Sleeper FS pick

AZ54

Seeing as JA loves to grab off the chart DBs here's a guy who might be on his radar if we don't go FS in Rd 2. I'm sure many would be thrilled to have another drafted player changing position if he comes to the Bears.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ati8...o&type=lgns

FS DeAngelo Willingham, Tennessee (5-11, 217)

No prospect in this year’s draft class has endured the type of roller-coaster ride that Willingham has been on since September. He started the year as a mid-round cornerback prospect and was ranked by Blesto and National scouting services as a top-20 senior corner. Willingham’s knack for the big play and timely hit early in the 2008 season got him flying up draft boards and moved him toward a possible first-day pick.

However, after being abused by Alabama WR Julio Jones in late October, his stock began taking a significant dive toward the back end of the draft. He simply didn’t possess the footwork, balance or fluidity needed to play corner in the NFL, and his stock was affected by his weekly struggles. But during postseason workouts and the pro-day circuit, Willingham rebounded with an impressive showing, running a 4.46 40 and displaying good strength with 20 reps on the bench. Scouts started looking at his range, size and knack for the big hit as potential reasons to move him to free safety. In what’s considered a weak FS class, Willingham’s stock has once again seen a spike, and he is now projected to come off the board some time during the mid/late rounds.

Seeing as JA loves to grab off the chart DBs here's a guy who might be on his radar if we don't go FS in Rd 2. I'm sure many would be thrilled to have another drafted player changing position if he comes to the Bears.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ati8...o&type=lgns

FS DeAngelo Willingham, Tennessee (5-11, 217)

No prospect in this year’s draft class has endured the type of roller-coaster ride that Willingham has been on since September. He started the year as a mid-round cornerback prospect and was ranked by Blesto and National scouting services as a top-20 senior corner. Willingham’s knack for the big play and timely hit early in the 2008 season got him flying up draft boards and moved him toward a possible first-day pick.

However, after being abused by Alabama WR Julio Jones in late October, his stock began taking a significant dive toward the back end of the draft. He simply didn’t possess the footwork, balance or fluidity needed to play corner in the NFL, and his stock was affected by his weekly struggles. But during postseason workouts and the pro-day circuit, Willingham rebounded with an impressive showing, running a 4.46 40 and displaying good strength with 20 reps on the bench. Scouts started looking at his range, size and knack for the big hit as potential reasons to move him to free safety. In what’s considered a weak FS class, Willingham’s stock has once again seen a spike, and he is now projected to come off the board some time during the mid/late rounds.

I say 4th RD at best

As someone who hasn't missed a Tennessee home game in 3 years, I'd say that Willingham would be a good pickup no earlier than the 5th round. He played very well for us all season (as for that Alabama game: who didn't Jones abuse this year?), but would definitely be a project. He was a JUCO guy, so he's only started 1 year at a big time school. I think he has the physical ability to be a good FS, but he will definitely need some work.

I've been thinking some about Jonathan Casillas from Wisconsin: a lot of people are projecting him to fit better at strong safety than at OLB. He goes 6'1" 228, and he runs 4.5 - 4.63 in the 40, which is fast enough to play SS. From CBS Sports:

Key and Diagnostic Skills: Casillas is a student of the game and is a very quick reader. He is aggressive getting to the ball and makes good adjustments on the move. He plays with good intensity and a high motor, but his lack of strength and size are concerns, especially when he tries to battle linemen in the trenches. He has good vision and ball anticipation skills, as he is generally in position to make the play. He is quick to react to keys and is the type that will patiently wait on misdirection rather than over-commit.

Lateral Pursuit/Range: Casillas has very good speed and athletic ability to make plays sideline-to-sideline. He sifts through trash and has a sudden burst to close. He can knife through on the block, but can be stopped when he is contested. He demonstrates lateral quickness and has the burst to slip through tight areas. He flies around in pursuit and shows the range and change of direction agility to get in front of the ball carrier to make the tackle in space.

