If We Do Have 32 mil...

Mongo3451

With Tait's retirement looming, we are looking at approx 32 million to use in free agency. That number could increase if some cuts are made. Another scenario that makes this money huge is that we have no big name FA's to re-sign.

I have big on re-signing St. Clair. I'm no longer on the bandwagon for signing him no matter what. If he can't be had for a decent price before FA begins, it's time to roll the dice. Who I like: Khalif Barnes. He had a down year, but didn't all the Jags. He's young and has shown his talent. He's the best remaining OT out there and provides us great flexibilty.

Next up is the WR's. Gotta go Houshmandzadeh here. Orton needs a #1 this year. We don't have one and one can't be drafted and expected to fill that role this year. Housh is the ONLY reciver availible that can get this done for us.

Next I'll take Terrell Suggs. He can play anywhere he wants. He would provide a consistent rush and can play DE and OLB. He's gonna cost big.

DB - Chris McAlister. I think he finished the season on the DL. If he can pass a physical, bring him in to compete at CB or FS. I don't see any FS in the draft for us and we need depth at corner.

Barnes - 6 mil

Housh - 9 mil

Suggs - 13 mil

McAlister - 3 mil

That doesn't leave enough for draft picks, but where there is a will there is a way. This do-able if we make a couple of cuts and re-structure contracts? What value would these players add? Thoughts...

Now we can focus on the draft.

1) Hope a good OT falls to us. (solidifty the position once and for all)

2) CB, DE, FS

3a) ditto + WR

3b) Hopefully. CB, DE, FS, WR, OG

4) BPA, from here on out, remembering Url is not getting any younger, Hilly really declined last year and we can't keep a SS healthy.

Suggs is franchised by the Ravens.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29267302/

And we need to work more on the O-line than just take an OT in the draft. Some of that money must go to a veteran. If it's St. Clair, Barnes or someone else it doesn't really matter to me, but we need another solid veteran besides Kreutz on that line, so I'd put Housh below Barnes on your list.

Suggs is franchised by the Ravens.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29267302/

And we need to work more on the O-line than just take an OT in the draft. Some of that money must go to a veteran. If it's St. Clair, Barnes or someone else it doesn't really matter to me, but we need another solid veteran besides Kreutz on that line, so I'd put Housh below Barnes on your list.

Thanks for the Suggs update. I looked for that, but couldn't find. Since he was the biggest ticket item, that changes things. Barnes was and is still top of my list, wish Housh 2nd. Now we can even pursue a Nate Washington or Devery Henederson on top of Housh.

Thanks for the Suggs update. I looked for that, but couldn't find. Since he was the biggest ticket item, that changes things. Barnes was and is still top of my list, wish Housh 2nd. Now we can even pursue a Nate Washington or Devery Henederson on top of Housh.

If you read the latest Angelo comments on Suntimes.com, he sounds like he isn't going after any front-line free agents, rather he'll be picking at the scraps after the first few waves on free agency go by. So the answer might be that we aren't spending that 32 mil. It's depressing.

If you read the latest Angelo comments on Suntimes.com, he sounds like he isn't going after any front-line free agents, rather he'll be picking at the scraps after the first few waves on free agency go by. So the answer might be that we aren't spending that 32 mil. It's depressing.

FA hasn't even started and alot of the very good players are off the board (signed or tagged). Look for Angelo to grab a couple of low to mid tier FA and use the rest of the money to extend players like Orton or Manning during the season with front end loaded contracts (they will find a way to use up the cap).

Peace :dabears

FA hasn't even started and alot of the very good players are off the board (signed or tagged). Look for Angelo to grab a couple of low to mid tier FA and use the rest of the money to extend players like Orton or Manning during the season with front end loaded contracts (they will find a way to use up the cap).

Why sign Orton or Manning to a front-loaded contract when we don't even know if they have a future here. Manning hasn't done well at any defensive position (not that the coaching staff has helped him by moving him around), and you can only be productive at kick returner for so long. Orton showed some flashes of solid play, but he still hasn't proven he's worth counting on long term. I wouldn't sign either of these guys to a long term deal until they showed me something. If you sign either to a front loaded deal now, you are overpaying this year, then if they do well they'll want a new deal, and if they don't do well you just threw that money out the window.

And does anyone think we are a couple low to midlevel free agents (plus an Angelo draft) away from being a super bowl contender? I don't.

Why sign Orton or Manning to a front-loaded contract when we don't even know if they have a future here. Manning hasn't done well at any defensive position (not that the coaching staff has helped him by moving him around), and you can only be productive at kick returner for so long. Orton showed some flashes of solid play, but he still hasn't proven he's worth counting on long term. I wouldn't sign either of these guys to a long term deal until they showed me something. If you sign either to a front loaded deal now, you are overpaying this year, then if they do well they'll want a new deal, and if they don't do well you just threw that money out the window.

And does anyone think we are a couple low to midlevel free agents (plus an Angelo draft) away from being a super bowl contender? I don't.

Last year, we won 9 games with bad QB play for the 2nd half of the year, the worst WR corps I've ever seen, a rookie RB, a medicore OL, and a bad pass rush. If we can improve our OL, get Orton back to the way he played the 1st half, and have Hester continue to improve + another solid WR, we'll easily win 11 games next year, especially since our schedule looks very easy on paper.

Last year, we won 9 games with bad QB play for the 2nd half of the year, the worst WR corps I've ever seen, a rookie RB, a medicore OL, and a bad pass rush. If we can improve our OL, get Orton back to the way he played the 1st half, and have Hester continue to improve + another solid WR, we'll easily win 11 games next year, especially since our schedule looks very easy on paper.

