Some New Numbers on the Field

defiantgiant

Per the Bears' website, Earl Bennett is changing his number from 85 to 80. Apparently he wanted to go back to his college number (10) but the NFL won't let you switch from an 80-89 number to a 10-19 number. Seems like a dumb rule to me.

However, he's now got 80, Berrian's old number. The superstitious part of me thinks that could be a good thing. The article also lists the new rookies' numbers, and there are a couple of other familiar ones:

Earl Bennett: 80 (Bernard Berrian)

Al Afalava: 46 (Chris Harris, Doug Plank)

Mike Rivera: 59 (Rosevelt Colvin, Ron Rivera)

Derek Kinder: 83 (Willie Gault)

D.J. Moore: 30 (Mike Brown)

...then again, Rashied Davis has Bobby Engram's old number, so maybe it doesn't mean anything.

Per the Bears' website, Earl Bennett is changing his number from 85 to 80. Apparently he wanted to go back to his college number (10) but the NFL won't let you switch from an 80-89 number to a 10-19 number. Seems like a dumb rule to me.

However, he's now got 80, Berrian's old number. The superstitious part of me thinks that could be a good thing. The article also lists the new rookies' numbers, and there are a couple of other familiar ones:

Earl Bennett: 80 (Bernard Berrian)

Al Afalava: 46 (Chris Harris, Doug Plank)

Mike Rivera: 59 (Rosevelt Colvin, Ron Rivera)

Derek Kinder: 83 (Willie Gault)

...then again, Rashied Davis has Bobby Engram's old number, so maybe it doesn't mean anything.

Speaking of superstition back in the 70's the Bears had a helluva cover corner named Alan Ellis who wore number 48 and he tangled feet with a WR named Bo Rather who wore number 80 at practice and tore up his knee so that has been a real interesting number. There is even some defensive players who have wore the number.

To me this one will be the oddest one of them all. For many of us there's a special place in our hearts for Mike Brown and seeing someone else wearing #30 it's going to take some getting used to. Nothing against DJ Moore I like the kid. just going to be strange.

To me this one will be the oddest one of them all. For many of us there's a special place in our hearts for Mike Brown and seeing someone else wearing #30 it's going to take some getting used to. Nothing against DJ Moore I like the kid. just going to be strange.

I agree, Mike Brown is the face of the Bears' defense for me, much more so than Urlacher. I was so glad to see him back on the field for a whole season, flying around and leveling people. I'm still a little shocked that they didn't want to bring him back, if only to tutor the new guys.

Still, Moore seems like a guy who'll work hard and live up to his billing. I'm not saying he compares to Mike Brown at all, but after hearing a couple of interviews with him, I won't mind him wearing #30.

I agree, Mike Brown is the face of the Bears' defense for me, much more so than Urlacher. I was so glad to see him back on the field for a whole season, flying around and leveling people. I'm still a little shocked that they didn't want to bring him back, if only to tutor the new guys.

Still, Moore seems like a guy who'll work hard and live up to his billing. I'm not saying he compares to Mike Brown at all, but after hearing a couple of interviews with him, I won't mind him wearing #30.

How would you guys like to see a player wearing Dick Butkus' number? Thats what a lot of us had to deal with when Jim Morrissey was wearing that number as a rookie on the 85 squad. Butkus is the defensive face of this franchise.

Prior to Mike Singletary's arrival the numver 50 was worn by HOF center Mike Pyle who also used to do the analysis on preseason games with Johnny Morris #47 who held quite a few of the Bears' receiving records until Marty Booker broke them. Imagine how I felt when I saw a Ken Grandberry RB and Brian Baschnagel waering his number 47.

How did you feel when Shane Matthews wore Jim McMahon and Bill Wade's number 9 or when a guy like Tank Johnson , Tim Ryan and Jim Flannigan wore Dan Hampton's 99?

How dare Brian Urlacher wear Tom Hicks and Larry Ely's number! LOL Its almost as bad as when Wilbur Marshall wore Bob Peferini and Jerry Muckensterm's number.

Rumor has it that Len Walterscheid and Shaun Gayle are trying to receive royalties as a result of Devin Hester wearing their jersey.

Guys this has been happening for decades and now with the constant movement of plsyers via free agency, trade and salary cuts I have grown very accustomed to players wearing a recent legendary number.