PFW: Vasher, Dvoracek are primary culprits in defense's demise

artbest

Honestly, I don't think there was a soul on this board saying THAT.

I, and a few others, made mention that Dusty wasn't that much of a downgrade from Tank Johnson. I may eat an egg, but I don't think that calls for full on crow... And I still feel it has more to do with our horrific scheme (or lack thereof) than the actual play... But, I'm not happy with his last perfromance and think he should ride the pine on Sunday and only get in to spell some of the other guys.

Hmmm, who was it that was saying Dvoracek was a beast and was heading to the Pro Bowl??? Who needs to eat some CROW?????

I, and a few others, made mention that Dusty wasn't that much of a downgrade from Tank Johnson. I may eat an egg, but I don't think that calls for full on crow... And I still feel it has more to do with our horrific scheme (or lack thereof) than the actual play... But, I'm not happy with his last perfromance and think he should ride the pine on Sunday and only get in to spell some of the other guys.

Here's my mea culpa. Watching Dusty in preseason and the first couple games of the regular season, I thought thay this guy just might even be our best DT. He looked like he was getting upfield, he looked strong, but I gotta say, I was absolutely, positively wrong about this guy. Especially in light of Warren Sapps comments about him wondering what he was doing out there and that those guys were sitting back waiting for Harris to make the play. It sure as hell took the wind out of my sails. I was actually worried about how we would renegotiate his compensation after this year. Looks like that's one less tough decision for Jerry Angelo to make, that is provided he's even here in the offseason. Right now, I say put Adams, Harris, Harrison in a rotation and see who does what then we make our decisions accordingly. If Harris isn't cutting it, put in Izzy or Toeinga but get a group in there who will fight and claw to get up field and we also need to do something about or DEs Wale looks pedestrian out there. Maybe we could get Izzy some PT at DE so we could rotate that position as well. All I know is, we gotta do something here. This is freakin ridiculous.

Ya know, one other thing that just might help this crew is, we've got Warren Sapp just sitting out there. If, as the players all indicate, it isn't the scheme, bring Sapp in as a consultant to help identify the real culprits here. Make any sense?

I do agree that Peterson's been the consumate team player. But this was a game out of reach. Peterson should be utilized if we needed some real production. In a situation like last week, it's time to let some other guys show what they have. Guys like Wolfe... I respect giving Peterson touches,etc on some level. But, I'm sorry. This is an issue. It's just another of far too many examples of why this coaching staff is failing the club.

I think if you liked the coaching staff you wouldn't care. Because you don't, every little thing they do get's highlighted. That's you and that' fine. I just think it was a few meaningless reps he gave to someone at the end of blowout game.

Peace :dabears

Here's my mea culpa. Watching Dusty in preseason and the first couple games of the regular season, I thought thay this guy just might even be our best DT. He looked like he was getting upfield, he looked strong, but I gotta say, I was absolutely, positively wrong about this guy. Especially in light of Warren Sapps comments about him wondering what he was doing out there and that those guys were sitting back waiting for Harris to make the play. It sure as hell took the wind out of my sails. I was actually worried about how we would renegotiate his compensation after this year. Looks like that's one less tough decision for Jerry Angelo to make, that is provided he's even here in the offseason. Right now, I say put Adams, Harris, Harrison in a rotation and see who does what then we make our decisions accordingly. If Harris isn't cutting it, put in Izzy or Toeinga but get a group in there who will fight and claw to get up field and we also need to do something about or DEs Wale looks pedestrian out there. Maybe we could get Izzy some PT at DE so we could rotate that position as well. All I know is, we gotta do something here. This is freakin ridiculous.

Ya know, one other thing that just might help this crew is, we've got Warren Sapp just sitting out there. If, as the players all indicate, it isn't the scheme, bring Sapp in as a consultant to help identify the real culprits here. Make any sense?

Big Toe should be in the rotatiion. He looked good at the end of last yr.

