Jarron Gilbert it is at 68

Ed Hochuli 3:16

No question I wanted others, but

(a) Gilbert was the best (or among the best) remaining available for many, thus I don't think we can argue the value aspect

(B) as much as we have other needs, I think DT may be an under-rated need

© I agree WR is a huge need, but at the same time, the way it is going, I think similar or equal WRs will be available at the end of the 3rd as were available for us early 3rd.

I don't like this.

At all.

Will Gilbert be a DT or DE in our system? Draft guides list him as a DE, but he's pretty big . . . although he's also very athletic.

He'll probably start at DT at his current weight, and maybe line up at DE in some cases.

Then again, he could lose 15-20 pounds and become a full time DE. Who knows?

No question I wanted others, but

(a) Gilbert was the best (or among the best) remaining available for many, thus I don't think we can argue the value aspect

(B) as much as we have other needs, I think DT may be an under-rated need

© I agree WR is a huge need, but at the same time, the way it is going, I think similar or equal WRs will be available at the end of the 3rd as were available for us early 3rd.

Oddly, I agree. And this kid is a freak. I'm confused as to whether this is a DE or DT though. I think he's a better fit at DE.

I would say DT. He played both, I think, in college, and many project him outside, but our system uses lighter DTs and he just seemed like a prime fit for DT in the cover 2.

Dusty is on his way out.

He'll probably start at DT at his current weight, and maybe line up at DE in some cases.

Then again, he could lose 15-20 pounds and become a full time DE. Who knows?

I think he is a DE for many schemes, but in ours, he is a prime candidate to play DT. 288lb would be on the light side to play DT for most schemes, but in ours, it is closer to ideal. Also, 288 is way heavy to play DE in our scheme. Even if he lost some weight, he is nearly 30 lbs heavier than either of our DEs.

I think he will be immediately added to our DT rotation, and between he, Harris and Harrison, I think DT could become a huge area of strength, now and long term.

I would say it is possible he could kick outside on run downs, but I think the main area we are looking at him is at DT.

Oddly, I agree. And this kid is a freak. I'm confused as to whether this is a DE or DT though. I think he's a better fit at DE.

I think he is a DE for many schemes, but in ours, he is a prime candidate to play DT. 288lb would be on the light side to play DT for most schemes, but in ours, it is closer to ideal. Also, 288 is way heavy to play DE in our scheme. Even if he lost some weight, he is nearly 30 lbs heavier than either of our DEs.

I think he will be immediately added to our DT rotation, and between he, Harris and Harrison, I think DT could become a huge area of strength, now and long term.

I would say it is possible he could kick outside on run downs, but I think the main area we are looking at him is at DT.

So does this mean that Dusty is likely out of the mix? I know you weren't a big fan of his, but I'm just sick and damn tired of drafting DT's early every year and have so little to show for it.

We drafted Harris, and I would argue we have a lot to show for it. We drafted Harrison, and he looked pretty good. Dusty was a bust. Who else did we draft relatively early at DT?

Again, as I said elsewhere, Dt is the key position in the cover 2, and the position you draft until you are set. We now have a great potential rotation.

Hey, I wanted some other positions too, but in this kid, we get great value and I personally believe several of the players (WR/DE/DB) we might have been talking about for this pick could still be there for our next. Still no WRs have been drafted in the 3rd, meaning a good chance Iglesias, Murphy, or who ever falls to us. Ditto Rashad Johnson, Sidbury, etc.

The only player that hurt to pass on for me was Michael Johnson, who was drafted a couple spots later. But IMHO, Gilbert is to DT what MJ is to DE. Both are physical freaks.

So does this mean that Dusty is likely out of the mix? I know you weren't a big fan of his, but I'm just sick and damn tired of drafting DT's early every year and have so little to show for it.

This will be very interesting to hear where we project him. In most schemes, he would seem like an ideal LDE, and thus a solid replacement for Wale, who is a FA next year. On the other hand, in our scheme, he almost seems to big to be a DE. Maybe he has the explosion to play DE in our scheme despite his size, but I still think we are looking at him more at DT.

I have no issues with this pick. He can be a LDE and replace OGY. Take the best player on your board which the Bears did.

Peace :dabears

We drafted Harris, and I would argue we have a lot to show for it. We drafted Harrison, and he looked pretty good. Dusty was a bust. Who else did we draft relatively early at DT?

Tank. He was a fairly high 2nd round pick. As for Dusty, while he's done nothing after 3 years, I was still optimistic that he'd turn it around.

Again, as I said elsewhere, Dt is the key position in the cover 2, and the position you draft until you are set. We now have a great potential rotation.

My problem is that we say that literally EVERY year, since every year we're adding & drafting players. Yet every year our DT's dissappoint.

Hey, I wanted some other positions too, but in this kid, we get great value and I personally believe several of the players (WR/DE/DB) we might have been talking about for this pick could still be there for our next. Still no WRs have been drafted in the 3rd, meaning a good chance Iglesias, Murphy, or who ever falls to us. Ditto Rashad Johnson, Sidbury, etc.

I can't argue with that. If we can significantly upgrade in 3 positions . . .

The only player that hurt to pass on for me was Michael Johnson, who was drafted a couple spots later. But IMHO, Gilbert is to DT what MJ is to DE. Both are physical freaks.

I'd have been much happier with Johnson. DE is a far greater need.

Tank. He was a fairly high 2nd round pick. As for Dusty, while he's done nothing after 3 years, I was still optimistic that he'd turn it around.

Forgot him. But though we draft him high, he is gone so it doesn't really matter. As for Dusty, I am just very down on him. He was flat out awful last year, and I think the staff has all be given up on him. Durability issues (IR all three NFL seasons) combined w/ being flat out awful when he was on the field last year. IMHO, as soon as he was out of the lineup, our DL picked up. Also, once he was out, Urlacher and Harris began to play better.

My problem is that we say that literally EVERY year, since every year we're adding & drafting players. Yet every year our DT's dissappoint.

Not sure I agree. Harris is a pro bowler. Harrison showed enough to give some hope. Dusty was okay, but character sent him packing. Really, Dusty was the only pure bust top 3 round DT picked.

I'd have been much happier with Johnson. DE is a far greater need.

Still possible we are looking at Gilbert as a DE. Also, what if we get Sidbury still?

I like the player but we certainly didn't address one of our top needs.

I don't know, I'd say that defensive end, wide receiver,and safety were our top three needs. I don't know if there is an impact WR on the board and safeties tend to develop from practically any round in the draft (just depends on the guy you pick) and this end has special athletic ability. I don't mind the pick at all. Sucks that there was a recent run on wideouts, but I think the Bears are going to draft a safety here.