Bucs make big cuts

ostrogoth

Not interested. No saying jack negative about either, and in fact, I remember being very high on June when I thought Briggs was a goner, but now?

We just don't have the money to spend on such luxuries. While it may not be what it once was, LB is still one of our strongest units on the defense, and probably the entire team. It just does not make sense to go out and spend money at LB when we have such glaring holes at most every position on the roster.

I like Derrick Brooks and Cato June. I would be interested to see what they might cost.

Not interested. No saying jack negative about either, and in fact, I remember being very high on June when I thought Briggs was a goner, but now?

We just don't have the money to spend on such luxuries. While it may not be what it once was, LB is still one of our strongest units on the defense, and probably the entire team. It just does not make sense to go out and spend money at LB when we have such glaring holes at most every position on the roster.

I agree but what I am saying is that I don't think we should just overlook them. If it comes out that they want big money then forget it. I am just saying I think we should just send out a feeler to see what they might be looking for. I am not saying sign them until we get our other "glaring holes filled" i.e WR Oline and pass rushing DE and of course safety.

Just me, but I still don't see the point.

Brooks is a WLB. I think we already have one. June is not a SLB. That is where he played for TB the last two years, but also likely a key reason why his play tanked so much going from Indy to TB.

What do we need at LB? Depth and MAYBE you can add a player to compete at SLB, but neither of these two players are good SLBs, and neither are going to be looking at backup roles. I just feel like it would be a waste of a phone call. There are 100 players I would rather Angelo get on the phone w/ rather than waste his time here.

Look, I get it. Some pretty good looking names have been thrown into the pool of late, and as fans, sometimes we can not help but to hear a particular name and think, why not. I would simply prefer to focus our attention on the team holes. Further, I think history has shown we will only add so many FAs, so even if the money did workout, a LB addition would likely still come at the expense of other, greater needs.

I agree but what I am saying is that I don't think we should just overlook them. If it comes out that they want big money then forget it. I am just saying I think we should just send out a feeler to see what they might be looking for. I am not saying sign them until we get our other "glaring holes filled" i.e WR Oline and pass rushing DE and of course safety.

Not sure it's worth the effort... If he can't be relied upon, I'd rather invest time in a young guy who will be around when we have a legit push for something better than our horrible division.

But, with that said...for a cheap price, I'd consider it.

BUT that may make him a cheap pickup

If it was possible to position it to where we could have Urlacher, Briggs, and Brooks all on the field at teh same time I'd be down. Galloway is a little old but still effective when healthy. I'd prefer Coles or Holt but Galloway gives us some nice speed and a deep threat but I don't know if he's the right fit with Orton running the show.

The Bears have tons of cap room. Giving a vet like Brooks a one year or two year deal with a little signing bonus would be chump change, especially since the Bears aren't expected to have to dish out any mega deals this yaer. There is no reason the Bears couldn't resign St. Clair (or sign a FA olineman) plus sign a WR like Holt/Coles, bring in a guy like Brooks and maybe sign a safety that gets cut.

None of the above would screw up the long-term cap rammifications, nor would it prevent the Bears from giving a ton of money to orton if he proves himself this season like I hope he will.

One, where exactly are you going to play Brooks. He is a WLB. Um, I think we already have one of those. And no, I would not be a big fan of shuffling our LBs all over to make room for him.

Two, while we have the cap space (as do most NFL teams this year) that isn't the point. The point, IMHO, is that we are only going to add so many FAs. Take a look at Angelo's history, and show me where he added a bunch of FAs. He usually brings in a couple, plus maybe some veteran minimum additions, but I just do not think you can/should expect us to add many, and if you use up a spot for a LB, I think it is simply going to come at the expense of another position.

The Bears have tons of cap room. Giving a vet like Brooks a one year or two year deal with a little signing bonus would be chump change, especially since the Bears aren't expected to have to dish out any mega deals this yaer. There is no reason the Bears couldn't resign St. Clair (or sign a FA olineman) plus sign a WR like Holt/Coles, bring in a guy like Brooks and maybe sign a safety that gets cut.

None of the above would screw up the long-term cap rammifications, nor would it prevent the Bears from giving a ton of money to orton if he proves himself this season like I hope he will.