Pass Defense: Casillas is very alert to the quarterback when dropping back in pass coverage. He has more than enough speed to blanket the tight end and runs tight on the hip of receivers during wheel routes downfield. He anticipates the play well and shows good urgency coming up to impact on underneath routes. Due to a lack of bulk and because of his impressive timed speed, some teams might even look at him as a strong safety, where his lack of strength playing in the box would not be an issue. He has the quickness and the change of direction agility to run with backs and tight ends up the seam and has the speed to get depth in his pass drop. He is flexible and fluid working in space, showing the vision and ability to play under control. He also shows good hip snap to accelerate quickly coming out of his backpedal.

Zone Defense: Casillas shows the instincts and good anticipation skills to jump the route or play the ball. He is very aware of patterns developing and comes off the ball quickly to gain position and handle the receivers on crossing routes. He shows good zone drop awareness with above average pattern read ability. He also shows a good burst to close.

I know that free safety is the bigger area of need, but if we can spend a 4th/5th to avoid starting Kevin Payne again, I'm all for it.

I've been thinking some about Jonathan Casillas from Wisconsin: a lot of people are projecting him to fit better at strong safety than at OLB. He goes 6'1" 228, and he runs 4.5 - 4.63 in the 40, which is fast enough to play SS. From CBS Sports:

Key and Diagnostic Skills: Casillas is a student of the game and is a very quick reader. He is aggressive getting to the ball and makes good adjustments on the move. He plays with good intensity and a high motor, but his lack of strength and size are concerns, especially when he tries to battle linemen in the trenches. He has good vision and ball anticipation skills, as he is generally in position to make the play. He is quick to react to keys and is the type that will patiently wait on misdirection rather than over-commit.

Lateral Pursuit/Range: Casillas has very good speed and athletic ability to make plays sideline-to-sideline. He sifts through trash and has a sudden burst to close. He can knife through on the block, but can be stopped when he is contested. He demonstrates lateral quickness and has the burst to slip through tight areas. He flies around in pursuit and shows the range and change of direction agility to get in front of the ball carrier to make the tackle in space.

Pass Defense: Casillas is very alert to the quarterback when dropping back in pass coverage. He has more than enough speed to blanket the tight end and runs tight on the hip of receivers during wheel routes downfield. He anticipates the play well and shows good urgency coming up to impact on underneath routes. Due to a lack of bulk and because of his impressive timed speed, some teams might even look at him as a strong safety, where his lack of strength playing in the box would not be an issue. He has the quickness and the change of direction agility to run with backs and tight ends up the seam and has the speed to get depth in his pass drop. He is flexible and fluid working in space, showing the vision and ability to play under control. He also shows good hip snap to accelerate quickly coming out of his backpedal.

Zone Defense: Casillas shows the instincts and good anticipation skills to jump the route or play the ball. He is very aware of patterns developing and comes off the ball quickly to gain position and handle the receivers on crossing routes. He shows good zone drop awareness with above average pattern read ability. He also shows a good burst to close.

I know that free safety is the bigger area of need, but if we can spend a 4th/5th to avoid starting Kevin Payne again, I'm all for it.

Shoot, that sounds like a replacement for Url. Get him and beef him up a little.

Shoot, that sounds like a replacement for Url. Get him and beef him up a little.

The same scouting report says Casillas' frame looks maxed out at 229. He might not even be able to get up to Lance Briggs' size, much less Urlacher's. I like him as a SS or nickel LB, though.

As far as a replacement for Urlacher, I think the Bears have to find a way to trade back into the first round in 2010, then grab Mark Herzlich from Boston College.

He could start out on the strong side, then in a year or two he'd be the perfect guy to take over for Urlacher.

The same scouting report says Casillas' frame looks maxed out at 229. He might not even be able to get up to Lance Briggs' size, much less Urlacher's. I like him as a SS or nickel LB, though.

As far as a replacement for Urlacher, I think the Bears have to find a way to trade back into the first round in 2010, then grab Mark Herzlich from Boston College.

He could start out on the strong side, then in a year or two he'd be the perfect guy to take over for Urlacher.

It is going to be tough to trade up into the 1st round with the 64th pick of the draft, :rolleyes: