Could our big FA be DL?

nfoligno

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt. I just made a tee-time for 10:37 tomorrow, and I will most likely be wearing shorts.

I remember about two years ago, we had the most perfect winter ever. One morning I woke up, and it was a straight up snow flurry, and had been going on all night. There was actually around 2 to 3 inches of snow on the ground. I was truly excited, and woke up the kids. We got dresses, made a snow man, had snow ball fights, etc. I swear to you, by around 10am, the snow stopped falling, and the sun was up. Around 1pm that afternoon, the sun was out full and it was getting hotter by the minute, the snow was melting away, and heavy coats were shed for light jackets. By the end of the day, there was barely a trace of the snow. All you saw were small patches on grass and maybe the heads of the snowmen that were full size in the morning.

I think it ended up being in the mid 60s that day.

That was the best winder ever. It lasted one morning, long enough to play in the snow, and was warm enough by afternoon to play some golf.

Its 76 here. ROFL.

I don't mind the heat. Humidity is another matter, but heat I can deal w/.

I absolutely love July/August here when we start to count how many consecutive days go over 100. I love it because the golf courses are empty during the hottest part of the day, and I have it all to myself. Well, myself and a few other nuts. Plus, it is light out later. I can tee off as late as 5pm, and still get in 2 full rounds.

I don't know why people are complaining. I'll take severely cold over severely hot any day. You can put as much clothes on as you want to stay warm, but you can only take so much off to try and stay cool.

I might eat some crow on this one... Peppers says he doesn't want to return (wants his big payday, not the franchise tag), and I guess it turns out if they franchise him, that's a 17 million dollar cap hit! So, unless they cut Delhomme, I don't see how they can afford it. However, I don't see them letting Peppers go for nothing, and that they will franchise him and trade him. Let him and his agent work out a deal with another team, and get back a 1st round pick, and probably a couple more picks in the 3-4 range. Jared Allen got the Cheifs a 1st round pick and 2 3rd's, and I'd say Peppers > Allen.

While I think it is a possible Carolina does tag him to trade him, I am not sure they would get full value for him. If you can I can talk about their cap situation, you know the rest of the GMs are well aware. If they tag Peppers to trade him, I think you might see the bulk of the teams make them sweat a bit and wait them out.

Think about this. This have their entire allotment of cap space tied up to a player they are planning to trade. So long as he is on the roster, they have to account for his cap hit, and thus can not make any other moves this offseason. The longer they go w/o making a deal, the longer into FA they go w/o helping their team.

If they tag him to trade him, I think they are going to have to accept less than what KC got for Allen, though Peppers is better. The other side of this is if they simply tag him to keep him, regardless what he wants.

I might eat some crow on this one... Peppers says he doesn't want to return (wants his big payday, not the franchise tag), and I guess it turns out if they franchise him, that's a 17 million dollar cap hit! So, unless they cut Delhomme, I don't see how they can afford it. However, I don't see them letting Peppers go for nothing, and that they will franchise him and trade him. Let him and his agent work out a deal with another team, and get back a 1st round pick, and probably a couple more picks in the 3-4 range. Jared Allen got the Cheifs a 1st round pick and 2 3rd's, and I'd say Peppers > Allen.

Apparently Peppers wants to go to a 3-4 team and play OLB... I just want to say he'd be god awful as an OLB, and I think he only wants to do this because his ego is hurt from all the pub 3-4 DE's like Ware and Merriman get. Yeah, Peppers is a physical specimen, but at 6'7", he loses all leverage he had at DE and will not make an impact. If anything, he's a better fit at DE in a 3-4.

While I think it is a possible Carolina does tag him to trade him, I am not sure they would get full value for him. If you can I can talk about their cap situation, you know the rest of the GMs are well aware. If they tag Peppers to trade him, I think you might see the bulk of the teams make them sweat a bit and wait them out.

Think about this. This have their entire allotment of cap space tied up to a player they are planning to trade. So long as he is on the roster, they have to account for his cap hit, and thus can not make any other moves this offseason. The longer they go w/o making a deal, the longer into FA they go w/o helping their team.

If they tag him to trade him, I think they are going to have to accept less than what KC got for Allen, though Peppers is better. The other side of this is if they simply tag him to keep him, regardless what he wants.

They'd only probably trade him if they got value they see fit. They'd get a first rounder for sure, and probably an additional mid rounder. Maybe a conditional pick in 2010.

Man, I bet Carolinas' staff feels like they are getting punched in the nads repeatedly. Could you imagine having the best DE and LT in football and knowing you were going to lose one of them? LOL

Gross isn't the best LT in football, best RT, certainly. He played good at LT, but needed to play there because they drafted Otah, and he's a RT.

Here's where I made that comment...

HERE’S A “REAL” ALL-PRO TEAM

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 4:58 p.m.

We’ve been complaining a lot lately about the manner in which the AP postseason awards are regarded as the gospel truth.

So instead of continuing to complain about that (we’ve moved on to bigger windmills made of sturdier materials), we’ll instead offer a more reliable and credible All-Pro team.

Courtesy of our friends at Sporting News.

The Sporting News All-Pro team was compiled not based on 50 reporters and broadcasters who might think that James Harrison is an inside linebacker or that Chris Johnson is worthy of being the MVP but not one of the best two running backs in the game. Instead, Sporting News relied on the votes of 664 players, coaches, and General Managers.

The list is right here. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=507783

Sorry, but hearing about the $17m cap hit they will eat for tagging him, I am going to go out on a limb and say they will not get a 1st round pick. They will have to gut their team, w/o the ability to sign players to fill holes, in order to tag and keep Peppers. I think teams around the NFL will let them tag Peppers, and sit back and wait for them to cut him. Essentially, the league would call their bluff.

They'd only probably trade him if they got value they see fit. They'd get a first rounder for sure, and probably an additional mid rounder. Maybe a conditional pick in 2010.

The Panthers aren't going to let him go without getting a 1st. It'd be stupid for them not to. The Panthers don't have to trade him, but would probably prefer to because of all that cap. Some team will be willing to give up a first.

Here's where I made that comment...

HERE'S A "REAL" ALL-PRO TEAM

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 4:58 p.m.

We've been complaining a lot lately about the manner in which the AP postseason awards are regarded as the gospel truth.

So instead of continuing to complain about that (we've moved on to bigger windmills made of sturdier materials), we'll instead offer a more reliable and credible All-Pro team.

Courtesy of our friends at Sporting News.

The Sporting News All-Pro team was compiled not based on 50 reporters and broadcasters who might think that James Harrison is an inside linebacker or that Chris Johnson is worthy of being the MVP but not one of the best two running backs in the game. Instead, Sporting News relied on the votes of 664 players, coaches, and General Managers.

The list is right here. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=507783

Oh, there's no doubt that Gross was the best LT this past season, but that was more in part due to him being in the perfect scheme where he could play LT. The Panthers have this power running, zone blocking scheme that needs someone like Gross at LT.