I think it would be a great idea to get Sapp in hear to talk to the players D Line. They need to hear an outside perspective.

Big Toe should be in the rotatiion. He looked good at the end of last yr.

I think it would be a great idea to get Sapp in hear to talk to the players D Line. They need to hear an outside perspective.

What I don't understand is, why on earth Lovie Smith hasn't thought about that. Let's face it, all Sapp ever did was define the DT role in that scheme. To me, anybody having as much trouble as we have with getting pressure should have talked to Sapp after about the fifth game. But, that's Lovie for ya. I can hear his comment now, "we have a coaching staff and don't need any other help, the players just need to execute better".

There was someone recently that was claiming that DD was playing ProBowl level ball, but never mind, I cannot remember who it was and did not mean to make a big deal of it. Sometimes the way I mean to write things comes out differently than I intend...

That being said, I wish I had the time or technical ability to really analyze game film. I would really be interested in knowing what the problem is. Being in the UK I only get to actually see a handful of games, the rest I am following on nfl.com and reading about. What I can gather is that Harris is gathering a bit of steam recently whereas DD seems to be slowing down from what was a solid performance earlier in the year. The secondary seems to have been really poor all year. Linebackers, besides Briggs, mediocre at best, same with DE. A sad state of affairs for a team that spends the majority of its cap on D.

Vasher isn't a shock, I still think he'd be best suited as a free safety playing next to a very strong tackling strong safety. He's a ball-hawk and plays well in space but as a corner he's lost it for the time being. I hadn't noticed Dusty until late but I'm guessing he's completely out of gas being that its been a couple seasons since he played a full year and that was in the college ranks. He looked like a really good prospect early in the season, but has definately slowed down.

It's time we start leaning more and more on the vets like Adams and another youngster Harrison (who looks really good to me, imo). I didn't think about it, but if Dusty is playing that bad it could be a reason why Urlacher has tended to dissapear.

I also want to know why we aren't seeing Bennet out there. I don't give two shits, the Bears have seen a bunch of WR's leave here and produce so its time we just give the freakin young WR's some time, especially since Booker blows (He has no step whatsoever). Solid vet presence and for a key situation I don't mind having him out there but for the most part his time has passed

I hear ya!

As you say, this sad state of affairs has just got many of us confused and feeling abused...

There was someone recently that was claiming that DD was playing ProBowl level ball, but never mind, I cannot remember who it was and did not mean to make a big deal of it. Sometimes the way I mean to write things comes out differently than I intend...

That being said, I wish I had the time or technical ability to really analyze game film. I would really be interested in knowing what the problem is. Being in the UK I only get to actually see a handful of games, the rest I am following on nfl.com and reading about. What I can gather is that Harris is gathering a bit of steam recently whereas DD seems to be slowing down from what was a solid performance earlier in the year. The secondary seems to have been really poor all year. Linebackers, besides Briggs, mediocre at best, same with DE. A sad state of affairs for a team that spends the majority of its cap on D.

I don't give the players a free pass or the coaching staff.

At the moment they all appear to be doing a less than satisfacory job.

As bad as Harris and DD are. The guys behind them are not much better and Adams is down right horrible.

How many guys on defense are actually earning their money ??

1 or 2 ?

If you have broadband or cable you can watch the games online on

http://www.stoogetv.com/player.html

They don't list the game until close to kickoff, but they show every Bears game.

Thanks for that, I have tried Stoogetv but either my computer or line, or both, are far too slow to enjoy the game. I have tried some of the other sites as well and had the same difficulty...

I don't give the players a free pass or the coaching staff.

At the moment they all appear to be doing a less than satisfacory job.

As bad as Harris and DD are. The guys behind them are not much better and Adams is down right horrible.

How many guys on defense are actually earning their money ??

1 or 2 ?

Wasn't Adams looking pretty good earlier in the year? Might be worth trying some different guys, if nothing else to give DD and Harris a bit of rest.