Ditka's thought

nfoligno

Heard Ditka last night, and basically said win/win situation. Denver got a lot, and Chicago got a franchise QB. Ditka said he does wonder about Cutler as a leader, but also said that was due to a lack of time as much as recent situations.

Today on Mike & Mike, interview was more in depth. It was obvious Ditka was tired of talking about the trade, and began to tease M & M about calling some foreigh diplomats for their opinion, so Greenie turned the subject some toward the incident leading up to the trade.

Ditka said both sides blew it, and was fairly even keel, but then the coach came out and he talked about how one man is in charge, and that is the coach. Thus, while he felt Denver really screwed the pooch in the whole Cassell thing, he also felt Cutler at the end of the day should likely have gotten in line and been a good soldier, though he is quick to follow up that he understands his side of it too.

What I really liked was when Greenie turned the subject a bit to when Ditka took over the bears, as Ditka had made a comment about how he needed to get rid of some "can't miss" guys when he came to chicago. Ditka said when he went to chicago, he was told there were some can't miss prospects on the roster he couldn't afford to loose, but who he just didn't feel had the heart or character. Greenie asked about the story of Ditka walking into the locker room and actually grabbing the crap out of those players lockers and throwing it in the street. Ditka's response was basically that the stuff wasn't throw into the "street". Funny as hell.

Then Ditka started talking about how he couldn't understand the logic when he entered. Everything was about athleticism, but nothing about character, intelligence or heart. Said he didn't understand the idea of bending over backward for a guy just because he can run and jump w/o thinking twice about his character, etc. That was part of the environment he wanted to change.

Anyway, just and interesting conversation. I honestly do not think it was so much about Cutler, but more about how a coach has to take control of a team, regardless the level of talent which he may have to deal w/, as Denver just went though. Then Greenie transitioned this to when Ditka started playing.

Loved the talk basically about wanting football players over athletes, which is something I have talked about for a while.

Also curious who the "can't miss" athletes were when he came in, and who he essentially threw their stuff out, though not all the way to the street :)

Heard Ditka last night, and basically said win/win situation. Denver got a lot, and Chicago got a franchise QB. Ditka said he does wonder about Cutler as a leader, but also said that was due to a lack of time as much as recent situations.

Today on Mike & Mike, interview was more in depth. It was obvious Ditka was tired of talking about the trade, and began to tease M & M about calling some foreigh diplomats for their opinion, so Greenie turned the subject some toward the incident leading up to the trade.

Ditka said both sides blew it, and was fairly even keel, but then the coach came out and he talked about how one man is in charge, and that is the coach. Thus, while he felt Denver really screwed the pooch in the whole Cassell thing, he also felt Cutler at the end of the day should likely have gotten in line and been a good soldier, though he is quick to follow up that he understands his side of it too.

What I really liked was when Greenie turned the subject a bit to when Ditka took over the bears, as Ditka had made a comment about how he needed to get rid of some "can't miss" guys when he came to chicago. Ditka said when he went to chicago, he was told there were some can't miss prospects on the roster he couldn't afford to loose, but who he just didn't feel had the heart or character. Greenie asked about the story of Ditka walking into the locker room and actually grabbing the crap out of those players lockers and throwing it in the street. Ditka's response was basically that the stuff wasn't throw into the "street". Funny as hell.

Then Ditka started talking about how he couldn't understand the logic when he entered. Everything was about athleticism, but nothing about character, intelligence or heart. Said he didn't understand the idea of bending over backward for a guy just because he can run and jump w/o thinking twice about his character, etc. That was part of the environment he wanted to change.

Anyway, just and interesting conversation. I honestly do not think it was so much about Cutler, but more about how a coach has to take control of a team, regardless the level of talent which he may have to deal w/, as Denver just went though. Then Greenie transitioned this to when Ditka started playing.

Loved the talk basically about wanting football players over athletes, which is something I have talked about for a while.

Also curious who the "can't miss" athletes were when he came in, and who he essentially threw their stuff out, though not all the way to the street :)

since this whole things started people have been pointing the finger at both sides and as this has gotten worse the finger has been pointing towards Cutler way more because Denver has tried to fix it. we all know Cutler went to Denver to talk this out and what did the new young coach do, he pulls a Belicheck and plays the hard ass role. McDaniels didnt think Cutler was going to tell him to suck it, but he did. McDaniels then tries to play nice and make a joke of the whole thiong at the owners meeting. this is the first anyone has ever heard of Cutler being a baby, the person i would like to talk to about this is the HOF bound head coach that Cutler was upset about losing. Maybe Cutler should not have gotten sooo pissed but i think people are making a bigger deal about it then it really is. Shannahan never said a bad thing about him.

Several, including Ditka, made the point that this was not so much about the Cassell trade attempt. That was more like the final aspect of it. Cuter wasn't thrilled Shanny was let go, but hey, its part of the business. But he was skeptical from that point. He was more upset than when his OC was let go. He said he was told the OC would remain (like in Indy when they added Dungy) but it didn't workout. Regardless who you believe, at this point Cutler not very weary about the situation, but keeping everything to himself. Then the team hires some 32 year old HC. Especially when you consider who he is replacing, that is huge. But again, while Cutler may have been very weary, I recall nothing negative being said to the press.

