Free Agents

Wesson44

On ESPN First Take, they had a Baltimore area writer on and he said with all 3 of the Ravens starting LB's being FA's after the year, they are going to try to keep Suggs and Lewis, so Scott may be the odd man out. However, Scott says he'll take a pay-cut to stay with his team.

If we can't get Suggs for $13 million per, I'd love to have Scott for $9 million per.

Then again, we do already have Williams waiting in the wing in case of an injury to Briggs. Until then, Hillenmeyer is Roach's back-up.

Just because Cassell was the backup to Tom Brady doesn't mean he will be great. Lets remember that Cassell wasn't even good enough to start any game in college.

That doesn't mean he wasn't good enough- it means the college just had so much other talent.

For his first season as the full time starter since high school, he has an 87 QB rating. I'd say that's pretty good, and for only being 26, some team will give him big time money this offseason.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 19 2008, 03:20 PM)

We should have around 20 million in cap room next year, so that should leave us with plenty of cash to make a big time free agent signing, and I am hoping that signing is Terrell Suggs. Spending money anywhere else then DE in this free agent class would be stupid, IMO. Build the oline through the draft, and to fix our pass rushing problems, sign a beast like Suggs.

Smartest thing youve ever said

I think DE would be huge for our defense. I think our DB's and LB's have suffered from a true lack of pass rush. We have dedicated more personnel to blitzing and playing in the box than any other team this year, without results. I love Suggs and wanted him out of college. I remember there was speculatution he would be a bust due to his 40 time. But, real football people know a player when they see one, so Baltimore pulled the trigger. I wonder with 20 mil how creative JA can be. If we sign Suggs, we can cut Brown or Wale to make more room. Resign M Brown for a team friendly deal (damn he owes us). Draft a day one corner and move Peanut to FS, the D should be on point. That would leave money to sign an upgrade at WR. Then we draft an OG and OT one day one. With luck we get another day one pick for a WR as compensation for Berrian. I also want the nastiest FB in the draft, whch can happen on day two. Other cuts for cap may be Tait, Garza, Metcalf, Booker, Davis, McKie and Hillenmeyer. Of course all won't be gone, but there is a chance that these will be the ones depending on moves.

I have spoken, therefore it shall be done!! :whip

Resign M Brown for a team friendly deal (damn he owes us).

Mike Brown doesn't owe anyone anything. He has come back from multiple injuries instead of simply walking away. When he is on the field, he gives it everything he has. I believe he actually changed his salary this yr so most of it would be based on playing time. He should look for the best deal he can get on the market.

Peace :dabears

Mike Brown doesn't owe anyone anything. He has come back from multiple injuries instead of simply walking away. When he is on the field, he gives it everything he has. I believe he actually changed his salary this yr so most of it would be based on playing time. He should look for the best deal he can get on the market.

That's all you took from that post? I guess it really doesn't matter. It's not like he's worth big money that would lead to exess bidding for his services. The difference between a team friendly deal and highest bidder should be minimal.

That's all you took from that post? I guess it really doesn't matter. It's not like he's worth big money that would lead to exess bidding for his services. The difference between a team friendly deal and highest bidder should be minimal.

You might be surprised what interest Mike Brown can bring. A team like New England would love to have him in there secondary(a smart/disciplined vet). Mike Brown was used a lot differently the first 8 games, now he's back to playing in the box and causing havoc. If the Bears don't resign Brown, he'd be the top Safety in the FA pool.

It would be a sad day in Bear nation to see Mike Brown in another uniform and to face him, especially if someone like Minny decides to hire his services. I think the Bears should reward Brown for restructuring his last year and find out what it would take to have him retire with the team. That would be my first FA signing if I were JA, then I would look at Suggs/Peppers , TJ Housh.

You aren't understanding anything I am saying. I am not sold on Cassell because he hasn't proved anything yet. He has played very well this year considering the circumstances. Is he that good or is the system or how about those receivers that he has to throw to. He has plenty of weapons to throw to. AND msot important the Oline is extremely good and gives him the ability to look around.

You might be surprised what interest Mike Brown can bring. A team like New England would love to have him in there secondary(a smart/disciplined vet). Mike Brown was used a lot differently the first 8 games, now he's back to playing in the box and causing havoc. If the Bears don't resign Brown, he'd be the top Safety in the FA pool.

It would be a sad day in Bear nation to see Mike Brown in another uniform and to face him, especially if someone like Minny decides to hire his services. I think the Bears should reward Brown for restructuring his last year and find out what it would take to have him retire with the team. That would be my first FA signing if I were JA, then I would look at Suggs/Peppers , TJ Housh.

Never said he wouldn't draw interest. I just would be surprised if he gets big money elsewhere. I can only imagine him getting an incintive laden deal anywhere he goes. When healthy, he's worth every penny. When injured, he rips your heart out. Agreed on wanting him to retire a Bear. Just at a contract that doesn't hurt when he goes down. But us owing him because he redid his deal last year was as much for him as it was us, as he was getting ready to be cut - IMO. It gave him a chance to revive his career when other teams may have written him off and/or brought him in on a Kevin Jones type deal. (which is very high risk for the player)

Just because Cassell was the backup to Tom Brady doesn't mean he will be great. Lets remember that Cassell wasn't even good enough to start any game in college.

There's only a handful of college QB's in history that would have beat out Matt Lienart for the USC QB job.

If I hear one more person say we should move Peanut to FS, I'm gonna flip. Maybe when he's nearing the end of his career, but right when he's in his prime? You gotta be shitting me. Wanting to move your best corner to FS is beyond stupid. My god, what a stupid freakin idea.