I agree. Add to that our D gave us nothing last year. If it can go from 20+ to 10-15, we would have won the division and made the playoffs. Our OL is the key. I would love to see the money spent on players for this year, not paying forward on signing our own. There will be money for that next year.

I agree. Add to that our D gave us nothing last year. If it can go from 20+ to 10-15, we would have won the division and made the playoffs. Our OL is the key. I would love to see the money spent on players for this year, not paying forward on signing our own. There will be money for that next year.

I completely agree Mongo. I am hoping that we are big time players in the FA market, however with all the new signings and tags I am starting to doubt that we will be now.

Sorry - should have clarified. I should have added 'during the middle of the season next yr (if they are playing well)'. I would definately not sign them until they show improvement during next season.

First off with Housh, the Sun Times talkbed about letting Bobby Engram go, allowed Marty Booker to become a pro-bowler. IMO, there's no way we pay a ton of money to an older possession-type WR when we want to see Hester, Olsen, Bennett, and whoever we draft this year develop. It'd be different if Housh was a game-changer. You watch Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss, and they make some jaw-dropping plays. They are legitimate game-changers. Housh is simply a good WR. I'm not sure if he's as good as Bernard Berrian. It's a mistake to throw tons of money at guys like that.

But we still need to sign a veteran WR. Right now we only have Bennet, Davis, and Hester. Which 2nd tier veteran do you like?

With Suggs & Peppers off the market, there really aren't any DE's available who would be an upgrade over Wale or Alex Brown. This makes DE a top priority in the first round IMO.

I'd be thrilled if we signed Khalif Barnes AND St. Clair. Barnes will probably cost 6 years 40+ million. At 26, he can start for us for the next 6 years. He's a proven player which is a helluva a lot better then drafting a guy in the first round and crossing your fingers that he's not a bust. We can sign St. Clair to start at LG and we have the flexibility of moving him to RT or LT if Williams sucks or Barnes gets hurt.

Safety is a top priority. With the news that Peanut will remain at CB and Manning will remain at Nickel, we need to draft a safety AND sign one. The way we go through safeties, we should probably draft two.

The other position is quarterback. I'm all in favor of bringing in Simms, Losman, Leftwich, or any other guy who is young but has experience.

I think we need to make a big splash at FS and WR, the OL/RB and other positions can wait until after the draft.

Targets:

Jermaine Phillips FS - He has played 7 seasons in our style D, productive at creating turnovers

TJ Housmanzadeh WR- yes he's 31, the top WR FA prospect, and nothing to get too overly excited about (like Moose), but we need a go to possesion WR and TJ has been that in Cincy for a while. If he can put up numbers with Fitzpatrick at QB and no running game, he'll be able to put up numbers here. With his age, I'd like to see a 4 year deal and nothing more. I'd also like to draft a RD1/RD2 WR and then maybe a late RD 6-7 flier.

--------------------------------

After the draft, I wait to see who we end up with then go:

Khalif Barnes RT

Brian Dawkins SS

Correll Buckhalter RB

Nate Washington WR

I think we need to make a big splash at FS and WR, the OL/RB and other positions can wait until after the draft.

Targets:

Jermaine Phillips FS - He has played 7 seasons in our style D, productive at creating turnovers

TJ Housmanzadeh WR- yes he's 31, the top WR FA prospect, and nothing to get too overly excited about (like Moose), but we need a go to possesion WR and TJ has been that in Cincy for a while. If he can put up numbers with Fitzpatrick at QB and no running game, he'll be able to put up numbers here. With his age, I'd like to see a 4 year deal and nothing more. I'd also like to draft a RD1/RD2 WR and then maybe a late RD 6-7 flier.

--------------------------------

Khalif Barnes RT

Brian Dawkins SS

Correll Buckhalter RB

Nate Washington WR

Dawkins will likely get resigned by Philly, and potentially so will Buckhalter. If we get Housh and draft a WR early, we wouldn't sign Washington since we already have Hester and Bennett.

I like the idea of signing Banes, Housh and Phillips though, and we have the room to do it.

Targets:

Phillips is considered a strong safety, not a free safety.

How much do you think it will cost to get him????

Khalif Barnes RT

Brian Dawkins SS

Correll Buckhalter RB

Nate Washington WR

Uh . . . you do realize the draft is April 25th, and free agency starts February 27th. That means Most of these guys will be long gone by April . . . hell, some will be signed by the first of March. Waiting is not an option.

Targets:

Phillips is considered a strong safety, not a free safety.

How much do you think it will cost to get him????

Khalif Barnes RT

Brian Dawkins SS

Correll Buckhalter RB

Nate Washington WR

Uh . . . you do realize the draft is April 25th, and free agency starts February 27th. That means Most of these guys will be long gone by April . . . hell, some will be signed by the first of March. Waiting is not an option.

Your right, Phillps is a SS. I'd still wouldn't mind adding him to our mix, he is definately an upgrade over all our other S's.

I'm not sure what Housh will command. Berrian signed a 6 yr 43.4 million w/ 12 mil up front. Heres my offer which he'd probably laugh at 4yr 30 mill w/ 15 guaranteed. We pay him more upfront that way if he declines in 3 years it's cheaper to get out of it.

OK, so the big names will for sure be gone after the first week of FA most likely. I'd still rather wait until after the draft on a RB, but we may need to go after a RT if we don't think one will be available in the draft and ready to contribute right away.