But then this 32 year old new HC, who Cutler was never sure about in the first place, the first thing this HC does is try to trade Cutler for a new QB. At that point, for Cutler, it was like all questions about this new HC were answer, but in the negative. Trust was questionable to begin w/, and after this, there was little chance it would be repaired.

Many will say Cutler handled this poorly. Maybe. But then again, it was a poor situation. He is under contract for a team/boss who he believes doesn't want him. The HC can say whatever he wants, but actions speak louder than words, and the actions were, I want to replace you. Crap situation.

Anyway, I too believe the whole thing was blown up. What kills me is, everyone talks about Cutler's character in this, but how about McDaniels? I know he is the boss, but character matters there too. To me, he basically is trying to be Billichek, which is fine when you have the skins on the wall, but when you are a 32 year old 1st time HC, I think it is a bit more difficult to play that role.

since this whole things started people have been pointing the finger at both sides and as this has gotten worse the finger has been pointing towards Cutler way more because Denver has tried to fix it. we all know Cutler went to Denver to talk this out and what did the new young coach do, he pulls a Belicheck and plays the hard ass role. McDaniels didnt think Cutler was going to tell him to suck it, but he did. McDaniels then tries to play nice and make a joke of the whole thiong at the owners meeting. this is the first anyone has ever heard of Cutler being a baby, the person i would like to talk to about this is the HOF bound head coach that Cutler was upset about losing. Maybe Cutler should not have gotten sooo pissed but i think people are making a bigger deal about it then it really is. Shannahan never said a bad thing about him.

Anyway, I too believe the whole thing was blown up. What kills me is, everyone talks about Cutler's character in this, but how about McDaniels? I know he is the boss, but character matters there too. To me, he basically is trying to be Billichek, which is fine when you have the skins on the wall, but when you are a 32 year old 1st time HC, I think it is a bit more difficult to play that role.

McDaniels clearly cannot hold Billicheck's jockstrap. Say what you want about The King of Boston. But, you won't hear about him backstabbing his players. He may be a hard-a$$. You may not like what you hear. But, at least he'll be honest.

Several, including Ditka, made the point that this was not so much about the Cassell trade attempt. That was more like the final aspect of it. Cuter wasn't thrilled Shanny was let go, but hey, its part of the business. But he was skeptical from that point. He was more upset than when his OC was let go. He said he was told the OC would remain (like in Indy when they added Dungy) but it didn't workout. Regardless who you believe, at this point Cutler not very weary about the situation, but keeping everything to himself. Then the team hires some 32 year old HC. Especially when you consider who he is replacing, that is huge. But again, while Cutler may have been very weary, I recall nothing negative being said to the press.

But then this 32 year old new HC, who Cutler was never sure about in the first place, the first thing this HC does is try to trade Cutler for a new QB. At that point, for Cutler, it was like all questions about this new HC were answer, but in the negative. Trust was questionable to begin w/, and after this, there was little chance it would be repaired.

Many will say Cutler handled this poorly. Maybe. But then again, it was a poor situation. He is under contract for a team/boss who he believes doesn't want him. The HC can say whatever he wants, but actions speak louder than words, and the actions were, I want to replace you. Crap situation.

to add: McDaniels brings Cutler in to meet and the meeting stresses Cutler trusting him and his system. at this point Cutler is playing ball and excited to work with McDaniels. 2 weeks later the guy backstabs him and tries to trade him.

To add to your addition. If you believe Cutler, he was told after Shanny was let go that the OC would be safe. Again, this is similar to what Indy promised Manning before adding dungy. But then Denver fired the OC. Denver owner says that conversation never took place.

No way to know who is telling the truth, but I have to say, Denver's owner's story seemed to have loads of contradictions and holes in the story.

to add: McDaniels brings Cutler in to meet and the meeting stresses Cutler trusting him and his system. at this point Cutler is playing ball and excited to work with McDaniels. 2 weeks later the guy backstabs him and tries to trade him.

It's obvious! Cutler is 100% right and Denver f'ed up! He's a Bear, so ovbiously he's right! ;)

Mmmmm...kool aid tasty! :cheers

To add to your addition. If you believe Cutler, he was told after Shanny was let go that the OC would be safe. Again, this is similar to what Indy promised Manning before adding dungy. But then Denver fired the OC. Denver owner says that conversation never took place.

No way to know who is telling the truth, but I have to say, Denver's owner's story seemed to have loads of contradictions and holes in the story.

[/quote

Since this has started i have been pro Cutler(not because he is a Bear now), big reason cuz Denver admitted to lying to Cutler about trying to trade him. Now does that mean i believe everything Cutler said....no but i cant believe how much people are bashing him. McDaniels asked Cutler to trust him, then tries to trade him and then lies to Cutler about ever trying to trade him. Then McDaniels admitts to trying to trade him and plays the hard ass role that he saw work in NE. I think the owner never thought it would get this nuts and i think he waited too long to try and fix it.

I now love McDaniels for screwing up a relationship with a probowl qb!!!