Hmm, Torry Holt's last home game as a Ram?

Asked if he wanted to return to the Rams in 2009, Torry Holt said, "No comment."

Uh oh. Holt also said "no comment" when asked if he thought he would be back. Holt certainly isn't worth his $6.65 million salary next season, so a divorce makes sense for both sides. Sunday could be Holt's last game in front of the home crowd. The Rams must also make tough calls on Leonard Little and Orlando Pace.

Ok. I like the idea of going after Suggs but I disagree with cutting Alex Brown. Cut Wale but Brown stays.

Hmm, Torry Holt's last home game as a Ram?

He's on the wrong side of 30, but he's still a great receiver and would be better then anything we have. Perhaps the Lovie connection would bring him here. However, I have a feeling if Martz stays on as SF's OC, Holt might be reunited with his buddy Bruce.

If I hear one more person say we should move Peanut to FS, I'm gonna flip. Maybe when he's nearing the end of his career, but right when he's in his prime? You gotta be shitting me. Wanting to move your best corner to FS is beyond stupid. My god, what a stupid freakin idea.

Get your Prozac ready because this is going to drive you over the edge. There are several reasons moving Tillman to FS would be a great move for the team. (Disclaimer: It all depends on being confident of his replacement)

1) Tillman has good straightline speed = more suited to play FS, as a corner his man often gets open because he does not cut and change direction as well as most. Where he makes up for it by hustling to make the tackle and making the strip. Next point segway.

2) Tackling - He is a great tackler. At FS he will get more attempts to do what he does best. AP might not kill us with Brown in the box and Tillman at FS.

3) Stripping - Again more opportunities to do what he does better than anyone.

4) Scheme - A lot of our scheme is predicated on the CB turning the reciever over to the FS. With Tillmans straightline speed and natural ball skills he would be a dangerous center fielder.

5) Size - He has the natural size to add a few pounds and still maintain his agility. The way Tillman likes to hit, I could imagine him making some highlight reels from this position.

6) Natural fit - When drafted the experts said his natural fit was to play FS. One expert was quoted as saying, "If he doesn't make it at CB, he will be an all-pro safety". Of course he has made it at CB, so he only gets replaced if we find someone servicable at the position.

Opinion - From what I see from our defense we have lacked a ball hawk since Brownie lost his speed. With Brown in the box and Tillman on patrol. I think the Bears DB's get better through getting the right peices in place to make the collective unit better. I also want Vasher at nickel, but that's a different topic. :bringit

Get your Prozac ready because this is going to drive you over the edge. There are several reasons moving Tillman to FS would be a great move for the team. (Disclaimer: It all depends on being confident of his replacement)

1) Tillman has good straightline speed = more suited to play FS, as a corner his man often gets open because he does not cut and change direction as well as most. Where he makes up for it by hustling to make the tackle and making the strip. Next point segway.

2) Tackling - He is a great tackler. At FS he will get more attempts to do what he does best. AP might not kill us with Brown in the box and Tillman at FS.

3) Stripping - Again more opportunities to do what he does better than anyone.

4) Scheme - A lot of our scheme is predicated on the CB turning the reciever over to the FS. With Tillmans straightline speed and natural ball skills he would be a dangerous center fielder.

5) Size - He has the natural size to add a few pounds and still maintain his agility. The way Tillman likes to hit, I could imagine him making some highlight reels from this position.

6) Natural fit - When drafted the experts said his natural fit was to play FS. One expert was quoted as saying, "If he doesn't make it at CB, he will be an all-pro safety". Of course he has made it at CB, so he only gets replaced if we find someone servicable at the position.

Opinion - From what I see from our defense we have lacked a ball hawk since Brownie lost his speed. With Brown in the box and Tillman on patrol. I think the Bears DB's get better through getting the right peices in place to make the collective unit better. I also want Vasher at nickel, but that's a different topic. :bringit

I agree. Further, we have Graham who has shown he is a starter in this league. Assuming Vasher come back 100%, then I would move Tillman to FS. BTW - I would not move Manning from nickel - he is actually playing much better now.

That's all fine and dandy, but you still don't move your top corner, and top 20-15 corner in the league, to FS. That's just stupid. I could see if Tillman was consistently struggling at Corner, but he's not. Don't fix what isn't broken.

That's all fine and dandy, but you still don't move your top corner, and top 20-15 corner in the league, to FS. That's just stupid. I could see if Tillman was consistently struggling at Corner, but he's not. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Ok, make the assumption that Vasher comes back at the level of play from 2 yrs ago. What do you do?

Ok, make the assumption that Vasher comes back at the level of play from 2 yrs ago. What do you do?

Nothing. Tillman has been this team's best corner even when Vasher was getting all the hype, and having Vasher return to a high level of play would give us a great corner back duo again. Having Graham as excellent depth only makes the situation better. We can keep Tillman and Vasher fresh by having both of them rotate in. Let Graham be the primary backup for both of them, and let's not forget about McBride.

Also, good FS's are a whole lot easier to come by then good corners.

Nothing. Tillman has been this team's best corner even when Vasher was getting all the hype, and having Vasher return to a high level of play would give us a great corner back duo again. Having Graham as excellent depth only makes the situation better. We can keep Tillman and Vasher fresh by having both of them rotate in. Let Graham be the primary backup for both of them, and let's not forget about McBride.

Also, good FS's are a whole lot easier to come by then good corners.

Graham needs to be on the field. Having him rotate in is a waste of his talent IMHO.