OTA Highlights

SoxFan1

wow, I think Hester looked very good out there

He did. Nice to see him catching the ball with his hands and not his body. Obviously that video is cut together and the dropped passes removed but I have a feeling the receivers are starting to get used to a ball arriving on target and in a hurry. This will be an education for the WR group they are not used to playing with a QB of this caliber. Once they click I have a feeling we'll see a night and day difference in the passing game. WR not having to break stride or adjust to locate the ball. The more adjustment they have to make the easier it is for DB's to close in and make plays either on the ball or making the tackle. I think with Cutler our WRs moves and cuts and routes will be more effective. A well executed double move does no good if you have to stop, locate and adjust to the ball.

Man Cutler throws a nice tight spiral and it is placed well. His mechanics are sound and he has a cannon, and he's mobile. I can't wait for Aug either, I have a feeling that these "no names" will be known by the end of the season. We finally have a guy behind center who can make guys around him better rather than require the other 10 guys around him be good to make him look average.

One thing I do hope our WR's improve in this year and it's been one of my gripes for a while now is that if you can't make the catch you better darn well make sure the DB can't either. I don't want to see anymore half hearted efforts to break up interceptions. It's maddening to watch a receiver give up because he can't make the catch only to see it picked off when the WR had a chance to knock it away.

The last route by Hester is unstoppable. EVERY DB in the league has to respect his speed. When he gives them the stop and go, they have to think that the first stop was the only route-change.

I said before the draft that the Bears' WRs were better than nearly everyone gave them credit for. It's just hard to get going when the OL sucks, the QB is constantly hurried and is already somewhat inconsistent, and the OC has the imagination of a brick.

Watch for Earl Bennett and Devin Hester to shine this year now that two problems from last year - with OL being the worst - have been addressed. Let's just hope that Garza doesn't get the starting nod at OG and ruin the whole thing like Billy Bob in Varsity Blues.

The last route by Hester is unstoppable. EVERY DB in the league has to respect his speed. When he gives them the stop and go, they have to think that the first stop was the only route-change.

Yeah, that double move looks pretty sharp. I remember Hester getting pretty wide open with that a couple of times toward the end of last season.