USC FS Mays staying in school

Ed Hochuli 3:16

USC 2-time All-American first team safety Taylor Mays, a 2008 Thorpe Award finalist, announced today (Jan. 13) that he will return for his 2009 senior season as a Trojan.

"There are a lot more things I want to accomplish as a player, a student and a person, things that I've dreamed about for a long time and that are big goals to me," said Mays. "Returning to USC will help me be the best player I can be and put me in the best position possible for the next level.

"It came down to whether I felt I was ready physically and mentally. I feel there are some more things in my game that I can improve upon, things that would help me take the next step. I didn't want to sell myself short.

"Plus, I want to be here for my teammates and provide an example to them as a leader and a player. I love the camaraderie here and the atmosphere. USC is a special place. From all the players I've talked to in the NFL, they say it's a whole different world up there. They enjoyed college more than the NFL. I want to enjoy my last year of fun before it turns into a business.

"I'm also on track to graduate this fall and I know that's a big deal to my parents.

"I'm excited to start working hard toward next season. In fact, I wish I could start playing the 2009 season right now."

Said USC head coach Pete Carroll: "We're obviously delighted to learn of Taylor's decision. He and his family did a lot of research and made an educated decision. He embodies all the virtues of staying. He wants to do this not only to improve as a player, but he's coming back for his team, for his school and for the fans. We're looking forward to Taylor having another outstanding season in 2009 and furthering his standing as a player and a person. He's one of the most gifted safeties to ever play at USC and he wants to come back and do it one more time."

Mays has started the past 3 seasons (2006-08) at free safety for the Trojans, recording 180 tackles and 4 interceptions in his career. He was a consensus All-American first teamer as a junior in 2008 and among 3 finalists for the Thorpe Award as he made 53 tackles and a team-best 9 deflections while helping the Trojans to a 12-1 record, a seventh consecutive Pac-10 title and a third straight win in the Rose Bowl. After earning Freshman All-American first team honors in 2006 when he had 62 tackles and 3 interceptions, he was named an All-American first team pick as a sophomore in 2007 with 65 tackles and 6 deflections.

per USC's website.

I really hope we sign Oshiomogho Atogwe, who I think would provide our secondary a nice boost. While he played for a bad defense, he was one of the few bright spots. He is a legit FS, something we have not had in years.

Actually its a good move for him, If he has a comperable season he will be a top 10 pick next year, maybe top 5.

Right now, he's pretty much a top 10 pick based on him being a physical specimen, but he never really had elite production you'd expect out of someone like him. If he has a great senior campaign, he could easily go in the top 5.

Right now, he's pretty much a top 10 pick based on him being a physical specimen, but he never really had elite production you'd expect out of someone like him. If he has a great senior campaign, he could easily go in the top 5.

Being a USC fan, I've watched many games, and his production is down because he doesn't get thrown to/by, similar to Asomugha.

Actually its a good move for him, If he has a comperable season he will be a top 10 pick next year, maybe top 5.

And he gets to be on a team that will once again be ranked one of, if not the best. Oh, and he gets one more year of being one of the Gods in warm, sunny Southern Cal!

I really hope we sign Oshiomogho Atogwe, who I think would provide our secondary a nice boost. While he played for a bad defense, he was one of the few bright spots. He is a legit FS, something we have not had in years.

I take it he's the best free safety available? That's tough to argue with. Looking at his stats, the guy hasn't missed a game since his rookie year, he's had 13 interceptions the past two seasons, (which is pretty impressive considering the Rams have usually been getting their asses kicked and have a horrible run defense). And he was taken in the 3rd round, 66th overall, which means he graded pretty high at the combine.

Although I wonder how much a top free safety will cost. I can't believe the Rams would easily let one of their few bright spots get away.

Either way, it sucks that the top safety has decided to stick around one more year.

It's all a moot point anyway. There's no way Mays would have fallen to the Bears.

Either way it still sucks. If he wouldn't have fallen, that just takes a different player away from the Bears. Looking at Scouts inc. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft

In the top 32 they have 5 offensive tackles, 3 WR's, 5 DE's, and 3 QB's listed. You take one top player away from the pool, and everyone moves up one. Not to mention there are no safeties listed in the top round now that Mays is gone.

O.J. Atogwe is gonna be tagged, at the very least, and I'm not that big of a fan of his. He's a HUGE risk taker in the secondary, and so far it has paid off for him, but we'll see if it continues to work for him next year.