? hmmm

i think this can also conclude any argument regarding free agent signing bonus money coming out of mccasky's deep pockets that has been argued in the past.

They spent an incredible amount of money this off season resigning their own which has been their pattern:

- Briggs

- Url

- Harris

- Hester

- Grossman

- Orton

- Clark

- A Brown

- Davis

Recently (last 5 yrs), they have been leaving approximately 3 million in cap going into the season to sign emergency players. Not sure why Angelo held the money this yr but he found a way to get the money credited to next yr so he should be complimented for that.